XT Di2 Discussion Thread

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
So I'm curious - how long until there are fully automatic bike gearboxes? It doesn't seem like a big step from where we're at tbh. There are already power meter pedals out there - it doesn't seem like too much of a jump to integrate them into a Di2 system. Set your own power threshold, and the system automatically chooses the right gear for you. The only stuff you'll have on your handlebars are the brakes and dropper lever. Choose your line, pedal, and the system does the rest of it for you. Can't be that far away?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm curious - how long until there are fully automatic bike gearboxes? It doesn't seem like a big step from where we're at tbh. There are already power meter pedals out there - it doesn't seem like too much of a jump to integrate them into a Di2 system. Set your own power threshold, and the system automatically chooses the right gear for you. The only stuff you'll have on your handlebars are the brakes and dropper lever. Choose your line, pedal, and the system does the rest of it for you. Can't be that far away?
It's called Bioshift...
Good old DCRainmaker...

[video=youtube_share;o-a5zUH_r_U]https://youtu.be/o-a5zUH_r_U[/video]

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
It's called Bioshift...
Good old DCRainmaker...
Well there you go. Interesting that it's not being driven by any of the big companies at this stage. Road first is kinda a given - the software will have to work way harder to deal with MTB applications.

I give it 4 years, then there'll be a Shimano / SRAM offering with automatic gears available.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Where is this at? I'll buy it right now for that much.
I don't think it exists. At least not now. I've got a delivery about to arrive including Chain / RD / Cassette / Shifter / Chainring to convert to an XT 1x11 setup. ~$400 from Pushy's. Don't think I could have done much better domestically or internationally.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
And with the new battery and junction box you can upgrade your Di2 as well to the new syncro + bluetooth.....sweet
Not as far as I'm aware... Synchro is a part of the derailleur programming, not just the junction box, so you need appropriate derailleurs to get synchro, and I don't believe it's available as a backward-compatible update. Not yet anyway.

What you can do with a new junction box or "in-line" wireless box is connect wirelessly to the E-Tube software to do updates & setup tweaks, rather than having to plug into a computer to do it, which is handy if you do have a Synchro-compatible setup, you can reprogramme shift maps at the trailside if you want to.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So I'm curious - how long until there are fully automatic bike gearboxes?
Shimano have done fully auto stuff on their commuter stuff for a while, but we've never really had it get a foothold here; we just don't have the same acceptance of transport cycling here as else elsewhere in the world, we're much more sport-oriented, even those who have no intention of any kind of competition.

The technology is probably there to do it, but I suspect it's not really seen as suitable for a performance-oriented bike, especially off-road. I for one don't like the idea of the bike deciding I need to change gear when I'm giving it a kick to clear an obstacle and want to stay in the gear I'm in.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Torpedo7 had them at $290 minus cranks.

#hashtag
'Had them' is the operative phrase. Right now, they don't even have an 11-42 cassette available, and they have all of 30 chainrings to offer. They must have been making a loss on that deal.

No, I'm not bitter that I missed it at all!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I can see the application for road, especially TT and Tri, but mtb not so much.Id be more than happy with syncroshift,but full auto no

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
'Had them' is the operative phrase. Right now, they don't even have an 11-42 cassette available, and they have all of 30 chainrings to offer. They must have been making a loss on that deal.

No, I'm not bitter that I missed it at all!
Meh, sell a kidney and go Eagle.

#hashtag

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Shimano have done fully auto stuff on their commuter stuff for a while, but we've never really had it get a foothold here; we just don't have the same acceptance of transport cycling here as else elsewhere in the world, we're much more sport-oriented, even those who have no intention of any kind of competition.
I know this isn't the conversation you're trying to have, but I must say that it is more a case of transport cycling being poorly catered for in the majority of this country. The only people who will put up with this standard of cycling infrastructure are the committed "sports cyclists" everyone else just accepts that it's too hard and hop in the Rav4. It's not that we're sports orientated, its just the only type of cycling that is currently workable.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Not as far as I'm aware... Synchro is a part of the derailleur programming, not just the junction box, so you need appropriate derailleurs to get synchro, and I don't believe it's available as a backward-compatible update. Not yet anyway.

What you can do with a new junction box or "in-line" wireless box is connect wirelessly to the E-Tube software to do updates & setup tweaks, rather than having to plug into a computer to do it, which is handy if you do have a Synchro-compatible setup, you can reprogramme shift maps at the trailside if you want to.
All the web reporting is saying otherwise....but then again there was a bunch that they got wrong about the XT Di2 as well.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I was at the new product launch today, and the question came up. They've been playing around with it and it kinda works, and they may release an update to make it work, but at present Synchro is not backward compatible with older road derailleurs. What I forgot to ask is if the new "Semi-Synchro" in Dura-Ace will apply to XT & XTR. Semi still requires the second shifter to manually change the front derailleur, but it automatically takes care of the corrective shifts at the back to reduce the ratio jump.

The wireless updatability is definitely backward compatible with an appropriate junction or inline wireless unit and new internal battery, or battery mount for the external type.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think it exists. At least not now. I've got a delivery about to arrive including Chain / RD / Cassette / Shifter / Chainring to convert to an XT 1x11 setup. ~$400 from Pushy's. Don't think I could have done much better domestically or internationally.
$350~ at CRC I think. An extra fin for buying locally is good though!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I was at the new product launch today, and the question came up. They've been playing around with it and it kinda works, and they may release an update to make it work, but at present Synchro is not backward compatible with older road derailleurs. What I forgot to ask is if the new "Semi-Synchro" in Dura-Ace will apply to XT & XTR. Semi still requires the second shifter to manually change the front derailleur, but it automatically takes care of the corrective shifts at the back to reduce the ratio jump.

The wireless updatability is definitely backward compatible with an appropriate junction or inline wireless unit and new internal battery, or battery mount for the external type.
I went back and checked where I read it the first time (bikerumor, cyclingnews and DCrainmaker) and they all have removed the reference to being able to upgrade Ui2.....