World Cup Question?

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Champery comfirmed for 2011 World Champs. Small revisions to a hurriedly built world cup track will make it a little less deathly but it will retain the gnarly steepness.

MARKL

Eats Squid
WC at barjarg FTW;) sort the men from the boys...

if sam hill was coming first on stromlo would we have this debate?
yeah we would still be having this debate... watch the video's of Val di Sol or Champerey they are real deal as far as down hill tracks go. Super steep, super technical - seperated the men from the boys. There is a really simple rule for designing downhill tracks...recognise when you are at the bottom of the hill and put up the finish line! don't pretend the track is longer than it really is....(I know there are rules about the length/time for the track but quality not quantity people)

The XC course at Stromlo was awesome, everything the downhill course wasn't.:)

Organisation was excellent, everyone was very helpful and it was a great event overall...I just can't forget watching Sam (or Gee or Peaty or Rennie hitting the tree:eek:) threading the needle through the roughest parts of Val di Sol on freecaster and going faaaaaark!!!!!! and thats before he crashed:mad:

S.

ex offender
Champery comfirmed for 2011 World Champs. Small revisions to a hurriedly built world cup track will make it a little less deathly but it will retain the gnarly steepness.
Sick... so, who's gonna come 2nd?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
OK - here is the info you asked for - but please remember that it is all provisional - September 2009 is still a long way off...

The current World Champs schedule is attached. There are 3 big days at the World Champs:
. Friday is U23 Men XC and then 4X at night
. Saturday is Elite Men and Women XC, with Junior Trials
. Sunday is DH plus Elite Trials
However, other World racing starts as far back as the Tuesday with the National team Relay.

We had some kids entertainment this year (jumping castles, face painting etc) and you can expect that + more for next year. Also, the champs schedule provides for more events to watch because there are age categories at a World Champs, not just the Open categories you get at a World Cup.

There will also be some races for the kids.

We have taken onboard the feedback about food quality.

There will be 3 daily ticket prices. Costs are estimate at this stage and are shown for the online purchase discount. Tickets purchased on the day will cost more:
. $17 for Adult (age 17 and over)
. $13 for Child (age 13 to 16)
. Free for Under 13 accompanied by an adult
. There will be a family pass option which will cover 2 adults + 3 children, at $50 per day, a saving of up to $23 per day.

Your ticket will include:
. entry to the venue
. access to grandstands
. car parking, bus to/from Canberra interchanges, or secure bike storage at the venue
. bus rides up the mountain, to the top or to selected viewing spots,

There will be an option to purchase a whole-of-event ticket (covers 6 days of competition + practice days) for any of the entry options, for 2.75 times the daily cost. For example:

. a family pass for the entire event would cost $137.50, a saving of $162.50 compared to purchasing daily family passes.

. an adult pass for the entire event would cost $46.75, a saving of $55.25 compared to purchasing daily adult entry passes.

Now, for the "bad" news. Remember, this is not our venue. Legally, it is the same as going to Canberra Stadium or Manuka Oval ......
. the venue will be fenced. This includes the 4X and Triple Treat.
. there will be no parking on Uriarra or Cotter Roads (unless you are prepared for the brown envelope under your wipers).
. there will be stricter enforcing of the "esky" rule by security staff.

The current plan is for 3 big screens:
. DH finish
. 4X (facing up the hill so it is visible for the 4X spectators)
. Triple Treat

There is also a plan for a large (1500 seat) grandstand on the southern side of the DH/4X finish area - the opposite side to where the hot seat was for the World Cup. You will get better visibility of the big screen from this grandstand.
Can we put in a request? Have some decent merchandise there! The World Cup round had $70 "t-shirts" that weren't t-shirts. I saw Adelaides T's and they look very cool. Do something decent and don't charge us like wounded bulls. Umbrellas, caps etc would all be great.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
what's the official esky rule?
Well, officially Stromlo Forest Park is just like the other major Canberra sporting venues (Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval), so the rule you need to apply is "would I be allowed to take this into a Raiders game at Canberra Stadium" - and I think the answer to that for Eskys is "No". There is a degree of comn sense applied to this - I know you can take in a small "6 pack" esky with some food etc in it, but you certainly can't take in a large esky.

We will get an official answer for bringing in your own food and drink and it will be published well before the World Champs.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Can we put in a request? Have some decent merchandise there! The World Cup round had $70 "t-shirts" that weren't t-shirts. I saw Adelaides T's and they look very cool. Do something decent and don't charge us like wounded bulls. Umbrellas, caps etc would all be great.
Yep - we stuffed up there.

Its not that the T shirts we had were overpriced for what they were. Those 2XU shirts we were selling for $70 have an rrp of $85 and they are a really great shirt - but they're not great if you don't need one.

The problem is that we had a range of merchandise that was not suited to the bulk of the audience at the World Cup. We are planing for a less expensive range to cover the need for a cheap "I went to the Canberra World Champs" T shirt.

I saw Adelaides T's and they look very cool.
Yes - but did you buy one? They had a huge amount left over at the end of the weekend.

Last edited:

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
awesome, i wanna see it fucking lash with rain again:D

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just adding my two cents. Having a large screen at the triple treat area would be awesome and add to the already great atmosphere that was there last time. As it would be great to be able to see what was going on in the top sections of the track as the commentator only really started up when he could see the riders at/after the triple treat section. Or atleast a bigger/better sound system in place as it was quite hard to hear the commentator at the bottom and I know at times people were straining to hear the results.
As for the merchandise I was slightly dissapointed with what was there as I was one of those looking for a shirt that said CANBERRA WORLD CUP 08 or something along those lines. Instead it seemed like they were only selling jerseys or shirts that weren't really day to day shirts or really even promoting the world cup and again as stated the price was well above the price range.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yep - we stuffed up there.

Its not that the T shirts we had were overpriced for what they were. Those 2XU shirts we were selling for $70 have an rrp of $85 and they are a really great shirt - but they're not great if you don't need one.

The problem is that we had a range of merchandise that was not suited to the bulk of the audience at the World Cup. We are planing for a less expensive range to cover the need for a cheap "I went to the Canberra World Champs" T shirt.
That's right....and that's exactly where I fit in. All I wanted was a "I went to the World Cup, and all I got was this lowsy t-shirt" t-shirt. If the world champs has got those, you'll get my money!

Yes - but did you buy one? They had a huge amount left over at the end of the weekend.
Nope, wasn't lucky enought to go, if I did....I would have got one. Left orders with mates that went to Illinbah for a T if they had any. I hope to be going to the Youies round....and if they have one, I'll get one.

My point is, which I think you know, is the Champs will be huge. People will drop $30 to $40 on a t-shirt to remember they were there. Or to rub in the face of those that weren't.

Oh, and if CORC decides to host another WC round in 2010, my family will come!!!! This years round was the greatest sporting experience of my life.