WTO overrules European resistance to Bioengineered Crops

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
From Washington Post

WTO Sides With U.S. in Biocrop Dispute With Europe

By Justin Gillis and Paul Blustein
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, February 7, 2006; 4:45 PM

The World Trade Organization has ruled that European resistance to genetically engineered crops amounted to a de facto moratorium that violated international trade rules, according to sources familiar with the ruling who demanded anonymity because the document is confidential.

The finding is a symbolic victory for U.S. farmers and agricultural companies, as well as those in Canada and Argentina, who had challenged Europe's anti-biotechnology stance in the world trade body in Geneva. How much practical effect it will have remains to be seen, though, as resistance to gene-altered crops remains high among European consumers and most European grocery chains refuse to stock products made with such ingredients.

The sources, who were still digesting the lengthy ruling late this afternoon, said the WTO appeared to have found in favor of the United States, which filed the case together with Canada and Argentina, on a majority of the two dozen crops that were part of the dispute. The WTO also found that national bans on certain biotech crops issued by Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Italy and Luxembourg violated trade rules.

The ruling had been widely expected, and it was embraced by pro-biotechnology groups even before it was issued. "The decision was never really in doubt, but its global impact could be huge," said Gregory Conko, an analyst at the Competitive Enterprise Institute in Washington, in a statement. "With the voice of the world community now clearly on the record, we hope the Europeans will quickly dismantle their bans and let science-based policy and consumer freedom prevail."

But anti-biotech groups condemned the ruling and the trade case that led to it. Mary Bottari, an advocate at Global Trade Watch, part of a network of consumer groups founded by Ralph Nader, called the case a "bare-knuckled attempt by the United States to frighten developing nations away from following Europe's example of regulating these products to protect the environment and public health."

European regulators contend that even if the rules the United States challenged -- which were in place for six years, from 1998 to 2004 -- amounted to a moratorium, the ban has been effectively lifted by a stringent new regulatory framework that took effect in 2004.

The United States acknowledges that Europe now appears to be moving forward in considering biotech crops, but contends the process is still too slow and the regulatory standards are unreasonable given that biotech crops pose few risks.
I was a little surprised by this. I naively thought that Europe could withstand pressure like this from the WTO. Personally, I think bio-engineered crops are just another way for biotech companies to take advantage of farmers and ultimately consumers - regardless of their potential threat to the environment.

What really annoys me about the WTO is how it threatens the autonomy of its member countries.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So all you realists out there, are nation states still the primary units in the global structure? I think not, come on down Monsanto......

The issue that makes me feel all dirty inside is the seeds that do not regenerate. Farmers will have to buy each new crop from a company, not re-sow their own seeds. A manipulation of a natural process to further manipulate the market.

I always feel Marxist tendencies rising within me when I read stuff like this. REVOFUCKINLUTION goddamnit!

Edit:
Gregory Conko said:
consumer freedom
Bahahahaha! We take away your freedom to resist so you can have the freedom to do what we want you to do.......................kill him.

Last edited:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
What a bloody shame

Im not surprised the least about this ruling, with the likes of Monsanto etc pulling all the strings of the FDA and thus WTO.

Few years back I wrote a 140ish page paper on the financial and social relevance/worthiness of producing genetically engineered foods.
GE crops prooved to be more expensive in the long run, as more pesticides are needed. The quality of the foods is also compromised, which is why GE tomatos were taken off our shelves some time ago, as they tasted like shit.

The most questionable thing about GE crops is the long term effects of consuming such foods. Research is extremely scarce, but the GE pushers claim these foods are 100% safe. Many scientists claim the effects could be potentially dangerous.

I had hoped that this ruling wouldnt have occured, but hopfully the anti-GE alliance of Europe, New Zealand and to some extent Australia etc will fight back.

Hitman89

Likes Bikes
Farmers wouldn't be using the seed if it wasn't profitable to do, so so it benefits them and the Bio company.

A bigger issue is subsidisation of US and Canadian farmers meaning Australian producers can't compete.

24seven

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
So all you realists out there, are nation states still the primary units in the global structure? I think not, come on down Monsanto......

The issue that makes me feel all dirty inside is the seeds that do not regenerate. Farmers will have to buy each new crop from a company, not re-sow their own seeds. A manipulation of a natural process to further manipulate the market.

I always feel Marxist tendencies rising within me when I read stuff like this. REVOFUCKINLUTION goddamnit!
While I do not like Monsanto or GE food in anyway shape or form what your talking about with the sterile seed was blown out of all proportion. The 'Terminator' gene, as it became known, was one of many horrible mutations that the Agro-Chemical Bio-tech industries tried to push on the world for increased profitis. The key word there is 'tried'. It was an idea on the black board which once exposed to the public was condemmed to the point of the project being scraped. The 'Terminator' gene for those that don't know was Genetically Engineered seed which produced a plant that in turn produced sterile seeds. This would have effectively fucked all Third World subsidence farmers who use some of the current years seed to grow next years crop.

I cannot believe that this industry has the lobbying power and tenacity to force this stuff on Europe- probably the one place in the world with a strict policy of prohibiting GE food or crops.

I hear what your saying about the realists to Johnny! To stubborn to change to weary to learn!

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Monsanto develops a number of fucked-up crops (sorry for my French - I hate these pricks). Some dont reproduce, so obviously the financial rewards lie directly with the supplier.
The other clincher is a crop that can only be sprayed with a particular perticide, off which Monsant also produces - double wammy my friends. Greed at its best.

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
NeBoS said:
...GE crops prooved to be more expensive in the long run, as more pesticides are needed. The quality of the foods is also compromised, which is why GE tomatos were taken off our shelves some time ago, as they tasted like shit....
Yeah, the argument that this will help farmers and consumers is TOTAL BULLSHIT. It is designed for one thing: to get as much money as possible into the accounts of companies like Monsanto. Also,the argument that this technology will help feed the world is bankrupt too. The whole thing is a marketing scam. Fuck WTO style globalisation.

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
Hitman89 said:
Farmers wouldn't be using the seed if it wasn't profitable to do, so so it benefits them and the Bio company.

A bigger issue is subsidisation of US and Canadian farmers meaning Australian producers can't compete.
So, US dumping of GM seed in improverished nations, under the guise of 'Food Aid', that, as a consequence of it being unable to be resown as a secondary crop and, therefore making this country's farmers reliant on more imported seed rather than self-reliant, doesn't stike you as cynical and unethical?

GM grops being used to enslave entire country's historical and cultural agriculture practices to feed multinational greed is the big issue here.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Atomizer said:
So, US dumping of GM seed in improverished nations, under the guise of 'Food Aid', that, as a consequence of it being unable to be resown as a secondary crop and, therefore making this country's farmers reliant on more imported seed rather than self-reliant, doesn't stike you as cynical and unethical?

GM grops being used to enslave entire country's historical and cultural agriculture practices to feed multinational greed is the big issue here.
When I first heard about this I was fuming, and shocked that such a inhumane act could occur on such a large scale. :mad:

scblack said:
Well, I'm off to buy some shares in Monsanto................:cool:
Monsanto has posted massive financial losses over the last two years - I wonder if their luck has changed, however.

Last edited:

Hitman89

Likes Bikes
NeBoS said:
Monsanto develops a number of fucked-up crops (sorry for my French - I hate these pricks). Some dont reproduce, so obviously the financial rewards lie directly with the supplier.
The other clincher is a crop that can only be sprayed with a particular perticide, off which Monsant also produces - double wammy my friends. Greed at its best.

But if the farmer wasn't still better off after paying for the seed and perticide he wouldn't use it. The whole reason for GE crops is to get more crop from the same area of farmed land in a given time period, To make them more resisent to disease, to gorw faster and to be bigger and better. In the next 20 years the world will face an extreme food shortage without the use of GE crops.

The only thing we can hope for is that 3rd world countires can get the benefit of these crops as they can't grow enough of the normal crops. With the population explosion in the thrid world food supply is never going to keep up forcing the price up making it harder to import through aid grants.

Food shortage is going to become and increasing problem. GE crops can help.

Hitman89

Likes Bikes
Atomizer said:

90% of US aid is given "tied aid" anyway. I don't see the difference in giving them GE seed than giving them $100 mio if they agree to spend on US wheat.

Actually I prefer it at least then they will be allowed to grow it, farm it and improve their economy and help feed there own..

I Guarantee that the starving don't care if their food is GE or not.

Last edited:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I 100% don’t agree with anything you have said here:

Hitman89 said:
But if the farmer wasn't still better off after paying for the seed and perticide he wouldn't use it. The whole reason for GE crops is to get more crop from the same area of farmed land in a given time period, To make them more resisent to disease, to gorw faster and to be bigger and better. In the next 20 years the world will face an extreme food shortage without the use of GE crops.
Yes, this is the idea behind GE crops – make them bigger, better, more tasty, more resistant…. But this hasn’t been the case – more pesticides are needed, the foods contain less nutrients, they taste like farking shite, and the actual crop production is poor.

The reason why farmers use GE crops is because they are a) misinformed/misguided and b) the seed is heavily discounted.

Hitman89 said:
The only thing we can hope for is that 3rd world countires can get the benefit of these crops as they can't grow enough of the normal crops. With the population explosion in the thrid world food supply is never going to keep up forcing the price up making it harder to import through aid grants.

Food shortage is going to become and increasing problem. GE crops can help.
Rubbish.
Have you ever heard of biodiversity and permaculture? There are specific government agencies around the world that are developing biologically sustainable means of producing bumper crops (like crop rotation for example – where bugs cannot find the new crop) without the excessive use of neither pesticide nor GE crops.

Hitman89 said:
Oh yeh, this is why impoverished people in Africa refused to consume thousands of tones of GE corn that was supplied by America, who didnt want it. Not good enough for us - good enough for you.

The cartoon below displays Monsanto's dislike of GE foods being labelled. I wonder why?

Last edited:

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
Hitman89 said:
90% of US aid is given "tied aid" anyway. I don't see the difference in giving them GE seed than giving them $100 mio if they agree to spend on US wheat.

Actually I prefer it at least then they will be allowed to grow it, farm it and improve their economy and help feed there own..

For the US Aid = what's in it for us.

Aid would be best provided in the form of practical solutions to the problem of crop failure in drought prone counties to assist in the development of better, more sustainable farming practices that better suit that countries climate and that feed it's people for the long-term. Giving them short-term solutions, that are really only a means of ingraining their economic dependence on other countries, is at at the core of why impoverished countries stay just this. It is in the US's best interest to ensure it stays this way to. Nevermind it is to the countries detriment. Econonmically enslaving a country at it's most vunerable. Nice. :rolleyes:

Hitman89

Likes Bikes
Atomizer said:
For the US Aid = what's in it for us.

Aid would be best provided in the form of practical solutions to the problem of crop failure in drought prone counties to assist in the development of better, more sustainable farming practices that better suit that countries climate and that feed it's people for the long-term. Giving them short-term solutions, that are really only a means of ingraining their economic dependence on other countries, is at at the core of why impoverished countries stay just this. It is in the US's best interest to ensure it stays this way to. Nevermind it is to the countries detriment. Econonmically enslaving a country at it's most vunerable. Nice. :rolleyes:
I 100% agree with all of that, The way it is and the way it should be are on different ends of the scale when it comes to Foreign Aid.

From the farmers perpective on GE
http://www.workopolis.com/servlet/News/fasttrack/20020621/COGMFOOD?section=Engineering

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
Hitman89 said:
I 100% agree with all of that, The way it is and the way it should be are on different ends of the scale when it comes to Foreign Aid.
Yep..and as long as organisations like the WTO and World Bank act counter to the actual needs of developing nations, and the rest of us indirectly, in facilitating economy-building by providing legitimate, unconditional, assistance, hundreds of millions of people, who could be on the road to self-reliance, remain tethered to the yoke of neocolonialist greed.

Last edited:

kerbdrop

Likes Dirt
WTO and world bank..
what a farce.. they implicitly serve the interests of their richest stakeholders, namely the US of A

Electing the right wing Bolton butthead to the UN council, he himself an outspoken critic of the UN.. what kind of a message does that send out to the wider global community?

I really wonder why any of this hasn't raised the ire of the rest of the world.. we going to watch on silently as USA shits all over any signs of solidarity in readiness to fling it into the blades of the fan??

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
I don't think capitalism is at fault here. It is, like any other economic ideology, susceptible to the human perversions of greed for money and power. But, surely there are ways capitalism could be modified (eg, reviewing the rights of insitutions like WTO, IMF and World Bank, or reviewing globalisation in general) and perhaps expanded upon (eg. introduction of the 'triple bottom line' which includes social and environmental costs).

Atomizer: I love that term 'neocolonialist greed' so fitting.

24seven

Likes Dirt
NeBoS said:
Monsanto is one of a whole group of companies that produce this unwanted crap. Another company, Astra Zeneca produces one pesticide which is cacernagenic (sp) and it's medical wing produces a drug which treats cancer paitients!

Now that is a double whammy!

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure of the 'when and where' and forgive me the lack of details, but it came from a credible source and went much like this...

A genetically engineered microbe was created a few years ago that had some pretty amazing abilities. When introduced to sugar cane mulch, it quickly fed on it and turned the mulch into ethanol and very rich 'organic' fertilizer. People were excited I'm sure, as creating a fuel source and topsoil in one great double wammy is surely what this world needs.

After much excitement, the new fertilizer was spread on a test field upon which seed were sown. They went off. The plants loved the shit. Preparations were made to unleash the microbes on the world and save the planet. Then, mysteriously, the crops died. You see, this little devil of a microbe was in competition with all sorts of other microbes. Most notably, one that assists almost all plantlife on the planet in absorbing nitrogen from the soil. No microbe, no nitrogen transfer, no plant life.

What would have happened if this microbe could not be contained. Bingo, all plant life on the planet dead. Oops.

Fuck with nature at this level? Play with fire and you just might get burnt.

On a brighter note, just think what we might witness in our lifetime. Other generations only got to see sword fights and air raids. We might be so lucky as to witness the passive total anhiallation of the planet. Now that's someting to talk about in the next world.