X Fusion vs Fox Triad Rear Shock

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Looking at swapping my X Fusion O2 RLA rear shock on my Spesh FSR XC Comp to a Fox Triad shock. Just wondering if anyone has made this change and what people's opinions are of the Fox Triad.

My bike is the bottom of the range so it came with RS Tora forks and the x fusion shock. I have since upgraded to a RS Reba and the difference between the forks is night and day. So having changed the fork and feeling the difference between a mid range and bottom range fork, I am wondering if a rear shock upgrade will do the same. The fox triad shock is the one that came with the top of the range FSR XC pro. It has rebound and propedal settings. The main reason I am thinking of the Triad is that the shock need's to be a specific stroke for the bike. Therefore the triad would be a direct swap and is tuned specifically for the frame. I would prefer a normal fox rp23 or the ctd ones but they do not make it in the right size. I would have to get the stroke reduced. The triad will cost around $300 but a modified rp23 is closer to $600. So big price difference. I do general trails, no big jumps or anything.

Thanks for any advice

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2007 Spesh? If so, the Triads were made by X-fusion in the same factory. The Triad will feel nicer, but I never used the propedal adjustments on mine (I've had two of them)

I wouldn't spend the money if you don't have to. Put it towards a whole new bike.

speshboy

Likes Bikes
It's a 2009 model. Think it's a Triad II. Not sure what the difference between the Triad I and II versions. Interesting that it was made in the X fusion factory! Still I' m sure it's a completely different design to the X Fusion.

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the offer beardi but the i2i on your shock is slightly smaller than what I need. What are your impressions of the Triad shock? Is the propedal effective?

beardi

Likes Dirt
Wow I thought 2008/09 were the same frame/shape. Figured it'd be a straight swap. The pro pedal works well but i found the shock in general pretty difficult to setup properly. Poor small bump compliance so i'd drop the pressure to get that and then the thing would blow through travel and wallow. Fix the wallow and back to no small bump compliance....couldn't win so moved on