XC Tyres

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting how you go with this - anyone else use larsens on the front? I've recently switched to larsen front and back, seems ok so far (after a few days). I think I'll go Ignitor on front and Larsen on rear - or a maxxis dy-no-mite on the front - do they still make the dy-no-mite?
I used Ignitor F/Larsen R until the ignitor got the Maxxis bubble - was good all-round even in the wet.

golden path

Banned
Interesting how you go with this - anyone else use larsens on the front? I've recently switched to larsen front and back, seems ok so far (after a few days). I think I'll go Ignitor on front and Larsen on rear - or a maxxis dy-no-mite on the front - do they still make the dy-no-mite?
The Ignitor is almost identical to the Dy-no-mite, minor difference in the centre tread only.

I liked the 2.1 Rendez up front with a 2.1 Monorail out the back. The Rendez outcorners the Monorail, which when I tried it up front just wanted to wash out in any loose stuff.

The Exception series tyres get cut to bits around here, which is why I'm now running a 2.25 Ardent up front and regular folding 2.1 Ignitor down the back. (Ignitor is set up ghetto tubeless with tape and Stan's)

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
I was running Larsen F & R. I found that I was dropping the bike through loose or bumpy corners far too often for my liking, so I now have an Ignitor on the front and it is miles grippier through the loose or bumpy stuff. I still run Larsen on the rear. I also run Larsen F & R for the longer events, such as Dirtworks and the Fling, as I find there is not enough tight twisty terrain to need the Ignitor. I also had a Monorail on the rear, which I found spins out much more easily when standing than the Larsen. It is rather annoying and momentum halting. I'll try the Monorail on the rear on the next wet ride I think.

Yep, I'm a Maxxis fan.

:)

stu125

Likes Bikes
Recently swaped to Crossmark & Larsen combo & I havnt had a problem.
Heaps of front grip compard with the Tioga XC (Think thats what they were) & noticable difference in the rolling resistance(rolls like a demon now)

Stu

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Wow what a thread!

I've used the Crossmark and Larsen TT as a rear tyre and find them to be good on dry and compact surfaces. The TTs get a bit skittish on the corners due to a lack of side knobs but they are great for climbing in the dry. The crossmark is a better all-round tyre with great rolling resistance. I use Ignitor on the front and they are a great all round front tyre and can be used on the rear as well.

These days I got some Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and Rocket Rons. Have to say they are another level up again on the Maxxis. Loads of grips on the corners wtih the Ralph having better rolling resistance and the Rons better in the damp to wet conditions. The compound is softer with more aggressive side knobs for cornering. All this performance comes at a price literally....they are darn expensive new and wear out quickly. I am attempting to get improved performance from the maxxis by attempting to cut grooves in them to get better cornering grip.

Next tyre will be trying are the Continentals. Have got some Race Kings on order ..expect them to be fast with ok grip. Looking at the mountain king too which look more grippier.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Next tyre will be trying are the Continentals. Have got some Race Kings on order ..expect them to be fast with ok grip. Looking at the mountain king too which look more grippier.
You got the 1st part right they are definitely fast. Think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much grip is on offer. Hopefully you bought the 2.2 size? The 2.0 are not as good as big brother.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got the Aspen..........

Tyre: Maxxis Aspen 2.1 Exception
Strengths: Looking at the tyre it doesn't look that much, but turns out very grippy. Rode it in the Otway O as my first decent ride and it was great. From ST to fire trail, even in the muddy bits never lost the front end. And fast too! Pretty impressed.
Weakness: Even though I went ok in the mud in the OO, I wouldn't think it's much good as a winter tyre. Get your other set out for that! Also looks like it will wear quickly. Also looks thin for a 2.1.
Weight: Mr Maxxis says 475.
Bottom Line: Great fast tyre, saved me bling on getting some Racing Ralphs for a pretty good result!
Rating: 9/10

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You got the 1st part right they are definitely fast. Think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much grip is on offer. Hopefully you bought the 2.2 size? The 2.0 are not as good as big brother.
I've gone to Racing Ralph2.25 front/Race King 2.2 rear and finding them great, haven't crashed yet, touch wood ! Got some hairy moments but they hung in there, they have more grip than I have confidence...

Knut

Troll hunter
Onza Cannis 2.0

They rock harder than Hendrix.

In the dry they are amazing. The cornering is very predictable and bity. The accelleration is awesome and the braking, especially over ruts is better than anything I have ever had.

Tested in skatey Beechworth (Rosewhite), wet and dry You Yangs, dry Mt Beauty and Muddy Forrest.

The mud doesnt seem to hurt them much, but they are not a Mudusa.

I run 32psi on a hardtail.

I just love them.

Last edited:

Landon

Likes Dirt
Just got the Aspen..........

Tyre: Maxxis Aspen 2.1 Exception
Strengths: Looking at the tyre it doesn't look that much, but turns out very grippy. Rode it in the Otway O as my first decent ride and it was great. From ST to fire trail, even in the muddy bits never lost the front end. And fast too! Pretty impressed.
Weakness: Even though I went ok in the mud in the OO, I wouldn't think it's much good as a winter tyre. Get your other set out for that! Also looks like it will wear quickly. Also looks thin for a 2.1.
Weight: Mr Maxxis says 475.
Bottom Line: Great fast tyre, saved me bling on getting some Racing Ralphs for a pretty good result!
Rating: 9/10
Yeah, I've got to agree with your there. I swapped to a pair of 60tpi Aspens (running SPEX sealant on my SLR's) from a pair of tubeless ready Pythons. The Aspen rolls just as fast, but has a more solid feel in the corners. I'm loving them so far! From past experience, I wasn't game to try the exception casing with a tubeless setup.

drew.d

Likes Bikes
Floaty feeling

I've got a monorail out the back, and recently have noticed a floaty feeling as soon as I corner or lean the bike on a firm surface. Les noticeable on the trail simply because of the uneveness.

My question is if it was because of not enough pressure, or because the tyre, being a bit old, has started to weaken in the side walls, and to flex a bit more.

Does anyone else recognise this floaty feeling?

golden path

Banned
If that's happening on firm terrain it's likely because your pressure is too low - it's called "tyre wallow" and is simply the tyre carcass flexing around under load. The Monorail can be skaty on loose terrain I have to say, but in its element (harder, packed trails) it's a great XC tyre.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Conti Mountain King Vs Race King

The question is, if the size of the tyre is the same, which tyre will have a bigger bag.
I have read that the race king is a large volume tyre.
The bike the tyre is going on is a Trance.
The reason I ask is that the larsen TT on the rear is a 2.0 and doesnt have a whole heap of room left. How much bigger would a Race king 2.2 be ?? I intend to put a 2.2 MK on the front, and put a 2.2 RK on the rear,but am concerned it wont fit.
The other alternative is a 2.0 RK on the rear(obviously).

Any help with sizes will be very helpful.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I read somewhere that the 2.2 RK still had a tread width of the 2.0 RK but with a slightly larger/wider bag. But I have no idea if it would fit on your trance. However I think the Trance would be designed for such a tyre.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
The question is, if the size of the tyre is the same, which tyre will have a bigger bag.
I have read that the race king is a large volume tyre.
The bike the tyre is going on is a Trance.
The reason I ask is that the larsen TT on the rear is a 2.0 and doesnt have a whole heap of room left. How much bigger would a Race king 2.2 be ?? I intend to put a 2.2 MK on the front, and put a 2.2 RK on the rear,but am concerned it wont fit.
The other alternative is a 2.0 RK on the rear(obviously).

Any help with sizes will be very helpful.
I'm running Race kings and Mountain Kings on my 29er(s). The 2.2 RK is pretty close to a 'true' 2.2 (although it doesn't have the bag of something like the Racing Ralph 2.25). The mountain King 2.2 is actually quite narrow - looks more like a 2.0. Conti tyres have a reputation of being somewhat 'narrow'

A mate runs 2.2 Mountain Kings front and rear on his (26 inch) anthem and it fits ok...

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the advice.

A set of MK 2.2 (new) came up for sale thru the local club at a good price, so will try them.