XO crank confusion

dh1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

So I haven't quite caught up with all the new semi-standards.
I am after a sram xo (or similar carbon) crankset 170mm long, bb to suit 68/73 threaded shell for 1x10 speed operation. Also preferably in black.
The confusion I have is the fact that looking online there are so many variants, what is compatible with 10sp and isn't and they aren't sold as a complete set, BB and chain ring. What actually makes the cranks 7, 9, 10 and 11 speed compatible.
JTmofo helped me out with some information earlier this morning, thank you again, but am having trouble picking out exactly what it is that I want.

Thanks for any help or information you can provide me.

Cheers,

Zeb.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
For threaded BB you want the GXP version (SRAM also produce a BB30 option for many of their cranks - these won't work for you). 8, 9 etc-sp. compatibility is primarily chainring thickness, as chains get progressively narrower as another gear is added. There's enough tolerance that you can go a step either way out of spec, but more is not ideal; e.g 11-sp. chain on a 9-sp. ring is probably too snug a fit, so the chain is unlikely to mesh properly, or if it does it'll be too firm & hang up on the ring causing chain suck. Going the other way & running a wider chain is going to be a looser fit, and especially with N/W rings, may not hang on as well as they're designed to.

dh1

Likes Dirt
What current set up do you currently have?
Currently running a 1x10 setup with a race 34t nw chain ring. Are the sram xo rings nw? Mofo educated me earlier that the xo cranks have a different bcd than the general standard so I cant just putmy Raceface nw on their correct?

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
Nope, XO have 94bcd I recall, but they share the nw pattern. One other thing you can do too as well is get rid of the spider and have a direct mount chainring. What frame and cranks are you currently running?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Currently running a 1x10 setup with a race 34t nw chain ring. Are the sram xo rings nw? Mofo educated me earlier that the xo cranks have a different bcd than the general standard so I cant just putmy Raceface nw on their correct?
XO rings are not NW, XO1 are. The spiders come in 120 (most common) 104(not as common) and I think there may even be a 96 bcd, but not 100% on that one. The BCD should be printed on the silver part of the big ring. Also the spider is removable, so you can switch to a different bcd if you can find the spider for it, or you can run a direct mount NW ring without the spider. If the BCD on the RF ring and spider match, then you can run the ring, RF direct mount rings are not compatible with sram direct mount cranks, works components and wolf tooth make sram compatible direct mount NW rings.

Clear as mud?

Good ;)

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
What is the difference between sram and truvativ xo? Are the spiders on that set removable so you run a direct mount ring?
Sram is the parent company, truvative = sram = avid = rock shox = something else. That set is 120 bcd, you should be able to get a 34t NW to fit, but any smaller and you'll need to go direct mount. Personally I'd go DM, and have on 2 sets of x9, much cleaner look and better chainline. See my last post for the rest :thumb:

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
XO rings are not NW. The spiders come in 120 (most common) 104(not as common) and I think there may even be a 96 bcd, but not 100% on that one. The BCD should be printed on the silver part of the big ring. Also the spider is removable, so you can switch to a different bcd if you can find the spider for it, or you can run a direct mount NW ring without the spider. If the BCD on the RF ring and spider match, then you can run the ring, RF direct mount rings are not compatible with sram direct mount cranks, works components and wolf tooth make sram compatible direct mount NW rings.

Clear as mud?

Good ;)
So essentially I can buy any of the different variant xo cranks, remove the spider and run a direct mount nw ring and just ensure that I get the gxp version BB and cranks. For example;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sram-x01-11-speed-chainset/rp-prod122747

They are going to go on a new banshee spitfire

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
God, I'm thinking of XO1 Buy whatever XO cranks you need to suit your frame(bb30 or gxp) and run a spiderless 'ring. I think thats the simplest

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
So essentially I can buy any of the different variant xo cranks, remove the spider and run a direct mount nw ring and just ensure that I get the gxp version BB and cranks. For example;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sram-x01-11-speed-chainset/rp-prod122747

They are going to go on a new banshee spitfire
Going on price alone, if'n you're going the DM route, I'd get the XO - $250, GXP BB - $35 and Works Components DM NW - $85. Still cheaper than the XO1 alone.

I'm a little biased, but if you want to go a little cheaper, and not carbon hungry, X9 cranks are the go, still have the removable spider, only a small weight penalty, but a shit tone stronger and more reliable. I've had XO and XX sets of cranks fail catastrophically from only small strikes. The XX set lost the pedal thread insert from just cruising between trails.
These RF direct mount rings seem like they are compatible with the SRAM cranks?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ount-sram-narrow-wide-chainring/rp-prod125725
Well there you go. I thought they would stick with pushing cinch pattern only. That's a refreshingly bipartisan approach.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
This thread has me more confused than I know I should be!!

I'll try amalgamate all this information.
Threaded bb will need GXP.

SRAM cranks that will accept DM ring
XX1
X01
X1 (1400 series does,1000 doesnt)
X9
X0
These all have a removable spider but with different bcd. X0 spider is a dual or triple ring spider and these spiders cannot be used 1x.
Carbon cranks spiders are not interchangeable with alloy spiders as the crank arms arm different widths.

Cranks that have "fixed" mounts
XX
X7 or below

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
By "fix mount" do you mean spider?
Computer says "yes"

You can use the s1400 spiders with NW 1x, I have with a set of X9 and a BlackSpire ring. However chainline is not as good as DM, I used a bb spacer to fiddle and get it running smoothly. The BCD will impact on the size of ring you can fit if using 32t and lower, 104 is required.