Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Illinbah

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • Beauty

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

peanut

Likes Dirt
The Pietermaritzburg - South African World Cup this year is in the second week of April (3rd till the 12th). The old its "snowing when they race the world cups" is a bit redundant now.

Bring on Thredbo.
I seem to recall a dh event was cancelled at thredbo in early april in 07?, after qualifiying runs because it was too cold to hold the final.(or something along those lines)
If you get the right weather it's o.k, but since when has the weather in the mountains ever been predictable?...never!

peanut

Likes Dirt
I vote anywhere that has the resources, backing and man power to pull it off....

Most of the places in the poll fail those three traits
agree with ^^^^ and will also add, i would vote for those venues who actually applied to host the event....you don't win lotto if you don't enter the draw do you!.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I vote Mt Keira in Wollongong cause it's the sickest track in Australia by far!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

TBH the only track in Australia that is perfectly situated in that whole list is Canberra.
It's in the middle of the coast (pretty darn close) and is close to a major city and has quite a bit of room for pits etc.
It just has all the facilities and accessability that a few of the others in the poll lack.

I think Thredbo, the track needs to be slightly changed more challenging I think. Having a 6:15minute (pro times) time track would be different to what the normal world cup 3-5minutes tracks are like, I would be voting Thredbo or Mt Buller, cause of a chairlift, the hill is nice, there is lots of parking and accommodation and facilities, despite what people complain if you rode it for the first time again as a pro, it would a great track I think, there is plenty of space for a village down below the chairlift on the mulch, and I have always liked Thredbo it feels like ma home track, just good vibes there. Not as close as Canberra but I think it would suite a world cup more, if they spent the money spent on Mt Stromlo making Thredbo better.....it could be easily a world cup park, but no avail national parks.
I do agree with this but it need better facilities such as food etc.

I know there is Jindy but it is quite small. also it is a 1 and a half hour drive from Canberra if ur going decent and the closest hospital is Cooma and that's a shitty little thing.
The would definately need a better medicle facilty set-up. But as you said money is key and a lot would be need to make it good and up to scratch but it can be dont.

Last edited:

Cronar

Likes Dirt
When will you numbskulls get it through your head that we are lucky to have a World cup/champs in Oz at all.

Canberra may not have the world greatest DH track, but the venue is world class and the XC course is one of the toughest out there.

CORC went through a lot of hard work to get this event for YOU people and you all go and bitch that it should be somewhere else. Well no one else put there hands up for the hard work, and no one else has the infrastructure to pull this event off.

I was at the world cup last year and it was amazing, the crowd, riding and atmosphere were crazy, Even with the so called "shit track" which most of the top guys liked anyway. And yes the sprint for the finish is being fixed

So i'm voting stromlo, because no one else could pull it off.

Sorry about the drunken rant, but this issue has been pissing me off for ages.

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
When will you numbskulls get it through your head that we are lucky to have a World cup/champs in Oz at all.

Canberra may not have the world greatest DH track, but the venue is world class and the XC course is one of the toughest out there.

CORC went through a lot of hard work to get this event for YOU people and you all go and bitch that it should be somewhere else. Well no one else put there hands up for the hard work, and no one else has the infrastructure to pull this event off.

I was at the world cup last year and it was amazing, the crowd, riding and atmosphere were crazy, Even with the so called "shit track" which most of the top guys liked anyway. And yes the sprint for the finish is being fixed

So i'm voting stromlo, because no one else could pull it off.

Sorry about the drunken rant, but this issue has been pissing me off for ages.
i can see your point, i know that Aus is friggen lucky to hold a round but i just think it should of gone to a better track, like Illinbah. Its not like its a problem to get to it or anything ( theres 2 airports near by Brissy and Coolangatta) I think a better track could of lead to better raceing.
Also im not too sure as i dont race XC but im pretty sure that illinbah's XC is pretty top-notch.
Any hoo thats just my oppinion:)

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Sorry to change the topic, but does anyone know how exactly the ending of the stromlo dh is being changed?

Cronar

Likes Dirt
i can see your point, i know that Aus is friggen lucky to hold a round but i just think it should of gone to a better track, like Illinbah. Its not like its a problem to get to it or anything ( theres 2 airports near by Brissy and Coolangatta) I think a better track could of lead to better raceing.
Also im not too sure as i dont race XC but im pretty sure that illinbah's XC is pretty top-notch.
Any hoo thats just my oppinion:)
Come on dude, are you not listening, the Gold Coast Club didn't put up an offer that I know of, and if they did it couldn't match Canberra, Yeah Illinbah is probably the best track in Oz, but you need the infrastructure and the people to back it up.

Canberra has the tracks, club (people), infrastructure to hold the champs, so deal with it and get your self down there for the champs. Go stand at Triple treat as the worlds best ride by and tell me Stromlo sucks then!

my_bike

Likes Dirt
yep, the track has to be within an hour or something of an airport, which most of them don't achieve, story over red rover.
Actual that is not entirely correct. One of the reasons which I heard a while back was that they chose Canberra that they could see the airport from the top of Mt. Stromlo. Some of the other locations are a some 5 hours away.

casey79

Likes Dirt
Actual that is not entirely correct. One of the reasons which I heard a while back was that they chose Canberra that they could see the airport from the top of Mt. Stromlo. Some of the other locations are a some 5 hours away.
Yeah its close to a airport. but most teams still hired vans from Sydney and drove down.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
i can see your point, i know that Aus is friggen lucky to hold a round but i just think it should of gone to a better track,)
FFS, how many times does it need to be said that they don't pick a country and then award it to a track in that country. The venue has to apply and it has to have the backing to do so.

CORC applied and are pumping $1mil into the champs. No other venue applied and I doubt any other club has the backing to commit to that sort of coin,

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
FFS, how many times does it need to be said that they don't pick a country and then award it to a track in that country. The venue has to apply and it has to have the backing to do so.

CORC applied and are pumping $1mil into the champs. No other venue applied and I doubt any other club has the backing to commit to that sort of coin,
plus, there are various other considerations that the UCI consider, locality to an international airport for one

in terms of money, Mt Buller has some pretty heavy financial backing behind it...........

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
illinbah would be great except you could say the transport up isn't great.
thredbo has it's chairlift and it is a great track and will give me a good excuse to get down there again except for the aforementioned snow.

can't comment on anywhere else though as i have not been there...

dhd

Downhill Direct
Sick as! You can see the airport from my place......On that logic, I'm gunna hold a WC in my back yard.........

morgs

morgs
Sick as! You can see the airport from my place......On that logic, I'm gunna hold a WC in my back yard.........
Wicked! We could probably get your street closed and start at the top of the hill then drop of the retaining wall and into your garage! You'll need a bigger beer fridge though. Better ask the missus before you put a bid in to the UCI.