XC shorts - recommendations?

HamishS

Likes Dirt
Yep I am not a knicks kinda guy ... rather a solid pair of padded shorts do me well.

Though was wondering if anyone can provide recommendations as to a pair of XC shorts. Currently riding in a Nike MTB pair which are great though cant seem to find them anywhere.

Looking for something I can wear commuting, weekends and on a 50km race ... dont need a thousand pockets, rather not too long, and a brand where the padding / inner keeps it form.

Let us know?

Cheers

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I've got some Bellweather ones I think they are. They've been good with a good chamois that's worn well, although they're ripping around the waistband now. Fair enough - they've lasted a year and a half of being worn 1-2 times a week and washed probably to 80 times.

Having said that, I much prefer my bib knicks now that I have some because on long rides the waistband of the shorts gets uncomfortable and basically cuts in to my stomach. I'm sure it was a factor in regugitating my lunch 3 weeks ago.

I was another "not a lycra guy" but the practicalities of bib knicks made me put fashion aside.

bear the bear

Is a real bear

I suggest these roomy, comfortable, but they catch on the odd tree.

Otherwise have a search this has been discussed a number of times before

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Try some Endura shorts from Chain Reaction Cycles. Also Ground Effect make some good shorts. Having got both brands, i must say that i prefer the Endura ones more. They seem a bit better value too.

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
I have a pair of Ground Effect Double Happys and very pleased with them. They're light, well made and perfect for summer riding as they have quite short legs. I've been weighing up my options to buy an additional pair of shorts and will most probably get another of these.

I've also worn some Netti shorts which have both lasted very well. And these are well priced and easy to get hold of at places such as Rebel Sports (which means you can try them on!). The only downside to these is that the inners are thicker material which makes them slightly less comfortable and more suited to cooler rides.

Oh and I've owned a pair of Fox shorts as well. But I find the liners in these too bulky and definitely not as comfortable. Hmm... double happys it will have to be.

And lycra may be more comfortable but please think about the people riding behind you :)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Got me a pair of Vaude Cruise Bermuda shorts which are awesome, if a little pricey (like most good bike shorts!) The liner is far too small relative to the shorts, but apparently that's been fixed in the new range and the sizes now match up better. I just use some bellwether liners instead which are awesome and very cool due to the semi-mesh fabric.

I was really disappointed with the Ground Effects shorts, they seem massively long and baggy to me, even when you fit the waste band. They went back straight away.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Some comfy knicks under whatever shorts you want. Always better than inbuilt pads in MTB shorts IMO.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
any NZO shorts, nut i think they have gone bust so look out at T7 for specials,

i've also found the fox shorts are really comfy and the inners are well built.

stu125

Likes Bikes
I just got 2 pairs of padded shorts from ABC.
They have there red hot specials & I picked them up for $20 per pair

Stu

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
+1 for the Ground Effect offerings.

I've got a pair of both the Juggernauts and the Double happys. Both pairs are hard wearing and really comfy on long rides, but not that baggy that they catch on your saddle. The Double Happys are short when riding and the lining isn't removable like it is in the Juggernauts. Also they put money back into the sport through trail advocacy and maitanance.

Felixe

Likes Bikes
Brisbane shops for XC shorts?

I've been using Fox which are quite good, but I am looking for some more shorts. Mine came from FTR, can anyone recommend any other good shops in Brisbane?