World cup team changes rumor thread

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
No disrespect to Santa Cruz but realistically could they even afford Gwin in his current form? Despite if people dislike them, they can't truthfully deny that Specialized are one of the biggest bike company's in the world and can pay more than most other company's. Only way I can see Gwin leaving is through an outside company being the primary sponsor, not a bike brand.

Its funny you say that, Greg Minnaar and Steve Peat are 2 of the biggest powerhouses in DH. They've got pretty lucrative independant endorsements too because thats whole point of the SC Sindicate. Whats to say that Gwin couldn't fit the mold? He can bring his own cohort of sponsors along for the ride.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its funny you say that, Greg Minnaar and Steve Peat are 2 of the biggest powerhouses in DH. They've got pretty lucrative independant endorsements too because thats whole point of the SC Sindicate. Whats to say that Gwin couldn't fit the mold? He can bring his own cohort of sponsors along for the ride.
Would the current roster of riders be willing to take a pay cut to allow him to join? If not it seems like a huge investment now for a company that doesn't struggle to have a good reputation for their DH bikes, I haven't met a single person who's ever had a bad thing to say about the V10's. I just fail to see what Gwin would add to their line up from a business point of view as the 3 current riders are huge names (with 2 who still perform at the top levels adn win races) and everyone universally likes unlike other rides such as Gee.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Would the current roster of riders be willing to take a pay cut to allow him to join? If not it seems like a huge investment now for a company that doesn't struggle to have a good reputation for their DH bikes, I haven't met a single person who's ever had a bad thing to say about the V10's. I just fail to see what Gwin would add to their line up from a business point of view as the 3 current riders are huge names (with 2 who still perform at the top levels adn win races) and everyone universally likes unlike other rides such as Gee.
The Top step of the podium?

huckitup

Likes Dirt
No disrespect to Santa Cruz but realistically could they even afford Gwin in his current form? Despite if people dislike them, they can't truthfully deny that Specialized are one of the biggest bike company's in the world and can pay more than most other company's. Only way I can see Gwin leaving is through an outside company being the primary sponsor, not a bike brand.

Is there anything beyond friendship between Fearon and Shaw? Connor posted up a pic of them both training in the gym together here in Australia. I know he was here for Cannonball but just assumed they'd managed to pay to get some international riders here to increase the calibre of the event.
A certain car brand that has made a mtb in the past is what I heard

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I don't expect that SC would be paying them all that much anyway, the format of that particular team allows them to have all their personal sponsors on board - I'm sure Greg makes a killing from Oakley, Oneal, et al. If Gwin came along, it wouldn't be because SC would be paying a lots, but that he'd be allowed to endorse whoever the hell he likes - which was why he was stoked to be on Specialized. But yeah.... all speculation, he'll probably end up on Yeti for all I know.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the Gwin front, is Redbull becoming his title a possibility similar to Redbull/KTM in the sx? No evidence, just a random thought seeing as he's already a redbull athlete and they are yet to have a team in DH despite sponsoring it quite heavily.

jbg

Likes Dirt
bummed to see Gwinn leave the team but I think Specialized will have a very fast team in 16
YeT to see how a small company can pay Gwinn what the big s couldn't?
Sure we will know all in a few hours

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
YeT to see how a small company can pay Gwinn what the big s couldn't?
Easy. A companY such as Red Bull become the Title sponsor, then there's cash to splash wherever it's needed to get a new team up to speed as quicklY as possible. It fiTs the Red Bull MO too.

You know iT makes sense....

Last edited:

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it is a YT team then my money's on Dean Lucas to be his teammate.

*edit* Actually just remembered his Grandma apparently said it was good he'd be with Aussies so maybe not.

Last edited:

jarrod839

Banned
YT can certainly afford Gwinn and all signs point for him to join YT.
Really hope he does as the tues is a super quick bike. Could be bad for trying to buy a yt as its nearly impossible to get one and not be on a 3 to 6 month waiting list.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't expect that SC would be paying them all that much anyway, the format of that particular team allows them to have all their personal sponsors on board - I'm sure Greg makes a killing from Oakley, Oneal, et al. If Gwin came along, it wouldn't be because SC would be paying a lots, but that he'd be allowed to endorse whoever the hell he likes - which was why he was stoked to be on Specialized. But yeah.... all speculation, he'll probably end up on Yeti for all I know.
I like were ajay`s going . It has to be Intense or SC . Both are high end frame focused complete build`s ' trying ' . But Intense , since CK and Bernat really have`t been up on the steps and thats not taking away from Josh Button or Jack thats on fire right now . Has anyone asked Jack ? . He`s on here .

huckitup

Likes Dirt
yt won't be his main sponsor just supplying the frame a non mtb company will be his main sponsor footing his ridiculous price tag
No surprise the big s refused