worst thing you have had fail while riding

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I'm rather surprised so many people snap handlebars, and yet unlike forks / frames etc I never seem to read about it on the forums - like brand XYZ handlebar is crap because they snapped:confused:
Bars naturally take a fair bit of crap. Especially if they are 'pre-stressed' in a crash.

We're talking about equipment failing riders here Leitch, not Riders failing their equipment
On a serious note with Andrew's case, I would have expected his forks to be written off, before his frame to be perfectly honest.

mtb1611

Seymour
Ticker. Lungs. Legs. The ability to hold down the previous night's lager. Not necessarily in that order.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'm rather surprised so many people snap handlebars, and yet unlike forks / frames etc I never seem to read about it on the forums - like brand XYZ handlebar is crap because they snapped:confused:
I've snapped a generic mongoose handlebar, a friend's bar (brand unknown, I think it was from Funn), an Easton cheapie, and filmed a friend snapping a DMR wingbar (welded bars are a shit idea). I have also bent a couple of Azonic double-wall handlbars but they did not snap, thank god. I would not suggest they are terrible bars, because in each case they were 2+ years old and thrashed from a 95-100kg rider who was into jumps and drops and trials amongst other things. I do replace my bars once a year now though just in case ;)

sam_hill

Banned
The worst thing to me was when my chain came off while doing some DH up in the bush. Riding quickly i came around a berm and a stick got caught in the derailleur and it dislodged the chain somehow. :confused: But anyway i tried to pedal and got some chainring bite! :eek:

bryce_music

Likes Bikes
frame :(

i was practising hopping on the back wheel in my front yard, and the frame (rear triangular thingy) snapped, clean. didnt hurt my self because i was only hopping, but it took for ever to get fixed. had to send it back to the factory.:D

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Avid codes!
front

it sucked they just locked up and BAM there goes my beautiful jawline

rear did a similar thing but didn't lock, actly they didn't do a thing just sent me packin in a rock garden
got both fixed from t7 so im happy:D

EDIT: Also last year (2007) during the interschools my front wheel continued to fall out in every run i had at Thredbo, it fell out 2-3 times in my race run:mad:
Stupid quick release failing on me

Last edited:

Jimmy_083

Squid
Down at the local BMX track, with my old skool Haro.

Basically, my handlebars were sitting loose in the stem (correct me if thats not where they go) and as I landed, my bars just slipped forward, not being able to hold my weight...

Face plant/Chest plant/Knee plant/Palm plant

Last edited:

The Zigster

Likes Dirt
My bosses one-of-a-kind custom painted tracky on the way to work. Was riding down Swanston street, off the seat and powering through the lights then BAM!
Snapped it clean in two. Well technically the lugs gave way, at the top tube/seat tube and seat tube/down tube interfaces.

I went down hard and grazed a lot of myself, I also couldn't feel my right hand for five minutes. Crashed right in front of a cop car, who was kind enough to stop before hitting me.

The boss wasn't stoked about the bike but seemed more worried about me than the bike when I eventually got to work.

well this one is a bit of n old one, i was in year 1 maybe 2 at the time, and it was my mates last day in OZ, and he lived at the bottom of a very steep hill. but there was a fence at the bottom so you had to brake hard.

well i was on my old dunlop rigid with C brakes, was pinning it down there then went to grab the brakes.

the cable snapped, and i went full speed into the fence, my saddle pointed straight down so the end was on the bar, and i slid along the top tube until i hit the head set, and had quite a painfull next week with blood and pain and more blood and more pain,

i alsop have a hectic scar on my weiner!
:p
hurt like a bitch at the time, but always good to laugh at now.

Alec ; )

madboy

Likes Dirt
iv had a few seat post bolts snap and my ass getting ripped into the back wheel.PAINFULL:mad:
ive also managed to go off the side of a 9 foot quarter pipe and land on my front wheel luckily i managed to jump over the bars and land on my feet. but i managed to make my front wheel as strait as a noodle:eek:
also snapped the usual chains and gouging my knees on the stem.NOT FUN AT ALL:mad:

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to own an old BMX and the chain used to slip allot and i managed to avoid hitting my knee's on the stem, but one afternoon racing my friend round a street loop and going round a wide corner pedaling as fast as i could, chain slipped knee's went straight into the stem and went sliding on the asphalt. Got some good grazes from that.:rolleyes: And something more recent doing a steep *roll in* sort of thing on my traildigger, halfway through front tube popped and the tire jammed. Went straight over the handle bars.:eek: Helmet saved my noggin.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chain slipping is so bad.... not having the choice to pedal hard is a real pain in the arse and sometimes the only cure is a whole new drivetrain!.

But i gotta agree, bars snapping and front wheels coming off over drops have got to be the worst.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Ye olde chain la slipe, knee into stem, nearly over the bar while crossing a ridicolously busy road. Apart from that quick release's coming lose, I always tend to notice or something cause I've never had the wheel actually fall of.

Goojono

Squid
FRame Snap

Jumping the big box at the Bowral skate park and having the front section of my frame totally snap. Dam connondale.:rolleyes:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bottom bracket failed on a DH track over a rock garden, went to give a hard crank and bam the non-drive side arm just blew off, needless to say I just go bucked off.