X0 Grip shift and Carbon Bars

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So...

As I was tidying up, stripping bits of things etc... I was pulling a set of grip shifts of an old carbon bar I had and happen to notice the clamp on the grip shift has "pinched" the carbon bar where the little gap in the clamp is. Now it's likely it was over tightened on my behalf I will concede undoing it it wasn't especially tight, and I'm usually pretty concious of such issues... has anyone else experience as such with grip sift? or have I really just overtightened it? :/ The bar has seen more than a couple of seasons under me racing more than my fair share of enduros, so I'd retired it anyway but still, most other things have a wider and more carbon bar friendly clamps is all and you have to do the grip shift up reasonable tight so it doesn't twist while you grab handfulls... a bit disconcerting. I might double check my other bars now!!

...on a side note, anyone want a carbon flat bar? 580 wide, 2 or 3 seasons racing, hardly any damage :D

Cheers
Spoooon

cfd01

Likes Bikes
I have this arangement too.

I have just checked mine and no noticeable indentations from the clamp. Mind you mine are only around 4 months old tho.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not having worked with grip shift - how do they clamp to the bars? Guessing a grub screw onto a collar type of arrangement (similar to a lock on grip) - or do they use a pinch bolt similar to a brake lever?

Would torqueing the bolt help (stem bolts usually 7Nm) or using carbon assembly compound help?

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Never considered that whilst purchasing my XO gripshifters and carbon bar recently...

Will have to keep that in mind...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Not having worked with grip shift - how do they clamp to the bars? Guessing a grub screw onto a collar type of arrangement (similar to a lock on grip) - or do they use a pinch bolt similar to a brake lever?

Would torqueing the bolt help (stem bolts usually 7Nm) or using carbon assembly compound help?
Pinch bolt. It doesn't appear to be "round" on the inside either, like there's a lip there from the get go. Torqueing it would probably help, not sure what the Rec torque is, but IMHO the clamp it self isn't entirely friendly. I'm half a mind to get in there with a file and either round off the edges or the lip or both...

Dunno... could be just mine and newer/different models don't have the same characteristics. I like I said earlier, I just over torqued it. Could also be something about the outer weave of the bar I used...

*shrug* Maybe I should take some photos and you can see what I mean ;)

Cheers
Spoon

rangie

Likes Dirt
7nm :-(

7nm would be way too much IMHO. I generally keep stuff on the bars towards the looser end (by feel) so in a crash they spin rather than break...has worked thus far as i have a lot of exp in that dept :-(

With both gripshift and also new xtr the bottom is not always the best. On xtr for example I have found sharp edges requiring a bit of sanding or a file to round off. Prob best to do this as a matter of course for all bits attached to bars, carbon or otherwise.