Write a reveiw, win a bashring.

02 Kona Stinky

02 Kona Stinky
Your old bike been run down by to much wear and tear? Stop that now and buy a bike that can last a lifetime, weather your into a bit of DH for the thrill of things, Freeriding to feel *^high^*, or just a little of XC(not recomended haha), this bike will provide u with these needs no matter what! With a 3 year warranty from Kona themselves(im not recomending you'll need it!) your guaranteed to be riding, not only a bike, but an 02 stinky of course.

I have had my 02 stinky for about 3 months or more after my red specialized fsr comp frame carked it, and this has served me really well, i had bought this as it has a verygood repuation and will take a beating and just keep on going and going!

The stinky not only looks beefy and mad but is!, Don't beleive me, here, this is what i think bout it so far and hopefully foreva....

STRENGTHS
Apart from a tough frame witch is dog easy to upgrade, the stinky provides the thickness and stability of 'another' dh machine without the weight! The stinky provides smooth and durable handling while either climbing a hill, or descenting a mountain, not a sqeuak should b heard. With the great strong frame the 4-bar linkage system is basicaly an added bonus, and as heavy as it might look with all of those extras, for all those who were wondering, YES, this bike can be pedaled uphill! No suprise really. With satisfactory travel on the front and rear of the bike the rear shock is virtually bottomless, it keeps serving and serving you(like it has a mind of its own!!). For the retail price of $3,000.00 Brand New!, this machine would be the perfect beginner/intermediate Dirt jumping bike to learn or advance on. While i dont have the factory standards on my stinky, i can tell by looking at it that the components are extrodinary, and have recently found out that this bike is WAAAAY underpriced for what you get. With a Bike like this, it is easy to throw around and manouver around corners that are hardly imaginable. Knowing alot of other people that have stinkys, i know for a FACT that they treat theyre bikes like you would to your maths teacher(NO RESPECT), and not 1, NOT 1 weld on this bike has even started to show signs of damage. For 6" of plush travel on the rear that is adjustable to either hard or soft, this is what changes it from DH to FR to XC(again, not recomended for XC). With the 5" of travel on the front, all of the geometry couldn't be better, with frame angles perfect while the welding re-inforces that, not that you will need it but it jus looks good i supose. This '02 Stinky' has a Bombproof look to it and will stick down to most terains in m ost conditions, given your not jumping as you wont be on the ground anyway. To ride this bike i think would turn anybody into a gaps or drop freak, making you want to look for bigger and bigger everytime you go out without having to worry about any problems being caused while u let your style of riding loose. Another fact is that this bike won the 2002 choice awards for performance, value and durability by mtbreview.

WEAKNESSES
The real and main concern of this bike are the hayes mech disc brake setup, not a hassel if you know what you are doing but you really need to know what you are doing for them to give you 10/10 back. The litle squeel that comes off them is awsome but can get annoying to some people, but then again, you really have to know what your doing when your setting them up for them to perform properly. The tires could be improved from Tioga 2.1XC to at least 2.5Factory dh, comon tioga, be genorous, we are talking about a stinky here! I would say with the tyres they should have more rubber in them, as for the amount of riding i do, quite a bit comparing to where i live, the tires wear down all too quickly, so i replaced them with a kenda dh and wiogs factpry dh 2.5, only got 20%wear in the time the others had worn to the botom thread!! As for the seat pole, DONT tighten the bolt as it grinds easily and the seat pole isn't top stuff either, with the thread up the top grinding to a flat, sure the pole stays still but the top teeth are not strong at all! The cranks on the stinky are good, but the bottom bracket sloowly wears away, so one day, u will leterally stop pedalling, i think what it is, is that all the interior things jam up and just go apeshit and refuse to work, DAM. Oh and judges, yes this happened to me on race day at eildon, it was all fine until the start of the race, i went to pedal, and again, and again, then it stopped, 3 pedals into the race and my cranks froze, costing me about 3 or 4 places. Another weak point is, because of the squeezed up linkages, not many chainguides(not bash guards *hint*) can fit it, like hussefelt I chainguide, warning poeple, only buy unless its not going on a stinky!, i have warned you!, it did happen to me so be careful that it is going to fit. Watch out for te grips as the blister your hands, so wear gloves unless you change grips, they arent bad for the first few rides but after many they start to ache and you will see why. Also the paint does and can chip easily, but hey, whos gonna no when your flying down a farkin firetrail or dh course at 50 k eh? the last wekness of this bike would have to be he rear deaurailor hanger as it does bend(bend it bac lol) but this never happened too seriously to me yet, jus a lil kink, and the rear deaurailor is or has to be the worst part of this bike, although it does do its job, it doesn't do its job at high speeds and the wheels on the rear deaurilor squeek and need replacing, other than this its all good.

RATING
For a rating out of 10 and a reason to go with it i would rate it 9 out of 10[9/10] for handling, no-squeaks apart from discs, price, performance and geometry. The wheels do buckle but only a slight warp and it does take a bit to get em going off track. So final rating is 9/10.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Now for the final verdict: This bike will handle any downhill; short or extreme. I've overcome some pretty gnarly and rutte filled descents with my old specialized so I know how to ride smoothly, but to ride this couldn't be better, but fels hella better. I'm comparing how the stinky would handle and I can say that it would be mistake-proof for downhilling. A section of eildon dh racecourse that usually forced me to slow down on my specialized and make a trials-like approach which tended to slow down to much and hit a rock buckling my wheel(s), but with tha stinky i can corner and keep most of my speed up apart from the rediculosly tight corners. The suspension is that plush although it might bottom out if I was 30 kilos pounds heavier. There are upgrades to prevent that though and do come at a cost, use the stock stinky untill you need to ugrade either because u like bigger or they snap and there is no way in hell of repair, thats how much i wanna stay with the stinky.

The components are good except for the disc brakes being that touchy. They are underpowered for a bike of this weight and a bit grabby which can be goob/bad. My cheap V-brakes stop me a little better(can you tell that I'm not a fan of light bikes?) on my specialized twice faster than these discs. I will upgrade to hydros when I wear this one out. The fork is setup just right for me. derailers could work better and same deal with the shifters.

Geometry is spot on for me. Ride one first to see if it fits you, and if it does fit you, and your bike gets shitted on by this, by all means u wont be let down if you choose to upgrade!![/b]

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Prototype KORE DH wheel.

I bought a Prototype KORE DH wheel from a mate who brought it back from the Tapei Trade show last yr, I needed a 20mm front wheel and that was all he had in stock. I paid $260 for it, though i would have paid much more after finding out how good it is.
Under installation, i found that the bearing were a bit on the tight side, but that was because it had never been used. The bearing loosened up within 50m of getting out of the gate. They were smooth as silk, no drag whatsoever.
The rim is very well constructed, it is welded at the seam, so there is no worries about it coming apart (like my last wheel). The finish is excellent, Gloss black with red and white graphics. The hub is oversized and seems to be as strong as any other high end hubs currently on the market.

Final thoughts on this wheel are excellent. I have had it on the bike for about a month now and have been riding heavy street and DH, with a few big jumps and drops thrown in for good measure, and the wheel is still perfectly true!
It looks as straight as it did when i picked it up.
As the bearings have loosened and broken in, They were as smoother than any other hub i have ever used. If this wheelset ever comes into production, i would recomend it to anyone even thinking about buying it or in search of a new wheelset.

Evan

Dirtsystems

Likes Bikes
I'd be remiss if I didn't put this in...

The Ataris Melbourne Over 18s Sept 23rd

Firstly, a caveat. I was not a fan of So Long Astoria until last night (still not, really, cash is a bad bad influence). I thought the new CD was over-produced and way too clean.
Last night removed the slick production and produced a loud, raw sound to SLA songs. Also, I'm mean, but when I hear people behind me only rocking out to one song, and it's not even an Ataris song, i.e. Boys of Summer, then that's a tad wack, but who am I to judge. This is the same as what has happened to Millencolin. Millencolin come to Aussie HEAPS, and I've seen the crowd change from once ROCKING bad@ss out to Vixen, Story of my Life, Olympic, Mr Clean etc etc and now, are most happy when they hear Penguins and Polarbears (and don't even get me started on people at Tool concerts who ask what song is this to Opiate or Prison S.ex or Flood or 4 degrees you fools), but if that's what tickles your fancy...

Kris was not happy about having to play that Boys of Summer ("here's the best song we never wrote"). It's a bit shyte when they've been around for so long and now they're getting commercial recognition (Aussie people, did they play Boys of Summer on Rove last night?? My girlfriend is not impressed) for a song they did not write...that must leave a bittersweet taste in their mouths I'd reckon.

This set list is to the best of my memory. I don't know ALL the song's names...just the words. I suck, but f$ck you.

I think there were maybe 3 or 4 SLA songs in there, and I don't know their names, as per my comment above.

I was a bit peeved about no Song 13 (heard it last time, my fave Ataris song, Kris got very angry when he sang it last time), no Giving up on Love, and no Losing Streak (do they EVER play this) and no Life makes no Sense or in spite of the world. Never mind.

New School Hero SUCKED. The singer was like Limp Bizkit or 28 days or something. The actual band was good (specially the drummer) but the singer SUCKED. Horsehell Common were different. Strange timing and melodies.

And my final comment: PINK STUDDED BELTS ON GUYS AND TRUCKER HATS ARE NOT COOL. My god, I was rocking Hannaford Seedmaster and Toyo Tyres Truckers in the 80s as a kiddiwinkle (how hardcorely awesome am I eh?). And what the f%ck is with sideways trucker hats. Fashion victims, kiddies. Be yourselves. Volcom and the like have a lot to answer for in my opinion.

And now....
--
In this Diary (I think)
IOU One Galaxy (a most excellent song and singalong)
1*15*96 (yay)
Take offs and landings
Your boyfriend sucks (yay)
Summer Wind was always our song (yay)
I won't spend another...(yay)
Make it last
another old song
The last song I will ever write (i think they played this, it could jsut be I have been listening to EIF and Blue skies way way waaay too much)
All you can ever learn?
Boys of Summer

(I am sure I have left a couple out)
So Long Astoria
San Diemas (they got a guy on stage BUT HE DIDN'T GET TO PLAY GUITAR!! ROBBED!! He got photos though)
Astro Zombies

All in all, awesome.
and now my mind turns to next months Gimme Gimmes show and Livid where I get to see Turbonegro and Less than Jake. And the White Stripes and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club all for 90 bucks.

Feel free to correct my obviously wrong setlist

-tm

---DO I win yet?
What about a review of my XG panelvan? Or my Apple iBook?

damn u......i really wanted to go to that gig...

"summer wind was always our song"
is that really called "looking back on today"???
i dunno....it mentions summer wind....
it's my favourite ataris song (just ahead of "ben lee"...even though i'm a ben lee fan...)

Tasha

Likes Bikes
Here's my entry :-

You know how one piece of clothing makes you feel invincible? Well for me it’s my Shinnies. When I put them on I go from a girl who rides bikes to a downhiller in a matter of seconds.

After much research and deliberation about which shinnies had good leg protection, good value for money and of course had the looks I decided on SixSixOne “Race Knee Shin”. This proved to be a good decision while wearing them on my first ride after purchase.

They have 3 straps. One on top of the knee, one on top of the calf and one just above the ankle. These provide good support so the shinnies don’t fall down while walking or riding. The straps also come fully undone so there are no hassles about shoes and putting them on and taking them off.

The protection they provide is second to none. With a large rounded kneepad, and full shinnie covering the whole front side. They also curve off at the edge covering half of the side leg. There is also an under mesh between the leg and the pads and small holes in the top layer allowing for air travel and non-stickiness. The topside is solid plastic allowing for rocks, sticks and pedal problems to become non-existent.

Although they look uni-leg, it is best to wear them with the straps done up at the outside of the leg they can get annoying and in the way, not to mention pull each other undone if the straps are on the inside.

The shinnies were a bit expensive but overall I think they were worth the extra dollars for the protection and the feeling I get (that I can do anything in them and not worrying about getting hurt) and would highly recommend them.

Dirtsystems

Likes Bikes
Commander,
I am fairly sure it is Summer Wind was always our song. Or summer way. it's a Sinatra Song

I REALLY wanted to hear Giving up on Love and Song 13. Alas. Never mind. IOU one Galaxy was a treat

Hopefully they will be back soon, they're all I can listen to right now. I need to get Anywhere but Here though
Their old stuff is grouse

Ty

Eats Squid
last day folks, get your reviews in if you want to win one of Guttys sick bash guards.

G

whos the winner whens it gonna be anounced,

*slips judges a little something extra* ;)

NOTE: Nothing extra can be slipped over the internet if i win ;)

wombat

Lives in a hole
ARGH! damn last minute efforts, well here goes....

I tried, I honestly tried. I twisted, I pushed, I pulled, I fiddled and I even farted about, but to no avail; these deore 9 speed shifters were just never going to feel any good; they were about as crisp as sponge cake and as accurate as William Tell on speed; I was fed up.

Then it happened, like a gift from the gods a black box with "XT" printed on it was handed to me. I opened it, and inside lay a set of beautiful, filthy, second hand, LX 8 speed shifters. Alright, so XT would have been nice, but who was I to argue? After a bit of a clean my new pods came up pretty well and it was time to revert.

Not suprisingly the 8 speed shifters had a slight personality clash with my 9 speed cassette, so that problem needed to be rectified, along with the Calista Flockhart chain and the old "Trushift" (ha!) rings. To fill their shoes were some good ol' steel Shimano rings and a Queen Latifa KMC chain. I also ditched the big ring for a nice lexan bashguard courtesy of Adam.

Thankfully setting it all up was a relative pain free affair and before too long it was time for a proper test. Push the lever, bike changes down a gear, pull the lever bike picks up a gear; simple idea really, but one that seemed to be completely beyond the capabilities of my old 9 speed companion. It's successor though had no such trouble.

Despite their circa '98 vintage, the LX pods were crisp and precise. Each press of a trigger caused an instant clunk from the engine room and a puff from my lungs as I realised I had to work harder again. There was no delay, no pause for the shifter to consult it's operantional manual, no chain riding in between sprockets, just a sharp change of ratios. The feel at the triggers was also a revelation. Whereas the deore units had had a distinctly plastic feel to them, and had never inspired much confidence in their durability, the LX shifters felt solid and stiff, a very welcome change.

Being the curious little twerp I am, I also felt the need to pull apart the unit and examine it's organs. Inside they're a nicely simple device, and a little Tri-Flo (bike's blood) had everything moving smoother than John Travolta on a greased dance floor.

4 months down the track and we're past the honeymoon stage, but unlike most relationships there has been a distinct lack of swearing and nashing of teeth. I can still select whichever gear I please with nary a complaint from the drivetrain and I haven't snapped a chain yet. Anybody who knows of my immense hatred for Shimano will truly appreciate the praise I am bestowing upon this product, and I urge anybody out there struggling with MEGA-PAIN to do everything humanly possibly to get themelves an 8 speed setup; beg, borrow, steal, hock your grandmother, but make the change back! You'll thank me later.

Done, and no making fun of my spelling or anything else, it's almost midnight, and I've had a shit of a day. Wombat out.

udi

swiss cheese
mr whippy said:
Well, in a way, the fact that i'm a really crap rider makes me the perfect reviewer, cause everyone here will know that i stack lots. and all i can say is that they are still alive, 3 months on. if you are the kind of dirtjumper who's pretty crap at tricks, but just willing to go big and give any jump a go, then these forks are very recommended.
Hey I thought that was a great review! I am like yourself, learning, slowly going bigger, and stacking - and have been considering a bike equipped with 6" DJ2's, and its nice to hear they hold up well to noob abuse. :lol:

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i bet i could outdo all of you in crashing into trees! shmity knows about crashing on roadgaps.