XC wheels - recomemndations/suggestions?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Okies so wifey is picking up her new frame (S-works Era!) in a week and a half. Given its only a frame, I guess its going to be hard to ride without wheels (amongst other things!). She's pretty set in what she wants except the wheels.

On her current bike (soon to become her "other" bike) she has the Stans 355 ZTR wheels (quiggs can you confirm given you knew the wheels pretty well :)) - she really likes them but it would be a pain in the a$$ to "chop and change" between the two bikes - as such she/we are in the market for a pair of nice wheels.
Our LBS will most likely suggest Roval Control SL wheels, which is fine with me (I have them on my bike and think they are great), but just trying to get an idea of what other options there are.
I am the first to admit I know very little about wheels. A quick google search suggested some possible options:

* Mavic Crossmax SLR
* Fulcrum Red Metal Zero XRP
* Shimano XTR
* another set of Stans 355ZTR (where do you even get them from?)

Requirements wise, looking something light for XC racing.
Budget-wise, I would like to keep it under $1500

Open to suggestions :)

Slightly off topic - is it considered "poor form" to buy separate components from a different store if my LBS is essentially going to be "building the bike"? Its likely everything will be purchased through the LBS (only exception I can think of might be wheels).

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My standard answer - TWE. Greg builds his wheels up on Stans rims (and can either supply his own branded hubs, or build with supplied hubs). Quality of the work is A1, price is brilliant. You could probably buy 2 sets with that $1500 and come out with change too. (Get a race set and a training set maybe?)

Give him a ring and have a chat - details at www.ridetwe.com.au

(Don't bother emailing, much better on the phone).

Flick has a set that Greg built up for her, she's rapt. Drop her a line and see what she thinks about them.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If money is no object I'd recommend the Rovals as well. I've had XTR, and Crossmax, in the past; flawless. The Rovals (carbon) are just unbelievably stiff & weigh much less.

If budget is a concern then a custom wheelset would make sense. It would most likely be lighter then the Mavic or Shimano.

Okies so wifey is picking up her new frame (S-works Era!) in a week and a half. Given its only a frame, I guess its going to be hard to ride without wheels (amongst other things!). She's pretty set in what she wants except the wheels.

On her current bike (soon to become her "other" bike) she has the Stans 355 ZTR wheels (quiggs can you confirm given you knew the wheels pretty well :)) - she really likes them but it would be a pain in the a$$ to "chop and change" between the two bikes - as such she/we are in the market for a pair of nice wheels.
Our LBS will most likely suggest Roval Control SL wheels, which is fine with me (I have them on my bike and think they are great), but just trying to get an idea of what other options there are.
I am the first to admit I know very little about wheels. A quick google search suggested some possible options:

* Mavic Crossmax SLR
* Fulcrum Red Metal Zero XRP
* Shimano XTR
* another set of Stans 355ZTR (where do you even get them from?)

Requirements wise, looking something light for XC racing.
Budget-wise, I would like to keep it under $1500

Open to suggestions :)

Slightly off topic - is it considered "poor form" to buy separate components from a different store if my LBS is essentially going to be "building the bike"? Its likely everything will be purchased through the LBS (only exception I can think of might be wheels).

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
My standard answer - TWE. Greg builds his wheels up on Stans rims (and can either supply his own branded hubs, or build with supplied hubs). Quality of the work is A1, price is brilliant. You could probably buy 2 sets with that $1500 and come out with change too. (Get a race set and a training set maybe?)

Give him a ring and have a chat - details at www.ridetwe.com.au

(Don't bother emailing, much better on the phone).

Flick has a set that Greg built up for her, she's rapt. Drop her a line and see what she thinks about them.
Given Flick is an absolute machine on the bike I will def. give Greg a yell :)

.stu.

Likes Dirt
If you want to save most of that $1500 for something else, I'm looking to sell my Crossmax SLR ('09). They've never been damaged but probably have some scuffing. They'll come fitted with Racing Ralph 2.25 UST, still with plenty of rubber. (Selling to upgrade to 15mm forks) PM me to discuss price and/or inspection if interested.

I also think the Rovals or hand-built Stans Crest would be an excellent choice but at the end of the day you need to be really thrashing these to notice the little differences at this level.

anyfin

Likes Bikes
we purchased a set of TWE MTB wheels purely on price.

They are excellent wheels and Greg offers excellent service.

We now have 3 set's of TWE road wheels and one of Greg's carbon road frames as well.

I am currently considering another set of MTB wheels for racing.

craign

Likes Dirt
AM Classic/XTR

The AMClassic wheelsets are a good deal compared to other factory built sets ($850 RRP I think), and at <1500g similar set up to ZTR rims on reasonable hubsets. ZTR wheelsets are also similar weight and a fraction cheaper, however the deeper section AM Classic rims seem a little stiffer to me and are my preference.

morrisan

Likes Bikes
Hi I have already built my new set of xc race wheelset with ZTR Alpine rims, DT swiss revolution black spokes and Tune Cannonball and Tune Kong hubs , there are very light and stiff. The best thing was they were about $900. Have a look the images

Attachments

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I'm 65kg riding a XC hardtail.

Hubs Shimano XTR
Rims Stans Alpine
Spokes DT Swiss Revolution
Nipples DT Swiss Black Alloy

Weight 1385g

Price $1250 handbuild by LBS

3500km and still going strong. Tubeless with Stan's tape, they take regular spokes available everywhere if you break them, hubs spin for ever and are easy to service.

I couldn't be happier :)

Firemanmikey

Likes Dirt
TWE all the way

I have a race set of TWE xc wheels that greg built up for my daughter(50kg girl) , the wheels are super light and have not mised a beat... I highly recommend him, all though he is at times hard to get hold of.

steve-waters

Likes Dirt
Yep TWE on my third set - carbon 50mm road, 26" and now 29" MTB wheels all super wheels. Not much time on the 29" but 26" have had a beating and not missed a beat.

As was said earlier grab his number off the website and give him a buzz - he aint the quickest on email.

Make sure you got a few minutes to spare though as the man can talk :)

shan75

Likes Dirt
I have been on Industry Nines for 6 years. Koiled (www.koiled.com.au) are bringing them into Australia now. Heaps of types and options.

I do like the Tune on ZTR wheels as well. Certainly nice and very light for the price.