Wrist injury - Can anyone recommend a wrist brace/support, or a good taping method?

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey team

Just moved house, fun times.... Annoyingly i've injured my left wrist in the process. To be more specific, it's pain on the ulnar side of the wrist and is only present during ulnar deviation. I can ride my bike, but with pain at times, but I can do it.

Have been to the physio, he believes, an I agree with, that it will just settled with time, but time i do not have... I land in Whistler on the 7th September....

So, i'm looking for some guidance recommendations on wrist braces and or strapping, with the hope of reducing some pain in the wrist. I'm treating the injury, not just leaving it to do it's on thing, i'm not naive to being injured, let me assure you, just not in the wrist....

I've got 12 days.... HELP!!!

Cheers, Grant.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh yeah, 'I injured it moving house'

Don't try and pretend we don't all see the timing of your wrist injury and the fact that the women's Olympic volleyball has just been on.

But, regardless of your lies, best of luck ;)

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh yeah, 'I injured it moving house'

Don't try and pretend we don't all see the timing of your wrist injury and the fact that the women's Olympic volleyball has just been on.

But, regardless of your lies, best of luck ;)
Fine, you got me. It's my non-dominant hand too, I had to give the right arm a rest, and what happens.....

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've been using a 661 Wrist Wrap (not the Pro variant - I've only read negative reviews) since breaking my scaphoid late 2014.
First time back on the bike, and first time using the wrap was straight into two days at Buller... riding DH for the first time.

Wrist wasn't nearly strong or supportive enough to wing it alone even riding around on a fire road or paved surfaces, but the wrist wrap held it together well riding the DH trails!
A little pain in the location of the break from all the jolting, but it kept my wrist pretty straight, nicely supported, and allowed me to enjoy the whole weekend.

My legs actually crapped out before my wrist did after 4 months of no bikes.

I still use it now, just to be safe. Can hurt a little where it crosses between your thumb and index finger from pushing against your grip after a long day of riding, but you get used to it/put up with it. Either that or I just don't death grip like I used to. :)

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using a 661 Wrist Wrap (not the Pro variant - I've only read negative reviews) since breaking my scaphoid late 2014.
First time back on the bike, and first time using the wrap was straight into two days at Buller... riding DH for the first time.

Wrist wasn't nearly strong or supportive enough to wing it alone even riding around on a fire road or paved surfaces, but the wrist wrap held it together well riding the DH trails!
A little pain in the location of the break from all the jolting, but it kept my wrist pretty straight, nicely supported, and allowed me to enjoy the whole weekend.

My legs actually crapped out before my wrist did after 4 months of no bikes.

I still use it now, just to be safe. Can hurt a little where it crosses between your thumb and index finger from pushing against your grip after a long day of riding, but you get used to it/put up with it. Either that or I just don't death grip like I used to. :)
I like the sound of this. I'll check it out.

Thanks fella.

TREK24

Likes Dirt
If you compress the ulna and radius together with your other hand, just above the wrist, then actively ulnar deviate is the pain still there?
Also try gliding the ulna and radius back/forward relative to each other with the thumb of your other hand and hold in that position, then ulnar deviate.
Any of these slight "repositionings" of the joint complex can assist it to move correctly after injury and pain-inhibition response and can be maintained for extended periods by simple taping techniques.

Sorry if the explanation is a little vague. Let me know and I'll do up some pictures for you and show the taping technique.

Steve.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used the 661 wrap as well after a wrist injury and then a broken distal radius. I also have the TLD ones, but I find the 661 heaps more supportive and better. When the injury was at its worst I also taped underneath the wrap and I only had issues on bad landings. I just experimented with taping until I found something that worked okay.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also have a set of the TLD ones and some pretty shabby 661 wraps that I don't use. If you are out Mornington way feel free to drop in and give them a go.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can send you some videos of me doing my wrist strength workout if you like? It's given me a really really strong left wrist.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are a robot, we can delete the "memory". Humans...not so much.
Not a robot. Would imagine the wrist issue would be easier if I was.

Happy for you to send through your "wrist exercise" videos to Moorey, he can verify the quality before passing on.

manthem

Squid
Is generally one of things that not much can help with except giving it time unfortunately. Don't think non-rigid braces will help much and rigid one are a PITA for riding.
Best bet probably get some rigid sports tape 25 or 38mm (rock tape a waste of time). Put wrist in some radial deviation then tape across wrist joint a couple of times, not too tight otherwise hand will drop off