XC Tyres for FR bike?

loc81

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
I had a little hunt around but but didn't see any posts beside the "racing Ralphs" thread. A bit similar but anyway..
I'm going in the Scott 24hr, however my ride is a Mongoose Khyber. Hardly a XC machine but I'll give it a go!
At the moment the bikes on the factory Kenda Nevegal's (2.35 i believe) and would love to hear some thoughts on some more XC friendly tyres.

Being such a solid bike would I see much difference?
I noticed on a youtube vid one with an XC Kenda Excavator up front and a 1.9 small block at at the back which was interesting..
Keep in mind that being a am/fr style bike my riding can be rough.

Any thoughts on brands, sizes, tread pattern, side wall thickness etc would be of great use!
Phew!!!
Thanks folks

Putting lighter/skinnier/faster rolling tyres on will make SUCH a difference.

Find something still aggressive for the front, like a Maxxis advantage 2.1, or even 2.1 sizing of what you use now, and something fast rolling for the rear, I use a ranchero 2.0, or such as a rendez, a small block, etc. Look for ones that hold plenty of air too, as that will help with your more aggressive riding.

So in Summary, an aggressive-ish 2.1 up front and a fast rolling 2.1 or below rear should give the confidence in your ride and help with your speed and your fatigue.

Cheers

JB.

Theres a thread here somewhere too that has tons of xc tyre reveiws. Have a search

If still looking for some fatter but quicker rolling rubber, maybe look at a Larsen in a 2.35 rear, with maybe an Ignitor 2.3 front. Both available wire bead, and the Ignitor also available in UST.

Back