Xc bike for trials????

noske

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
I would like to get into trials and at the moment have an xc bike.
Will it be any good for trials at a beginers level?

Also wondering how much would it cost for a cheap trials bike second hand.

Thanks.

Gronk

Likes Dirt
http://www.trials-online.com/trials-bikes-setup.php

This should answer most of your questions.

There are a couple of second hand bikes right here on farkin, a Raceline Rhino stock for about $300, and a mongoose transfer (or something)... while not the best for trials, it would be a decent start.

Other than that, trials bikes are like any bike, you pick what you want based on how much you want to spend... $300 up to $1,000 and more second hand. Brand new you wont get out of it for less than about $1,300.

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode a 14" XC bike for over a year when I first started out in trials. Its a lot easier with a real trials bike but small frame XC bikes can be a good entry into the sport.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
particularly with a small frame xc bike you should be able to get started on the basics of trials, I don't think that there is a real need to get a proper trials bike.

I tried a bit on a larger framed xc bike, and that was a little difficult, but it was a longer frame as well, so not at all suited.

noske

Likes Dirt
My frame is pretty large and I only weigh about 55kg and am about 165cm tall. Will that make a difference? What about a bmx?

donkay

Likes Dirt
basically if you were to start off...

BMX bikes are definetly no no's, will NEVER work (well yeah.....................but that's like extremely rare and crazy)

XC bikes are definetly possible as back in the day pre-2000 All Trials bikes were pretty much XC bikes, like Schwinns, Cannondale's, Giant's were used if you couldn't believe, and they were ripping up things quite well, and i used to start on my Kmart MTB bike so yeah, in the end the answer is 'yes' it's possible

Just sort of expect things to die....slowly in the process :)

Which leads to the newer kids in the block

XC bikes = Stock/26" (you can ride it with completely stock parts)
BMX Bikes = Modified/20" (Longer term from 'mod' as these bikes were HEAVILY modified into the Trials bikes today with almost every part being special)

dylanm

Squid
You can definately learn to trackstand and pivot on a xc bike. When i began hopping on my old one, it did slowly die. stripped my cranks, bb, and destroyed my rear hub. so, if you're gonna learn on an xc, take good care of it, and either learn on a spare bike that you don't mind when parts break, or a bike with good parts that wont break.

stocktrials

Likes Dirt
^ yep. i'd get a spare bike. begin digging a grave for the xc bike if you plan to use it for trials

but definately possible. slower learning curve, but you can do it if you're young

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
didnt pretty much the greatest trials rider of all time (from the 80's/90's) ride an xc bike, i dont know his name but i've seen it on a dvd at work

catastrophic

Likes Bikes
I had a BMX for trails back in the day its was tuff enough to take trials but the problem i had was it snaped cables on a weekly bassis. At the time cables were around $10 - 15 each ( no idea what they are now ) so doing 1 or 2 weekly started to add up

I Want to get into trials, bit the only bike I have is an 06 Norco Rival, what would be the best thing for me to upgrade. I Know I need a new wheel set, as the current ones are stuffed, and the forks are pretty dodgy. So I would appreciate any recomendations on what to get. Also, being a student, I don't have much money to spend on it.

Povi

Likes Dirt
rigid forks, working brakes, and if possible, run a v brake in the rear instead of a disc

TinkiWinki

Banned
Sorry but i dont think so, XC bikes are to high, to steep and to long. You could look for a cheap street bike like the legendary STP:p Riders like Ryan Leech seem to do alright on bike similar to this.

Povi

Likes Dirt
Im sure almost all trials riders have started on a xc hardtail. I know i did.

A STP is an option, but if you bash it around to much, the rear disc tabs will snap off, leaving you with an un-usable bike. A xc bike will usually have post mounts, and they are extremely hard to damage, V brakes are the way to go for beginners.

If he already has a xc bike, why should he have to go buy a street bike that is heavier and more snap/break prone? he may as well learn on what he has, then buy a trials bike with the money saved from not buying a street bike.

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
Sorry but i dont think so, XC bikes are to high, to steep and to long. You could look for a cheap street bike like the legendary STP:p Riders like Ryan Leech seem to do alright on bike similar to this.
Ryan Leechs doesn't ride an STP. Lenosky does, but he is a weapon. A small XC bike is fine for trials, some people say even better than a DJ/Street bike. They are lighter, the steep head angle is better and if the frame is small, they are shorter.

BTW I learnt on an STP for 3 months..

catastrophic

Likes Bikes
Im in the process of converting my old XC bike that was configured for downhill into a trails bike, Talk about getting my moneys worth.

I know its not the ideal trails bike but I just want to get out & have some fun when i dont have time to get up to the hills

2step

Squid
A small sized XC bike would be good for beginners, try to invest in some rigid forks with a decent wheelset, and at least 36 engagement points on the rear hub...so pedal kicks, power moves are easier. A good set of V-brakes/ Pads would be ideal, and maybe a booster too. See if you can pick some second hand cranks with a bashguard, and a Isis bottom bracket for added strength. If you want more of a street feel go for a shorter higher stem with high rise bars, or if your doing natural riding, a lower/ longer stem with a flat trails bar is good. Wide handlebars also add better balance, hoped that helped.