Worst Headlights...

trailstar

Likes Dirt
gumbyhead said:
If you want more brightness, you cant just put more powerful bulbs straight in, you really need to use relays

Best advice so far and what i was going to say when i first read the original post. Relays will make a big difference and by the sound of it its all you really need to solve your dilemma. A relay is basically a little amplifier so it'll produce more power for your lights. Just fit them yourself (if youre competant with wiring things up) or go to an auto electrician and get it done.

toodles

Wheel size expert
RCOH said:
Not only do my car's (84 Honda Civic) lights shine a dull yellow/orange but they turn themselves on & off everytime I use the indicator. Highly annoying.
My old Corona used to do that but I can't remember how I fixed it. Made it look like a disco when I put the hazards on as the headlights and indicators would flash.

trailstar said:
A relay is basically a little amplifier so it'll produce more power for your lights.
Erm... no it's not. A relay lets you use one current to switch another. You could put a relay on your current lighting circuit and use it to switch a higher voltage supply to your headlights but it's not an amplifier at all.

wombat

Lives in a hole
toodles said:
Erm... no it's not. A relay lets you use one current to switch another. You could put a relay on your current lighting circuit and use it to switch a higher voltage supply to your headlights but it's not an amplifier at all.
Bingo. The reason for running relays in these light circuits is so that you only have a small current running through the switch in the cabin. It means you dont need to have the bulky wiring or switchgear to cope with the extra current the lights need; it'd be a safer set up too.

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
The lights on the rangie would seem brighter because:

a) The car is a 4WD, and as such is higher than most other cars, and the headlights pretty much would point straight at other drivers eyeline.

b) If they are the Xenon ones, then they produce a blue/white light which will always seem brighter than the dull white or yellow light other cars makes.

On a side note, we have a new holden calais, and we got the xenon globes installed in the front low and high beams, and the fog lights- so stick your shitty expensive rangie lights up your ass ;)
Statement b is not stictly true, the "colour" of the light emitted is down to the "temperature" of the kit you buy. A 4300k hid light will be yellow, 6000k will be bright white and above 6000k they start to appear blue. The lower the "temp" of the bulb the brighter the emission, The higher colour "temps" the less usable light is emmitted as it starts to wander towards "blacklight". The 6000k are the most popular as they give off a clean White light. Modders often go for the higher "temp" ranges to get the blue light but they are in fact dimmer than the white and yellow.

mongoosedh

Banned
Statement b is not stictly true, the "colour" of the light emitted is down to the "temperature" of the kit you buy. A 4300k hid light will be yellow, 6000k will be bright white and above 6000k they start to appear blue. The lower the "temp" of the bulb the brighter the emission, The higher colour "temps" the less usable light is emmitted as it starts to wander towards "blacklight". The 6000k are the most popular as they give off a clean White light. Modders often go for the higher "temp" ranges to get the blue light but they are in fact dimmer than the white and yellow.
13-04-2005, 05:24 PM??

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
Well I think Holden Commodores are right up there on the top of the list.
Farkin terrible!!!!!!!
I often find myself driving along wondering if I really have the lights on or I acidentally only put them on park lights.
They are dull as all shit.
I tried new globes to no avail.
Haven't tried driving lights - but that may be an option?

Anybody else got shit lights on their cars?
Lights on my 2000 lancer are the same, CRAP. Anybody know what type of headlamps are in there (H2, H4 etc) as I need to upgrade them and havn't got a clue. Cheers

daever

lunatic rant extraordinaire
I used to hate those really bright distracting xenon lights in all those expensive cars. But now I drive my oldies X5 around sometimes and it has them. They're awesome! I love blistering off peoples paint and burning holes in thier retina's with these babies.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My low beams are like parkers. But when I crank my high beams I think I'm gunna start bushfires.

wa_shova

Likes Bikes
Firstly, congrats on the epic gravedig

Secondly i fit a fair few HID kits of all types (and quality) in my job. 4300k is definately not yellow, a 4300k incandescent globe, such as a Phillips Crystal Vision, will be quite white/blue to the eye, and a 5000k, such as a Diamond vision, incandescent will be very blue. Disclaimer: both these globes are not ADR Approved.

In the case of HID, we have a lot of customers who get 6000k globes installed, but return wanting 5000k as they find 6000k too blue/purple. As far as 8000k globes go, in my opinion they are too purple. 5000k is still a very striking white/blue light.

I agree with what you were saying, but in short, 4300kelvin is certainly not any shade of yellow.

Steve Angel

Likes Bikes
Firstly, congrats on the epic gravedig

Secondly i fit a fair few HID kits of all types (and quality) in my job. 4300k is definately not yellow, a 4300k incandescent globe, such as a Phillips Crystal Vision, will be quite white/blue to the eye, and a 5000k, such as a Diamond vision, incandescent will be very blue. Disclaimer: both these globes are not ADR Approved.

In the case of HID, we have a lot of customers who get 6000k globes installed, but return wanting 5000k as they find 6000k too blue/purple. As far as 8000k globes go, in my opinion they are too purple. 5000k is still a very striking white/blue light.

I agree with what you were saying, but in short, 4300kelvin is certainly not any shade of yellow.
Then I've been lied to by a HID manufacture and fitting company.
While I've got your attention, if I've still got your attention. Perhaps you can answer the question that I posed, seeing as you are obviously in the industry - What fitting are the headlights in a 2000 Lancer? Cheers bud, and thanks for putting things straight on the colour temp thingo.:D

wa_shova

Likes Bikes
Then I've been lied to by a HID manufacture and fitting company.
While I've got your attention, if I've still got your attention. Perhaps you can answer the question that I posed, seeing as you are obviously in the industry - What fitting are the headlights in a 2000 Lancer? Cheers bud, and thanks for putting things straight on the colour temp thingo.:D
Lancer would be H4 globe ;)