XT/ Deore

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I need a derailleur in a hurry. LBS didnt have an XT to replace mine, only Deore. I am also keen to save some money as I have some major repairs in store. What is the difference in performance? XT feels cleaner, than my old bike, but I am not sure if that was about going from something a bit worn out to something new. What would I be getting for twice the price in the XT?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I assume you're talk about a rear derailleur? Maybe try another bike shop for the derailleur and get the one that's working on your bike to fit it, if they can't supply it. TBSM can usually ship within 24-48hrs to your door.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Better materials. You'll be getting a ceramic bushing and bearing in the jockey wheels, less weight, and probably a low friction treatment on the pins. If you're desperate the Deore will do just fine. It will probably feel reasonable, but not quite as crisp, and it will probably degrade in performance a lot quicker than the XT.

Depending how much you ride and upgrade parts, this may not matter.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Sorry, it's the front.

Yes, long rides, enduro.

Quite happy to retire this to the commuter in the not too distant future.

Thanks

Last edited:

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I just put an XT on the front, cant really notice the difference to the Deore.

Alot of bikes come with XT rear and only lx or Deore on the front, Im told it makes little difference on the font.

I got mine on ebay for $27 + $15 postage. Didnt seem to expensive and took me about 4 minutes to fit myself. Hurry and you can get this one for $30 something (same seller).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SHIMANO-...ptZAU_Sport_Cycling_Parts?hash=item3efcc4f375

Raf
Top work Raf. All sorted.

That said, waiting around for the auction to finished meant that I missed Bunnings for some cable cutters. I was 2m from the door when an authoritative person in a green apron barked 'we're closed' and pressed the button on the wall shutting those big glass doors abruptly in my face. Not at all like the cheery folks in the Ad who would have said something nice to make me feel all warm about letting them get home on time to their loved ones and feel no ill-will about coming back in the morning. But I will be back, theirs are half the price of the big bike tool brands. I have shallow pockets and little shame when it comes to keeping my bike going.