XC Race Rules

climbo

Likes Dirt
Are there any rules set down by MTBA that forbid CX bike or 29 inch wheel bikes from entering XC races? I assume some promoters make up their own minds but is there anything under MTBA or even UCI that restricts the type of bike you can ride?

Corty

Likes Dirt
I've definitely seen a few nutters riding CX bikes at CORC XC club races and there were plenty of 29-ers at this year's Scott 24Hr, so they're definitely not forbidden. In the case of the CX bike, if the race course designer decides to include technical rock and log sections you'd have no right to complain (that said I've heard of XC races where guys on XC hardtails complained:D). As for 29-ers they're more of a MTB option which I'd be stunned if they were refused at races. 29-ers do have their downsides so it's not like you'd be cheating.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a set of rules available off the MTBA website?

That would be a clear answer and avoid hearsay.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You know they book they sent you with your membership card (assuming you're an MTBA member? That's probably what you want. Failing that have a look at the rules on the UCI website, www.uci.ch.

climbo

Likes Dirt
UCI just says no wheels bigger than 29". I'll have to see if I still have that little blue booklet, I suppose I might get a new one when I join up again next year anyway. Seems likely that there is no reason to not allow a CX bike in a normal MTB race. And no, I would not complain about the bumps Corty, this is more for a dirt crit in which the course is hardly technical. I'll stick to the regular MTB for proper XC races.