World Marathon Championship start list

akashra

Eats Squid
More surprising to me is that it's such a small field, especially in the womens. 38 riders, most of them from Germany and Italy, in a world champs of that length?
(Edit: just counted, 18 out of 38 are from either Germany or Italy).

Beechie

Banned
Yep

Yep it would be good to see a couple of Aussies in the event.
Rangie
Perhaps we should send one of the riders who are racing in europe already, if cost is an issue.
I wonder if the riders over there are XC racers and not marathons trained at present?
I am unsure who the "we" is to pay for this - PM me and I will sned you my $2 to start the collection. Who is this "we", political contributions are pretty thin on the ground for mountain biking (NFL, Olympic teams etc) get the lot.
We = Rotorburners, ASC, HP, CA, MTBA etc .......

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I wonder if the riders over there are XC racers and not marathons trained at present? .
Mike Blewitt is in Europe now racing Stage races and marathons, with the selection criteria published so late he may have already committed to a different schedule. He didn't make the automatic selection criteria and I'm not sure if he applied based on previous experience results. Smiker?

As for cost, those entering the Marathon World Champs have typically paid all their own costs, this year was the first that team riding kit was going to given to those selected (in the past they've even had to pay for this)

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Mike Blewitt is in Europe now racing Stage races and marathons, with the selection criteria published so late he may have already committed to a different schedule. He didn't make the automatic selection criteria and I'm not sure if he applied based on previous experience results. Smiker?

As for cost, those entering the Marathon World Champs have typically paid all their own costs, this year was the first that team riding kit was going to given to those selected (in the past they've even had to pay for this)
The selection criteria was published a little bit late, but as has been shown over the past three years, MTBA doesn't stick to its own timeframes. I did apply, basing my application on the fourth critera, marathon performances since August 9th 2010. I had a top 25 UCI C1 finish, and a top 20 UCI C2, both from Switzerland. But realistically, I'm not nearly fit enough at the moment. When I applied I thought that was turning around.

MTBA publish a date that they will announce a team. In the past three years this has never been kept. SOa lthough I was lucky enough to represent my country in 2009 and 2010, I was pretty cooked by then anyway, as I hadn't heard from MTBA and so filled my schedule. 2010 was barely two weeks notice, at which point it was the last race of about 12 weekends straight, including TransAlp, Dolomiti Superbike, and the 145km Montafon (C2) in Austria. MTBA hadn't supplied XCM Nationals results either, robbing Adrian Jackson of a valuable higher grid position.

With CA finishing their MTB High Performance program, it'sup to MTBA now. And there is minimal finding. As stated, Marathon Worlds is self funded for Australians, but you need to be nominated by your national federation. The general MTBA aim is to win gold medals. So that's an XCO focus. This is a shame, as I reckon Australia has some top Marathon talent. Not me personally, I come to Europe to race Marathons and Stage Races as I think it's the best sport in the world - I race with enthusiasm, not talent.

It is still a rainbow jersey on the line, and I think MTBA need to put better structure into the selection. Have a series of selection events. Not just national XCM and XCO and MTBA Marathons. How many MTBA Marathons are there anyway? Do most MTBA members race top level XCO or Marathons and enduro's? There's a lot to go into, but this probably isn't the right place.

But it's a shame to have had no representation in Italy, when clearly it is a title that the Germans, Italians, Swiss and Austrians clearly value.

Smiker

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Maybe Cadel could of slipped it into his TDF lead up training. :D

I'm sure if the timing was right Paul Van Der Ploeg would of given it a nudge

rangie

Likes Dirt
Maybe Cadel could of slipped it into his TDF lead up training. :D

I'm sure if the timing was right Paul Van Der Ploeg would of given it a nudge
4hrs at that intensity for Cadel would have been cool :)

Perhaps several of the Drapac boys over in Europe may have also be drafted in given the nature of the race.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
4hrs at that intensity for Cadel would have been cool :)

Perhaps several of the Drapac boys over in Europe may have also be drafted in given the nature of the race.
While Marathons aren't as tech as current WC XCO, some certainly have their moments. The 09 XCM worlds course in Graz was pretty brutal. Sure, a lot is less technical, but riding it flat out makes it so. So some roadies would excel (Mirko Celestino, as an example, but he's been on the mtb for a while now...) but it still is a mtb race with different requirements, and surges in output.

But yeah, Cadel back on the mtb would be a dream outcome!

Smiker

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
As I understand it.. we just don't have the cash to chase all the events. I know they'd like to.

By sending riders to achieve good World Cup results in Euroland, will mean we'll get multiple XCO starters qualified in the coming Olympics, the more starters we have qualified for the Olympics, even more funding we get. If we then achiveve good placings in the Olympics we will get even betterer funding. This funding is supplied by the gov to CA to be distributed through the MTB ranks / systems and then other format can be better supported.

Or they could increase the MTB license fee - to $670,897.00 each or $5,583 per race entry.. :(

I can't see another way.. + the XCO guys and Girls did good this year.. yeah.?

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Do people get notified by email or phone call or anything if they make the criteria to represent Aus? I think if MTBA were serious about getting people to OS events they would let people know via one of those measures. Then again, maybe they think mountain bikers just hang on rotor burn or mtba.asn.au?

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I should also add: I dont think it is a job for MTBA. I think the event promoter, when they send out their event wrap could also mention "the top x places in the mens race and top x women qualified for the worlds" they could then send a link to the event information and a person who qualified can make an informed decision. I think most people wouldn't think outside of Australia until they realise they qualify! Just looking at the selection criteria:

Finish within 106% of the overall winner’s time for their gender at the 2011 MTBA Australian XCM National Championships.

That would mean 4:41 if my maths is working for the men meaning top 5 qualify and 5.39 for the girls so the top 2 get in. I just thought these guys could get the info on where the event is, just a link the to event website?

I think Russ has done an awesome job with 24hr racing. People knew straight away if they qualified at different events and the procedure in entering the worlds etc. I guess we a looking at UCI vs ?? a private promoters event.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Ownership

Hey Red Racer - I know you are qualified to talk about this, but two posts, with diiffering opinions (MTBA or Race organiser...)

I'm not having a go, but I've gotta say (also with some experience of this) that the only person whose responsability it is to know about qualification and criteria etc is the athlete.
Its your 'career', and your season to plan.

Its too easy to expect people to hand things to you.
Saying 'If the MTBA were serious about getting people OS....' really takes all responsability away from the athlete. The position surely should be "if you wanted to go to the World Champs, you would have known about everything, and therefore would know if you (as winner) have qualified".

A private race promoter has nothing to do with team selection. Its hardly their responsability to get involved in selection.
The MTBA has all sorts of things to do (and as I understand it are under resourced as it is) - its tough to expect that from them (especially since there are no Olympic medals for XCM).

Its easy to assume its someone elses fault that there were no Aus athletes at the Worlds, the reality is really that noone wanted to go enough. Its a UCI World Champs - you just decide on whim to race. You plan and prepare and make it your goal.

Anyway - at least we all know for next year. Pack a 29er and some semi-slicks. :rolleyes:

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I was only throwing ideas around, thats all. Im just suprised at how many people have a crack at the world 24hrs but not the marathon worlds. I might try and get there next year depends if I can still train. Jen is due in 3 days time, I thought I should be around for at least the first one :)

Smiker

Likes Dirt
I have no gripes with when they have advertised selection qualifications etc, but its their own timelines that need to be stuck to. As Antsonline says, make it a goal and train up for it. Besides being a sub-optimal athlete, the problems I ound with this in 2009 and 2010 were a lack of notice each time. It's nice to know a goal is certain. And when you're between 2 and 4 weeks out and have heard nothing from MTBA, but you are or will be in Europe then - you start locking races in. Well I do anyway.

As stated earlier, a more progressive selection, and yes, advertised a little earlier, but with COMMUNICATION would be great for those who would like to try to represent their country on the world stage.

Smiker

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I have no gripes with when they have advertised selection qualifications etc, but its their own timelines that need to be stuck to. As Antsonline says, make it a goal and train up for it. Besides being a sub-optimal athlete, the problems I ound with this in 2009 and 2010 were a lack of notice each time. It's nice to know a goal is certain. And when you're between 2 and 4 weeks out and have heard nothing from MTBA, but you are or will be in Europe then - you start locking races in. Well I do anyway.

As stated earlier, a more progressive selection, and yes, advertised a little earlier, but with COMMUNICATION would be great for those who would like to try to represent their country on the world stage.

Smiker
Well - if its any consolation, the Irish MTB governing body are very poor. They dont even respond to emails, or phonecalls.

Enjoy Europe.

Last edited:

Firemanmikey

Likes Dirt
Maybe the powers that be decided that no Aussie Champ would be upto the standard and decided not to send them(sparing them the humiliation of defeat)? Seems to be the case with a certain xco division for Worlds!!
My 2bobs worth.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it odd that a national governing body of any sport would not

A Notify its elite riders that they have qualified for a world championship.

B Not want to see its elite riders compte on the international stage.

Can you imagine Swimming Australia, Athletics Australia, Cyling Australia leaving it up to the individual athletes to find out whether they have qualified for a World Champs?.

From my point of view MTBA have got it wrong. They see themeselves as event promoters rather than a governing body. Their stated focus in the past has been promote the national series and as a result have done little else. MTBA need to realise that it is their job to give the sport structure and help its development. This won't happen unless they build a structure that asists riders to develop from fast juniors into elite seniors.

Last edited: