Would you buy a Malvern Star for....

Lorday

Eats Squid
I can't believe the amount of money wankers like me spend on boring bloody road bikes. I bought a new Look 595 for $5500, cheap enough, but still mental money for bike. That much would buy you a really special MTB for a start.
But if you are ecstatic buying a $1000 MTB or a $8000 Oppy, well that's all that matters, as 90% of the people here, including me, have bikes way better than they are. All the high end BRAND NAME stuff is a huge waste of money, but remember you are paying for the marketing that makes you feel good about your purchase.
I like that point of view. You have the money, you can spend it anyway you want. Brand snobbery is such as wank.

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^How many punters out there in the market for $8k bikes ARE NOT brand snobs?? When you spend that much on a bike that is 'better than you are' you are not looking for value for money.

Buriedpast

Likes Bikes
given that he is o passionately supporting Malvern star here

and here
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1790140&postcount=33
(With some ironic "I wouldn't ride malvern star comment")

his diamondback road bike here
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1800889&postcount=5

a diamondback Sr-2 here
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1916280&postcount=2

You'd almost suspect an undisclosed sales rep:p
So you're saying that me giving an honest opinion that pretty much EVERY $1000 road bike will be nearly the same, is me a sales rep :rolleyes: Get real, learn a little about manufacturing...

Take the time to read them, and instead realise I'm actually massivly critisising the diamondback shitter. It's terrible, but the rider maketh the bike. What I find as terrible, may be fine for others, and realistically I dont know any people who show up to a zupps in brisbane on a bike as bad as mine :eek:

But no, all you see is a post, and immediatly think it's in support of the topic at hand.

And nowhere in ANY post here did I say the new oppy will be an amazing top of the line bike. I said that if the engineering is good, it will be as good as any other bike with good engineering. I also said I would probably purchase one at that or a lower price point. Yep, as above the cervelo fits in that price range. However having test riden a few, I am not sold on them. Strangely enough, so does the new oppy, amongst a myriad of other bikes I will eventually get around to looking at.

Until then, yep I'm riding a pacific brands shitheap and wearing through cheap shimano shit at a great rate of knots, getting frustrated at no amount of adjustment in my front d/r is enough to stop the bb flexing the chain into it, having no brakes and generally loving every second of it.

Real salesmanlike there....

And no, Buriedpast is purely a chat handle for the past 15 years +-

Buriedpast

Likes Bikes
^^^How many punters out there in the market for $8k bikes ARE NOT brand snobs?? When you spend that much on a bike that is 'better than you are' you are not looking for value for money.
To take the bait one final time...

What kind of wanker shoehorns every 8k bike customer into the same umbrella of 'wanker'.

And what kind of idiot with the 8 grand of disposable income to put on a bike does so without knowing every bike on the market at that price...

To go back to car anologies, not every beemer customer is a brandsnob, not very many are actually I reakon, only the bargain basement 3 series trophy wives. The rest go the midrange 135/335 etc as they're amazing cars. Rinse repeat for a million other purchases in life.

But just because they bought something YOU can not see the value in, or justify, that makes them a wanker? What ever happend to just letting fools be parted with their money, and you can be all the wiser.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Your points are so conveluded that even you don't understand what you are talking about:rolleyes: Enjoy your new Oppy when you get it, hopefully ITS HOT

Lorday

Eats Squid
Question: Is brand 'snobbery' different from brand 'loyalty'?

'Ross

Eats Squid
Question: Is brand 'snobbery' different from brand 'loyalty'?
Yes, 'brand snob' is buried past's term, not mine...I was trying to make things clearer for him to understand, obviously the message is just not getting through.

I doubt there will be any Malvern Star brand loyals just having a look at what they have offered for the last 10 years (trash) And just judging by their weak marketing and advertising efforts it doesn't seem like they are trying to showcase their history or past pedigree.

I think you will find on this forum there are a lot of 'Giant' brand loyals, they have a good reputation, have a large range of bikes for various purposes and usually have a very good spec list for the price....but would you call a guy who has a Reign, an XTC, and a Giant Roadie a snob? Unless you are buriedpast its unlikely.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Yes, 'brand snob' is buried past's term, not mine...I was trying to make things clearer for him to understand, obviously the message is just not getting through.

I think you will find on this forum there are a lot of 'Giant' brand loyals, they have a good reputation, have a large range of bikes for various purposes and usually have a very good spec list for the price....but would you call a guy who has a Reign, an XTC, and a Giant Roadie a snob? Unless you are buriedpast its unlikely.
I was actually referring to you stating:
"^^How many punters out there in the market for $8k bikes ARE NOT brand snobs??"
I know if I'm happy with a particular brand, When I'm upgrading, I will go out and buy that brand again, even if it cost a bit more than what a similar brand has on offer. I don't see that as snobbery, more so 'loyalty'.

I see brand 'snobbery' as;
"I'm going to buy a cervelo because it is is Italian, and Italian bikes are better, cervelo is so much better than giant bikes blah blha"

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
I was actually referring to you stating:
"^^How many punters out there in the market for $8k bikes ARE NOT brand snobs??"
Ok, how many average punters looking to spend $8k on a roadbike would even have a serious look at the Malvern Star? Now according to buriedpast that makes them 'brand snobs'.

Have a look through this thread, nobody is taking the Malvern Star seriously except for one, point proven.

setonz

Likes Dirt
I see brand 'snobbery' as;
"I'm going to buy a cervelo because it is is Italian, and Italian bikes are better, cervelo is so much better than giant bikes blah blha"
I love meeting people like that........... and then telling them that Cervelo are Canadian!

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
I love meeting people like that........... and then telling them that Cervelo are Canadian!
Fucked if I know, or care much, roadies elude me, and It was the first italian sounding brand I could think of. Anywho... *runs in fear of bottles being thrown*

Buriedpast

Likes Bikes
No that's just called being a loyalist.
I had an employer once who would buy nothing buy holdens, regardless how much as a collective we complained they were pieces of shit totally unsuitable to the task. But he just kept buying another every year.

A brand snob, as you say I put it, would not want to drive on the same roads as a holden.

I think you're getting your little wires a little crossed up trying to make a big point out of a little issue. Instead of just backing the fuck off, and realising that people will buy what they want, their choices are their own, and if you are critical of someone for buying something because you 'THINK' your own is superior (regardless of your lack of ability to ride it), you can look forward to being blown away buy a punters bike and feeling like a dickhead at the same time.

I never said anything about anyones choices being right or wrong, I did say however discrediting a bike based on something you have no knowledge or understanding about, is a fair whack silly. If its the myriad of other reasons to not like MS, thats cool.

Here's another analogy, it's 1988, and wind has goten loose about yet another subaru turbo AWD. They discredit it as it's a 'subaru', jap crap, they made the rx turbo and brumby ffs. What do they know about making a quick car. Come release, and for the next few years, the liberty RS was the fastest car to 100 for under $200k. (and it was closer to 40), not to mention being one of, if not the, the most capable point to point 5 seater in the world.

Noone here is saying it's brilliant or a turd, however a lot of you are saying it's a non contender because of it's shonky parent company and hashy history? Better look at the rest of the world and who owns what before passing judgement too critically.

azicat

Likes Bikes
I think it would be cool if Malvern Star released a steel framed audax-style tourer in the $1500-$2500 range to compete with Fuji Touring and Surly LHT. Perhaps also basic chromoly single speed & hub geared city bikes in old-style decals & paint schemes. This would fit with my idea of Malvern Star as a retro brand.

'Ross

Eats Squid
No that's just called being a loyalist.
You really are stupid! I give up arguing from this point on...if you can't read someones post and comprehend it, do not reply and make a fool of yourself! You have misinterpreted what everyone else in this thread has had to say, and made replies based on unrelated matters that aren't even relevant to what's being discussed, please open your eyes or do not bother replying in the future.