Would bike shops match online prices?

markgab

Likes Dirt
For me I find NSW prices horrendous =X
They can't beat or match prices of other Australian owned shops (pushy/mtbdirect).
I believe it's them wanting higher profit margins, or like what pharmaboy said the distributor mark prices higher =X
What do you think if shimano has a standardized retail price?
Something similar to Fox?

That be said, cost for labour for servicing has dropped. (2006 headset removal $60 vs 2014 headset removal $30)
As for parts... still stupid... (asked the LBS i regularly patronize price of saint cranks =X they checked the shimano system and quoted me $450 without chainrings)
Wtf crc has them for $200 =X How much is profit? No idea

DJR

Likes Dirt
I can see the point of paying the shop price if you want the shop to be there, but if the price is uncompetitive there is little point keeping afloat such a business, and customers will let their wallets choose the shops that survive, sad but true.

Remember lots of shops do discounts for club members, might only be 10% but still helps and you support your local club in the process.

There is still a place for the humble LBS.... most people still buy bikes from a LBS?

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
I can see the point of paying the shop price if you want the shop to be there, but if the price is uncompetitive there is little point keeping afloat such a business, and customers will let their wallets choose the shops that survive, sad but true.
This is not a dig at you by any means, I agree with you to a certain extent.

What do we do when another 25% of the bike shops close down? Then another 15% ?
All because they couldn't be competitive on a global scale. Soon enough there will be only "service shops" and concept stores locally in town. Gone will be the days of being able to see something in the flesh before or purchashing it.

There are some shops in Australia that do run to much margin for today's retail climate. They will probably end up closing their doors or moving completely out of performance parts. Then there are other shops with their fingers on the pulse, doing a damn good job but I don't think they can compete with global pricing on a long term basis.

Wages, duties, freight, taxes, are all hard on aussie distros and retail outlets.

Belrose Bicycles

Belrose Bicycles
cost to bike shops is the issue.

hi guys just a quick one, cost to local bike shops is crazy when comparing to O/S CRC and the like, we all know that everyone on here is a rider and riders know what they want and can either fit it to there own bike or has a mate that can do it, not all bike shops keep the doors open from this market, as its only a very small part of the bike shops turnover, but lets get back to prices,

here is a link to crc RRP that you can buy and have it shipped for $0 and it turns up with no gst or and duty paid,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...il-m980-10-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod83547

here is a pic of the local shops buy price + gst + freight, thats before a shop makes any money and puts a margin on it, cost to us is $601.00 :(
so you can see why we cant get close on price cause we cant buy it for what crc sells it for,

Attachments

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Can I ask why they just don't buy it from crc. Or get together as a group and increase buying power. We are closer to Asia. Transport costs should be lower. If crc can do it. Why not an Australian company.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Might be a big no-no but I had a shop offer and then supply and fit some Shimano parts bought off crc because even they said the local Shimano price was ridiculous. I could have ordered and fit them myself but thought I'd give them a go. Who's going to know if they get their parts ex crc and run any warranty claims through them? I guess if they have a fairly usual Shimano order then suddenly stop ordering someone might ask questions but otherwise?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Is it really unexpected though to see variation within Australia?
We see this sort of pricing with all products, if you live in a more expensive living area your groceries and other purchases tend to be higher to match the economy the store is in. Its a pretty normal thing to have pricing been expensive in say Sydney and less so in darwin.

I think the internet has obviously driven this great equalizer over the entire global and country, but the country still does not remain equalized. I understand parts should cost x no matter what but society runs on a scale and that's not always a fair scale, if your rich you pay more tax is the simple example even if you cost the same to the economy.

We need to take this into account. Unfortunately for stores, online has made it easy for us to avoid the need to buy local and we can buy from the cheapest places, places that due to their set up or area, the local cant compete on price with.

Its really up to the shops to adapt or and I would hate this, to put laws around any OS buying and stick flat rate rrp's on every item as to equalize the cost too. This would mean higher prices though as the high economic areas would be the price point they need to cover off.

As I said earlier its perfectly fine to ask to price match domestic pricing but its entirely reasonable for them to not be able to do it.

Last edited:

stoo

Likes Dirt
^^^
while I buy mostly online, I love to support locals (such as Pushie and Crankin) who give quality service and back up, even if I know could get it cheaper online.
Sadly, while I have mates running LBS's, so often the 'service' is the piece missing in the puzzle. We have just recently had a new shop open in Buninyong, the owners are fantastic, and support the fuck out of lots of local young kids and events. They are renewing my faith in the LBS.
Hell yes, they're ace peeps doing ace things in our tiny little town.
What have you bought from them since they opened a couple of years ago?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
hi guys just a quick one, cost to local bike shops is crazy when comparing to O/S CRC and the like, we all know that everyone on here is a rider and riders know what they want and can either fit it to there own bike or has a mate that can do it, not all bike shops keep the doors open from this market, as its only a very small part of the bike shops turnover, but lets get back to prices,

here is a link to crc RRP that you can buy and have it shipped for $0 and it turns up with no gst or and duty paid,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...il-m980-10-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod83547

here is a pic of the local shops buy price + gst + freight, thats before a shop makes any money and puts a margin on it, cost to us is $601.00 :(
so you can see why we cant get close on price cause we cant buy it for what crc sells it for,
Mmmm, I'd be parallel importing for sure. The law on this subject is a little unclear at times, but it's up to shimano to bring an action on trademark law - an action they are not at all guaranteed of winning. I wonder how many bike shops have been sent cease and desist letters.

The local prices on xt brakes sure implies there is some parallel going on, but really, the local shops should indeed stop buying from shimano Australia and others with similar policies - with sales declining at 50% you can bet the local operation would start screaming at their parent to get better transfer pricing

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
I was speaking to one of the blokes at my LBS and said of the the price of Deore brakes on CRC. He said that what CRC was asking was significantly less than their wholesale price. So yeah, I know it is only one product, but i do not think they will match online prices.
Why dont the LBS buy from CRC as well? Isnt that a valid question to ask. Yes of course they have their distributors but I wonder if they make any sense.

D_Nine

I've been led to believe that for the LBS to be able to offer that price it is required that they buy at least 10 pair ? That's if Shimano has stock ??

DJR

Likes Dirt

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The problem with parallel or grey importing for an lbs is that the lbs assumes the warranty exposure. Imagine if your lbs was grey importing SRAM after its recent road hydro brakes debacle? Had this very discussion with lbs just recently. They are still looking for ways but margins are too tight. Apparently, BMX is the 'practise' market at the moment...

stoo

Likes Dirt
^^^
while I buy mostly online, I love to support locals (such as Pushie and Crankin) who give quality service and back up, even if I know could get it cheaper online.
Sadly, while I have mates running LBS's, so often the 'service' is the piece missing in the puzzle. We have just recently had a new shop open in Buninyong, the owners are fantastic, and support the fuck out of lots of local young kids and events. They are renewing my faith in the LBS.
Cobs, you've been logged on all arvo but haven't replied, maybe you missed it so I'll ask again.
What have you bought from them since they opened?

moorey

call me Mia
Cobs, you've been logged on all arvo but haven't replied, maybe you missed it so I'll ask again.
What have you bought from them since they opened?
Didn't see your post....and Didn't say I'd bought anything, arse eyes (but have ordered gear for the kids in last couple of days), I said I support them. I recommend them to people, I praise their support of local kids and events. Sad thing is, with the lack of work there for months, I haven't bought anything new, local or online, for best part of 6 months.

moorey

call me Mia
Hell yes, they're ace peeps doing ace things in our tiny little town.
What have you bought from them since they opened a couple of years ago?
What have I bought new from any locals in a good while? You frosted up or just being an arse hat? I've never bought one of your fancy gay extendable lights, but I still know they are good jiggers and are happy to tell people so. Eat a pie, tubs. :third:

stoo

Likes Dirt
Pointing out that you say you support our local shop but haven't bought anything from them since they opened doesn't mean I'm drunk or being an arsehat. You're always whining about how shit local shops are, if we pay a bit more than the best online price in their shop sometimes maybe they'll stick around?

moorey

call me Mia
Pointing out that you say you support our local shop but haven't bought anything from them since they opened doesn't mean I'm drunk or being an arsehat. You're always whining about how shit local shops are, if we pay a bit more than the best online price in their shop sometimes maybe they'll stick around?
some locals are shit on service, and prices make the choice easier.

Last edited: