XC bike <$800

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A cheap V-brake can be easily set up to out perform a cheap disc... cheap discs usually take a bit of fiddling to get working well and then there's upkeep and replacement parts to worry about too. Good V brake vs cheap disc, no game.

fukachu

Likes Bikes
Cheap V' vs Cheap Disc, really depends on whether the disc is a cheap hydraulic or cheap wire pull.

Simply, a hydraulic disc uses a hydraulic chamber (how do they think of these names?) to drive the brake pad and provide greater braking force to the disc than you apply to the lever. Therefore you can stop with less work. Allowing you to brake with one finger while hanging on for dear life with the rest.

A wire pull disc uses a wire(must be what they pay marketers for) to apply the brake pad and therefore doesn't apply any more braking force to the disc than that created by the lever and your arms. Similarly the V brake relies on the lever and your arms. As a disc brake mechanism weighs more and is more costly per unit, you could end up with a lighter and higher quality v brake for the same cost. Or you could end up with a cheaper but better performing bike by selecting the v-brake "down spec" option of a bike.

Also some cheap wire pull discs only apply brake pad pressure to one side relying on this force to push the disc onto the other brake pad. This is a really inefficient way to do it but cheap. Finally v-brakes are easier to maintain than a disc, be it cable or hydraulic which is another advantage.

So in conclusion, a v brake is generally better than a cable disc at providing stopping and is cheaper and weighs less. A cheap hydraulic brake is a better stopper than both the v brake and wire pull disc, but is more expensive than both.

Why is the price of the brakes important when buying a complete bike? Because they will have a build budget and any extra spent on one component usually means a downgrade on another. Most of the bikes up to the $750 RRP Price point tend to run wire pull discs, with a v brake option available. From the 750-990 RRP you can find entry level hydraulic discs (Shimano 525, Avid Strykers and Tektro's) from memory, but a lot of bikes still run crappy wire pull disc brakes.

In the $600-900ish price range some of the best are(prices are from memory):

Gary Fisher Wahoo Vbrake RRP $699
Giant Yukon Disc RRP $745
Apollo Aspire RRP $950
Avanti Montari RRP $899
GT Avalanche 1,2,3 $1000-$650

This comes from recently scouring the market for a friend and girlfriend on a similar budget.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Hey there,

I really don't know much about bikes, and without meaning to hi-jack this thread any more than it already is, but what about hydraulic v-brakes (if they even exist :confused:) after all if bigger disks are better, and a V-brake uses the entire rim of the wheel as the "disc" as such, then I would assume that would be good, coupled with all the other advantages of hydraulic brakes...

As I said, I really don't know much about bikes, and I'm sure if hydraulic V-brakes worked really well, they would be more common place. Anway, the reasons I joined this place, to ask questions so I can get answers :D.

cobba

Likes Dirt
Hey there,

I really don't know much about bikes, and without meaning to hi-jack this thread any more than it already is, but what about hydraulic v-brakes (if they even exist :confused:) after all if bigger disks are better, and a V-brake uses the entire rim of the wheel as the "disc" as such, then I would assume that would be good, coupled with all the other advantages of hydraulic brakes...

As I said, I really don't know much about bikes, and I'm sure if hydraulic V-brakes worked really well, they would be more common place. Anway, the reasons I joined this place, to ask questions so I can get answers :D.
They exist: http://www.magura.com/english/produkte_static/produkt_2008_hs33.htm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6003

Here's some reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/mfr/magura/brake-system/hs33-/PRD_350692_108crx.aspx

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A cheap hydraulic brake is a better stopper than both the v brake and wire pull disc, but is more expensive than both.
Hayes Sole?

If the disc brake is anything less than an Avid or Shimano, forget about it... those two companies make decent gear that still fits in the "cheap" bracket, I wouldn't want to deal with the others.

They exist:

Here's some reviews:

Thanks for that, although I thought you said there were "some reviews" personally I would call that a LOT of reviews. I read down about half the page and think I got the genral idea, great for trials and about the best V-brake out there. :)

bazza

look at me
Hayes Sole?

If the disc brake is anything less than an Avid or Shimano, forget about it... those two companies make decent gear that still fits in the "cheap" bracket, I wouldn't want to deal with the others.
have you tried the tektros? mineral oil, dual pistion, cheap to repair/adjust cable length? i don't mind selling bikes with these one. had very few come back and usually it costs us bugger all and didn't take more than half an hour to fix a caliper or lever body. compare this to said HAYES SOLE and we had almost every bike we sold with them on come back. horrible creations.

also in that price range (current clearance prices) the Fluid 08 Renegade is $550 atm and the Fluid Nitro is $699 both with oil dampened forks, one has shimano cable brakes the other tektro hydros, both 9spd shimano. Nitro has LX, Renegade Deore and the Nitro has your standard shimano hubs and eyeleted rims. Not bad bikes by an Australian company.

.... take a look at an '08 Norco Storm (the '09 model has discs however) ... Dart 3's up front ... not a bad bike for the price range... there are still a few left ex-Melbourne ... see your LBS.

ChEeRs

also in that price range (current clearance prices) the Fluid 08 Renegade is $550 atm and the Fluid Nitro is $699 both with oil dampened forks, one has shimano cable brakes the other tektro hydros, both 9spd shimano. Nitro has LX, Renegade Deore and the Nitro has your standard shimano hubs and eyeleted rims. Not bad bikes by an Australian company.
Just looked them up, some of those bikes look very nice, although I'm getting a 404 error on the page for the "Mayhem" do you have any pictures of it?
Always nice to buy Australian when you can. :cool: