Status
Not open for further replies.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
smh.com said:
M7 warning: wire strung across bike path
GEORGINA ROBINSON
September 11, 2009 - 10:28AM

The M7 Motorway has issued a warning to cyclists about wire and other objects being strung across its bike path.

"Cyclists are advised to take care when riding, particularly at night," Westlink said in a statement on its website.

"Following recent incidents, Westlink today issued further advice to cyclists using the Westlink M7's shared path to be aware of wire or other objects strung across the path."

The shared path runs from Old Windsor Road at Kings Langley to Camden Valley Way at Prestons.

The company said it was working with police to reduce the problem.
ten chars...

Ask Jeremy Clarkson....I'm sure he'll have an opinion on cyclists and why this is happening
Bahahahaha. Fuck man, sorry i just found that comment funny considering you're avatar has a car in it. not that there's anything wrong with the car in you're avatar. but i still found it funny for some reason. but yeah its pretty dam fucked up, i hope they get caught:mad:.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"The company said it was working with police to reduce the problem."

I am sorry - but WTF? What is reducing the problem? putting the wire lower so it can be bunny-hopped? putting fluro ribbons so we can see it and duck?

Maybe this needs to be treated as a GBH/potential death situation which is what it could be if someone hits one at speed. If there was someone stalking there with a gun or a knife, they wouldn't approach it as a problem to be reduced.

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
"The company said it was working with police to reduce the problem."

I am sorry - but WTF? What is reducing the problem? putting the wire lower so it can be bunny-hopped? putting fluro ribbons so we can see it and duck?

Maybe this needs to be treated as a GBH/potential death situation which is what it could be if someone hits one at speed. If there was someone stalking there with a gun or a knife, they wouldn't approach it as a problem to be reduced.
I couldn't agree more!

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"the company said it was working with police to reduce the problem."

i am sorry - but wtf? What is reducing the problem? Putting the wire lower so it can be bunny-hopped? Putting fluro ribbons so we can see it and duck?

Maybe this needs to be treated as a gbh/potential death situation which is what it could be if someone hits one at speed. If there was someone stalking there with a gun or a knife, they wouldn't approach it as a problem to be reduced.

D2R

Likes Bikes
Never Trust news outlets for the full story. These are the actual releases from Westlink's Website:

Wed, Sep 9th, 2009
Cyclists urged to exercise caution

Westlink today issued advice to cyclists using the Westlink M7's shared path to be aware of wire or other objects strung across the path following an incident being reported.

On Tuesday 8 September two cyclists riding near Church St Rooty Hill encountered wire strung across the path.

Cyclists are advised to take care when riding, particularly at night.

Should you have any information regarding incidents of anti social behaviour, please call Crime Stoppers on 1 800 333 000 or contact Westlink on (02) 9834 9200 or email: info AT westlinkm7 DOT com DOT au
Thu, Sep 10th, 2009
Update: Cyclists urged to exercise caution

Following recent incidents, Westlink today issued further advice to cyclists using the Westlink M7's shared path to be aware of wire or other objects strung across the path.

Cyclists are advised to take care when riding, particularly at night.

Westlink works closely with Police to reduce the incidents of anti social behaviour including funding additional Police patrols in the area. Should you see any anti social incidents or observe any suspicious behaviour, please call Police Crime Stoppers on 1 800 333 000.

I am sure any incident would be taken seriously by the police. To infer that Westlink would leave or lower any wire to "bunny hop" is a spurious statement.
I see this the same as people throwing objects off freeway overpasses.

I have also emailed westlink to register my concern about these incidents maybe others should too if you feel strongly about it.

Last edited:

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sorry but, this was the first thing that came to mind when reading.

Anyway back on track.
This is a stupid brain dead activity that most ''tiny dicked'' people would participate in.

My cousin came across a string of barbed wire between two trees on a motorbike trail going about 50km/h. Lucky it wasn't tight, still ended up with about 30 stitches across his chest though..

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Bahahahaha. Fuck man, sorry i just found that comment funny considering you're avatar has a car in it. not that there's anything wrong with the car in you're avatar. but i still found it funny for some reason. but yeah its pretty dam fucked up, i hope they get caught:mad:.
I'm not saying I dont like the man and his writings and cars.....I just dont agree with his opinions on cyclists....

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am sure any incident would be taken seriously by the police. To infer that Westlink would leave or lower any wire to "bunny hop" is a spurious statement.
I see this the same as people throwing objects off freeway overpasses.
I obviously wasn't trying to infer that they would do these things, just trying to figure out what 'reducing the problem' would involve.

I think it is great that the company gets involved in addressing the problems. I guess it is more an issue with the wording - phrases like 'anti-social behaviour' and 'reducing the problem' suggest something like graffiti, vandalism or property damage rather than something that could inflict serious harm.

The important thing however, is that the issue is taken seriously by the operator and the police - and I am not making a call on that based on press statements.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
It could only happen down that way!..either dumb*uck kids or walkers/ motorists who dont quite like sharing the M7!..I was thinking of riding down there to get some road k's under my belt, think i might stay up here!

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
I ride the M7 path daily and I have heard these rumors from other cyclists. Does anyone know specifically where the booby traps were set????

I had some little cockheads sitting under a bridge trying to throw rocks at me. I jumped of my bike to dish out an old fashioned ass kicking and they bailed:(

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I ride the M7 path daily and I have heard these rumors from other cyclists. Does anyone know specifically where the booby traps were set????

I had some little cockheads sitting under a bridge trying to throw rocks at me. I jumped of my bike to dish out an old fashioned ass kicking and they bailed:(
Should have gotten out the knuckledusters Chris!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
This thread may have had a purpose if it wasn't full of internet heroes..........

Status
Not open for further replies.