XC Wheels

krizbike

Likes Dirt
ok, so there are some great sticky threads for tyres, lights, and forks - how about one for XC wheelsets/rims/hubs?

I have a Rhyno Lite on the back (XT hub) and some Araya rim on the front (LX hub). The Rhyno is very heavy so I was thinking of buying a new pair of wheels.
A certain online bikeshop has a set of A-CLASS Vetrax T2 wheels for $280, or a SPINERGY Xyclone Disc Wheelset for $700. Anyone know much about either of these? Or have any other great recommendations in general?
For info, I'm around 57kg, ride a nice light scandium frame (Fastrax), with old Rock Shox SID SL forks and I do mainly cross country riding and racing, which includes the occasional drop-off, jump, etc. I've just got into racing this year and want to do more (currently training up for the Ottway Odyssey).

cheers,
Chris

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I run a set of Spinergy's and they are a great wheelset for the money. You can get them for a good price, less than $700, if you hunt around on the net. They weigh the same as Crossmax SL's and are a strong reliable wheelset. As for the hubs mentioned by the above poster, myself and the other 4 sets I know of (riding buddies/friends) nobody has had a single issue, after a number of years and thousands of k's.
Good luck with the Odyssey and I might see you there!!

LabRat

Likes Dirt
Chain reaction cycles - Build your own!!!
I am really happy with my build - Strong and Light for $650 with free delivery and only took 2 weeks.

DT Swiss XR 4.2 XC rims, 240's Hubs + revolution stainless spokes = Sweet :)

nathanm

Eats Squid
Unfortunately OS is the best way to go.

I got Mavic 717 on XT hubs for around $200 the pair (+ freight if your order isn't high $$$ enough). Not the absolute lightest wheelset but still light enough for XC racing and super reliable.

My mate has XTR's which are absolutley awesome, $650ish at mates rates as they'd been sitting around a while.

There's limitless combinations out there to suit riding styles, for me it's weight vs reliability and finding the right balance.

Tubed vs tubeless is also a consideration.

Bodin

GMBC
DT240/Mavic819

I have 2 pairs of DT240/Mavic819 wheels. Not the lightest wheels in the world, but not heavy while still being absolutely bombproof - neither have gone out of true in over three years of riding in rocky areas. Although, I guess it's only a year and a half of riding each on average, as it's not like I've been riding a quad for the last three years...

If I wanted cheaper, I'd use XT hubs instead of DT240s. XT hubs are the best value/performance combination on the market and have been for many years.

If I wanted lighter and weighed 23kg less like you already do, I'd still use DT240 hubs, but I'd go with Stan's rims.

If I wanted cheap and light, I'd use Stan's rims on XT hubs.

And, yes, I've sorted stickied your thread by adding it to the list in the round up thread. Cheers.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 819s at phantom are a great deal. I don't like proprietry spokes/rims/hubs etc - I true my own wheels and like 32 spokes, plus I don't rate many of the hubs in such wheels.

If I was your weight I would go seriously light - Stans rim ( or the scanduim Sun rim), revos, and xt hubs to reduce cost. Next step up in hubs would be Hope Pro II then DTs. I worry a lot more about durability than weight when it comes to hubs - they are practically non-rotational.

With Hopes and Suns you're looking at around 1470g.

Alternatively Stans new 1200g wheelset for pure racing duties...

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I have just put on a set of Hope Pro 3 hubs with DT Swiss 4.2d rims and DT triple butted spokes. They came in at 1658g for the pair and look very sexy. They cost $650 and chainreactioncyles.com give you free shipping to Aus if your order is over $600. They look incredibly sexy and use straight pull spokes of which they supply spares. They have 24 engagement points and have a freaking loud high quality freehub.

I spent ages looking around and in the end couldn't pass them up in terms of bang for your buck, buy 'em and ride!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20520

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I have just put on a set of Hope Pro 3 hubs with DT Swiss 4.2d rims and DT triple butted spokes. They came in at 1658g for the pair and look very sexy. They cost $650 and chainreactioncyles.com give you free shipping to Aus if your order is over $600. They look incredibly sexy and use straight pull spokes of which they supply spares. They have 24 engagement points and have a freaking loud high quality freehub.

I spent ages looking around and in the end couldn't pass them up in terms of bang for your buck, buy 'em and ride!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20520
$650? Far out- currently with the exchange rate it's closer to $750 :confused:

krizbike

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I love my indestructible Rhyno, but as I said, too heavy.

The other problem is that I am currently running Magura rim brakes, and I would hate to part with them (they work so damn well), so I am looking at non-disc rim/hub combos.
Unfortunately they are getting harder to find these days. :)
The alternative is to buy some new disc brakes at the same time. $$$

cya,
Chris (just went for a great ride North of Sale in Victoria today)

alexb618

Likes Dirt
i saw some non-disc XTR hubs on jenson (i think) a while ago going MEGA cheap but they are long gone

and a mate built some wheels with the vbrake version of the mavic 819 which are really nice

krizbike

Likes Dirt
The 819s at phantom are a great deal. I don't like proprietry spokes/rims/hubs etc - I true my own wheels and like 32 spokes, plus I don't rate many of the hubs in such wheels.

If I was your weight I would go seriously light - Stans rim ( or the scanduim Sun rim), revos, and xt hubs to reduce cost. Next step up in hubs would be Hope Pro II then DTs. I worry a lot more about durability than weight when it comes to hubs - they are practically non-rotational.

With Hopes and Suns you're looking at around 1470g.

Alternatively Stans new 1200g wheelset for pure racing duties...
Cheers - which ones are the Sun scandium rims? I couldn't find info on their website about materials. The SUN Ringle UFO rims look good at only 370g (but someone else mentioned that SUN have a tendency to under-report their weights). Or the new SUN Equalizer 21 which is only 350g.
The UFO rims are only $50 from chain reaction (plus $50 postage!), or $75 from Torpedo7.

Where's a good source for the stans rims? I haven't seen them around.

cya,
Chris

DaGonz

Eats Squid
in Australia, Dirt Works are the distributor, so go ask at your local friendly bike store and I'm sure they'll get them in. Alternatively take advantage of WheelCraft (based out of the Dirt Works factory) and have a set built up locally

HTH

Cheers
Gonz

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers - which ones are the Sun scandium rims? I couldn't find info on their website about materials. The SUN Ringle UFO rims look good at only 370g (but someone else mentioned that SUN have a tendency to under-report their weights). Or the new SUN Equalizer 21 which is only 350g.
The UFO rims are only $50 from chain reaction (plus $50 postage!), or $75 from Torpedo7.

cya,
Chris
Can't remember the scandium models name, they were/are in the DW catalogue though - maybe discontinued now?

Mr Green

Likes Dirt
xtr vs crossmax sl

On the topic of wheels, I am about to get a 08 Anthem 0 and are considering swapping the Crossmax SL's for an XTR wheelset. I have heard the mavic hubs can be unreliable and I like the ease of the old cone bearings of the XTR. Any opinions on what is the better of the two wheel sets?

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
On the topic of wheels, I am about to get a 08 Anthem 0 and are considering swapping the Crossmax SL's for an XTR wheelset. I have heard the mavic hubs can be unreliable and I like the ease of the old cone bearings of the XTR. Any opinions on what is the better of the two wheel sets?
I rode XTR lat year and realized (to late) that i had been riding with a snapped axel (STUPID aluminum!!). I have no idea how this happened- it was either a huge over the bars fall where the bike did a scorpion- or it shipped broke- who knows!- but one thing is for sure- a little movement of the bearings (being loose- not sealed) totally destroyed the smoothness of the hub. I replaced the rear wheel- but will never buy XTR again after this set die.... they just require to much maintenance.

Interestingly- the 2008 XT wheel set weighs just 100g? more than XTR and cost half the price. I'll be buying these next. Don't get me wrong- the XTR set are super light and the rotational weight is nothing- and they put up with alot..... esp because i rode with a broken axel for many many k's!!

As for the Mavic- no idea- but one thing to keep in mind with both sets is that they are not standard builds- and replacement parts are not cheap, or in the case of the XTR- not available.

Price wise an XTR set on ebay costs under a grand. XT set under $500.

Buying in a bike shop you can double this price. The next $500 i have spare will be spent on the XT wheel set- 1660g for $500= happy man!

As for your question... XTR or Mavic.... either set will require maintenance so does it matter?

Last edited:

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
I got Mavic 717 on XT hubs for around $200 the pair (+ freight if your order isn't high $$$ enough). Not the absolute lightest wheelset but still light enough for XC racing and super reliable.
Hey fellas,

I'm looking at getting a lighter wheelset for my Ironhorse MkIII, and have been looking at Mavic 717s, 819s, DT Swiss 5.1ds or DT Swiss 4.2ds. I guess I am what you'd call an 'aggressive' xc/trail rider - i.e. I like to ride quick on the downhills and jump things, while still riding uphill at a decent pace, and weigh about 75kg.

Can anyone offer any experience with the above rims, and any suggestions for their suitability for me?

Thanks, Matt.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
As for your question... XTR or Mavic.... either set will require maintenance so does it matter?
Pretty much. I have a set of 960 series ('06ish) XTR's. Really nice wheel set, stiff, strong, have been pretty reliable. (except when I start breaking spokes but a trip to a wheelsmith has done wonders for them) I don't have a new set, but the above report is the first bad one I've heard about the current Gen XTR's

I also have an 06ish set of Mavic Crossmaxes. Not so reliable intially with cone tension and axle tension problems all over the shot. Was fussy to maintain, and keep maintained. In fact you can roll up behind someone with a set of mavics and get a reasonable idea of what's wrong with their wheel by the sound they're making. A newer mechanic at my LBS seemed to be more cottoned on to what's going on with them and I havn't had any reliability issues since, but you basically have to strip and service them on a fairly regular basis. To top it off, they'd have to be the worst freehub body design ever, with a pressed in bush in the freehub that requires a complete freehub replacement to swap out. I had a complete freehub service the other day, and replaced a few spokes that were bent and walked away with not much change out of $300.

By comparison my DT 240's have done many thousands of km's. Someone got up me a while ago because I hadn't serviced them and they were complaining about the noise. They were easy to strip, clean and regrease (though you need either DT grease or a really light grease) but the innards were as good as new. Probably didn't even need the regrease because they were back to noisy as within a ride. They do chomp through freehub bodies though as they seemed to be made of cheese and you get grooves cut in from your casette. a DT freehub is well and truly inside half the price of a Mavic one though.

Personally, I wouldn't buy another mavic wheel again unless it came with a bike or somesuch. The cost and effort for what I consider "routine maintenance" given the price of the wheel set is just too much.

HTH

Cheers
Gonz

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I don't have a new set, but the above report is the first bad one I've heard about the current Gen XTR's
:) and in all fairness the problem was due to the axle breaking and me not picking it up early enough.... not really the wheel as such (?) Other than that they are strong, light, flex free and very fast.

Lets hope the replacement is trouble free- and i'll be sure to check it more often :) On a positive note- i now have a few spares incase i break a spoke :D

But once again- less than $500 for the 08 XT XC set at 1660g is a steal!