Worth swapping frame or buying complete? Santa cruz Super 8

liam90

Likes Bikes
G'day guys,
With a couple of trips planned over seas soonish I've been fretting over my super 8 seen here. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?215853-Santa-Cruz-Super-8
Basically the frame is cracked in the swing arms. I have 2 spare swing arms, one even professionally fixed (so I was told by the previous owner anyways), alas all of them are cracked.

For your information, this bike was my first introduction into riding DH and I haven't had the opportunity to ride any other bikes on tracks.

What I was wanting to have advice on is with say a budget of around $2,500 with those parts should I just find a more recent frame and save $$ ? Or with the prices of secondhand bikes at the moment would it be best to pick up something else entirely and have that for spares? At the end of the day I'd like to have something I know isn't cracked, is durable, 'FUN', and I can progress on to hopefully participate in races next year.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

floody

Wheel size expert
I'd say most of your parts would be good enough to warrant a frame swap. It is a shame the Super8s were so prone to cracking swingarms, I'm amazed yours has lasted this long.

liam90

Likes Bikes
Thanks, I'm no wheel expert by any means but apart from the scratches they don't seem to have any damage to the rims. Some of the spokes do need a tighten though.

I'm caught between the frame swap and complete because on one hand I'd like to save money (who doesn't) which means I can spend more time riding (hopefully in Queenstown) and less working. :)
But I can also see the advantages to having something recent, and complete.

Thanks for input, keep it coming :)

MB

Intense Australia
I reckon leave that super 8 exactly as is and hang it on the wall. I wanted one of those so much when I started out, it's a piece of MTB history!

You can get a great second hand (or even new) bike for $2.5K these days. Your parts are sweet, but you could get fresher stuff for the money you want to spend.