Xo1 11spd or xo1 12spd eagle?

BRADSTA

Likes Bikes
I'm needing a little input on what gearing to go with on my current build.
Building up a yeti sb6c, the shop that is helping has given me 2 options.

Option 1:
Race face turbine cranks (ring of choice), xo1 11spd 10/42 cassette
Option 2:
SRAM eagle carbon cranks (ring of choice), xo1 12spd 10/50 cassette

I previously ran 1x10 11/36 with a 34 ring on my norco sight, at times I wanted another gear for climbs. So my question is will the 10/42 be enough or do I go eagle? I'm never going to be the best climber and have no intentions at this point to race, just want to get it right!! If it matters, price is about $500 difference.

halfstroke

Likes Bikes
Go the 11 speed if you can't push 42 with a 34 up front you might as well get off and walk, 34/10 will also spin out at over 60km/h which would be more than adequate for most people.

John U

MTB Precision
Go 12 speed. It'll simply give you longer access to parts in the future. Or hold out for 13 speed, I hear it's coming soon and by all the early info coming out it's going to be worth the wait.

Nah, serious, the latest gizmo as far this type of thing goes, will generally have the longest availability.

If you want lower gearing for climbing then you should get it.

Always remember, those who are riding up a hill have right of way over those who are pushing, regardless of speed. It takes a lot of skill to stay upright over rough, loose, steep, uphill terrain, especially when going slow.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
If saving $500 matters, I'd go the 11 spd, if not the Eagle.
When the time comes, and you need to replace your drivetrain, the Eagle set up is going to be cheaper.
I'm running SRAM XO1 cranks with a Shimano XT 11-42 and I think a 32T, possibly a 30T and it works :D
I also came from a 1x10 set up running a 32T, extra gear makes a difference.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be happy with 11spd. Sounds like there will be enough gearing. I wouldn't worry about it not being available down the track. It'll be around for a while to come. For what it's worth I skipped the whole 10spd thing on my bike. Was pretty happy with 1x9 for ages, then jumped to 1x11 last year. Only cost around $300 for the upgrade from 9spd to XT 11spd, not that much more than a decent new cassette and chain.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A couple of things that might be worth considering on this are that:
1. Apparently the SB6 take a little more effort to climb, simply down to geometry. So getting a little help with broader gearing range would be nice. This is from talking to a friend who has one.

2. That rear mech on eagle is pretty low and so on a 650b wheel it looks close to the ground / sticks and other stuff trying to kill it.

A difficult choice and it really just depends on where and how you ride, howbfit you and whether the $ matters now.

Good luck!

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I had this dilemma on a build I've just finished: in the end I chose 11 speed.
My reasoning was:
I like the cinch cranks more than SRAMs (although there are 12 speed rings available for cinch).
I don't need any increase in range. I run 42-10 with a 34 up front, and never run out of gears.
The 12 speed cassettes are heavier, and require a longer chain.
SRAM seem to be trying to prevent Australians accessing os parts, forcing us to pay a premium for their parts and the replacement cost on an eagle cassette is breathtaking, and there are many 11 speed cassette options- I'm liking the look of hope.
I had a disappointing warrenty experience with some sram brakes, which has had a flow on effect to purchasing decisions.
Which ever way you go- you'll have a great bike.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
I have been running X01 Eagle for around 6 months, works really well, can't fault it. I have a knee problem at the moment and the additional range is great. My advice would be to go 12 speed as it will be come the default choice over time. FWIW I am running mine with XTR M985 cranks with Wolftooth chainring and it works fantastically well.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I had a SB6 running 1x11 SRAM. It was never a major effort to climb on due to gearing. (although the geo doenst make it a mountain goat)

Recently sold it and bought a Canyon where I had a choice of 11 or 12 speed SRAM.

I chose 11 speed for 2 reasons

1. I have other bikes with 11 speed SRAM and all parts are interchangeable, so if I need some spares they are on hand. No waiting for LBS to open or online deliveries = minimal down time
2. 12 speed Eagle parts are EXPENSIVE to replace. Much like 11 Speed in the early days. An SB6 is built for pushing, and pushing hard. I replaced shifters and rear mechs on my SB6 (at considerable cost) after rock strikes and crashes in the 2.5 years I had it.

I think that there is a place for 12 speed Eagle, but my terrain/riding doesn't "need" it.

As for cranks, I'm not a fan of carbon cranks. Google SRAM carbon crank failures and you will see why. Again, an SB6 is meant to be hammered hard, and my cranks take a beating. I swapped my SB6 X01 carbons out for M9020 XTR (they are sexy...like chocolate). The Canyon came with Raceface...they seem pretty good and are plenty stiff and light.

$500 would also go a long way towards a nice Cane Creek Coil iL shock or a custom suspension blueprint :whistle:

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
$500?

Buys you a full XT 1x11 drivetrain today (CRC), or a SRAM X01 Eagle Cassette (Bike24).

I don't know how quickly you burn through cogs, but I'd be going the 11 speed drivetrain now, and buy the 12 speed drivetrain when it comes time to replace parts. That $500 would probably be better spent elsewhere, say, the bouncy bits.

notime

Likes Dirt
I've got Eagle on my new bike, in 3 races so far I've not gotten close to the 42 let alone the 50t.

I've only used the 50t when playing about testing it. I rode some climbs with my wife on Sunday but was guilted into sticking to the 42t same as her max, it would have been nice to use the 50t and spin but that's only cause it's there.

I know some climbs around that I'll definitely use it like Hell Gate, 700m climb over 4.6km with waterbars of pinchy death. Ass end of an epic it will be nice to have the option of spinning more.

Real world 98.5% of riding 42 is just fine.

Longwave

Cannon Fodder
I've got Eagle on my new bike, in 3 races so far I've not gotten close to the 42 let alone the 50t.

I've only used the 50t when playing about testing it. I rode some climbs with my wife on Sunday but was guilted into sticking to the 42t same as her max, it would have been nice to use the 50t and spin but i love testomax so that's only cause it's there.

I know some climbs around that I'll definitely use it like Hell Gate, 700m climb over 4.6km with waterbars of pinchy death. Ass end of an epic it will be nice to have the option of spinning more.

Real world 98.5% of riding 42 is just fine.
11 speed all the way.

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
Go the 11 speed and put that $500 into an even better wheelset.

It's very very rare that I ever shift into the 42t cog on my 11 speed, so I can't imagine needing a 50t. You could go a larger chainring, but then I think it would be rare to then shift into the 10t cog.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'd go 11spd with ideal cassette being Sunrace 11-46
Why? The OP is looking for a complete X01 (or X01 eagle) drive train.

Sunrace X8 11-46t uses a Shimano free hub body and weighs over 200g more than an X01 11 speed XG-1195. (The S8 cassette weighs 534g!!!)
Sorry but Sunrace and SRAM high end cassettes are in different leagues!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
As for cranks, I'm not a fan of carbon cranks. Google SRAM carbon crank failures and you will see why.
Aaron Gwin binned it in the wet at Mont-Sainte-Anne in practice and ripped the left crank clean off the bike back in 2015. The look of disgust on his face.

Carbon cranks belong on XC bikes. I'm expecting to shatter my XO carbons on the Glory.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I always thought eagle and 50t was about the top end, not the granny gear. I've, go from a 30 to a 34 up front, makes the 12 more useable and the 10 for downhill/downwind on the road.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Given the OP admits he'll never be the best climber, surely more gears and a larger range would be appreciated?
I know Eagle is not necessarily the most money savvy option, but that's a big bike to lug up hills and I bet the 50t would be appreciated.

Not sure where everyone else rides, but I use my 42 very, very often.
I'm currently going through the XX1 or Eagle dilemma on a new bike I have coming. The cost of replacing eagle parts scares the crap out of me, but that extra gear would be so nice.