XT rear derailleur/gears keep skipping

Mr DOHC

Likes Bikes
So I seem to have a different issue with my rear derailleur again.
When I pedal with any force it keeps skipping and chunking my gears. But not changing gears.
I'm also having an issue where I sometimes change up or down a gear and it doesn't shift, usually in the middle gears.

The chain is staying tight as I seem to have fixed the clutch issue...for now

The bike is a 2014 Trance 1

If it's a bent derailleur or hanger, would a new derailleur come with a hanger?

noel0409

Likes Bikes
derailleur

Howdy
If your derailleur is working properly and is aligned correctly the most likely cause of your dramas is the chain and casette are stuffed, I had similar goin on with one of my bikes and eventually fixed it by replacing both, tried a new chain first but still the same so replaced the cassette also and fixed it.
Good luck with it

camoshop

Banned
How long have you had it for? My 2014 anthem did that on the xt mech, cable stretches a bit after a few long rides just needed a adjustment and it was fine.

Mr DOHC

Likes Bikes
If I have the chain on the biggest front and biggest rear. Should the cassette gear and both jockey wheels line up perfectly vertically?

I'm not a fan of just replacing shit for no reason, especially if it won't definitely fix it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In theory they should, but that gear combination puts a shitload of offline tension on the derailleur which tends to pull the lower jockey wheel outward. Avoid that combination as much as possible!

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Potentially just worn out chain and/or cassette. Chain stretch can be checked easily with a tool which costs a couple of dollars and is available from all LBS’ (online or bricks and mortar). Have a look at the cassette to see if the teeth look worn, especially in the gears you use the most.

If you have been riding the same chain / cassette for some time then this is a potential cause of the issue.

Mr DOHC

Likes Bikes
In theory they should, but that gear combination puts a shitload of offline tension on the derailleur which tends to pull the lower jockey wheel outward. Avoid that combination as much as possible!
i'll check tonight and take a bunch of pics.

Potentially just worn out chain and/or cassette. Chain stretch can be checked easily with a tool which costs a couple of dollars and is available from all LBS’ (online or bricks and mortar). Have a look at the cassette to see if the teeth look worn, especially in the gears you use the most.

If you have been riding the same chain / cassette for some time then this is a potential cause of the issue.
i have had the bike for about 2 months and it was a Giant Demo bike before that. so i don't really know.

If i take pics of the cassette can someone tell me if it stuffed or not?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I find it very hard to believe that you've done a chain or cassette unless you've done a million kms in 2 months? This is a 14 bike! I'd go with cable stretch first. Try as mentioned, readjusting the cable. Then fine tune your gears with the adjuster at the shifter.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Start with the basics. loosen the cable off at the derailleur and screw all the cable adjusters in to minimum position and check the alignment with the derailleur and the bottom cog (or top sprocket if it is top down), adjust the H screw until they line up neatly. Push the derailleur by hand to make sure it is smooth and not catching anywhere. Then refit the cable and tighten it with the adjusters until it just wants to skip from the smallest cog to the next (it will make a different noise) then back it off a little, maybe half a turn on the adjuster. Change into the next gear and it should shift neatly and smoothly. If it doesn't or wants to jump two gears then either tighten or loosen the adjuster until the shifter and derailleur do what they are supposed to do. Then do this one by one until you get to the biggest cog. Make sure the derailleur aligns properly and use the L screw if necessary. Then do the reverse dropping one gear at a time. The cable should not be slack anywhere but shouldn't be so tight that it doesn't drop to the smallest cog.

If you still have problems you could have an issue at either end or the cable sticking, if it is not shifting down smoothly and it is tight to pull into a lower gear I would look at pulling the shifter inner out and making sure it is clean and lubed in the outer.

This can also be related to a bent hanger, It doesn't take much to bend these, but without the right tool this is hard to diagnose, your LBS will be able to easily check this.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Start with the basics. loosen the cable off at the derailleur and screw all the cable adjusters in to minimum position and check the alignment with the derailleur and the bottom cog (or top sprocket if it is top down), adjust the H screw until they line up neatly. Push the derailleur by hand to make sure it is smooth and not catching anywhere. Then refit the cable and tighten it with the adjusters until it just wants to skip from the smallest cog to the next (it will make a different noise) then back it off a little, maybe half a turn on the adjuster. Change into the next gear and it should shift neatly and smoothly. If it doesn't or wants to jump two gears then either tighten or loosen the adjuster until the shifter and derailleur do what they are supposed to do. Then do this one by one until you get to the biggest cog. Make sure the derailleur aligns properly and use the L screw if necessary. Then do the reverse dropping one gear at a time. The cable should not be slack anywhere but shouldn't be so tight that it doesn't drop to the smallest cog.

If you still have problems you could have an issue at either end or the cable sticking, if it is not shifting down smoothly and it is tight to pull into a lower gear I would look at pulling the shifter inner out and making sure it is clean and lubed in the outer.

Start here before the LBS.

Minlak

custom titis
As stated set the Derailleur up as if it was new I used this guide and mine worked out perfect.

[video=youtube;UH43OCmArUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw[/video]

Just as an aside.... They gears don't love being used crossed up. What I mean by that (and it is more of an issue on 3x10 setups than 2 x 10) is where you are on the big cog going to the other big sprocket. It creates a lot of stress as the components are the furtherest out of alignment. The same applies with the little cog going to the littlest sprocket. It will do it but as the drivetrain wears it will become more of an issue.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One more thing to check quickly:

With the bike in a stand or up against a wall, turn the cranks backwards a few times and watch if the chain runs smoothly through the drivetrain. If there's a point where it skips or gets stuck, check for a stiff link in that area (often the link will bend and stay bent). If this works fine, go back to derailleur tuning.

Mr DOHC

Likes Bikes
i'm going to pick up a spare hanger today, going to take a few pics of the derailleur to see if its all off center etc.
The pull my hanger off and see if it bent.

i have adjusted the cable a heap, twice now i have found it very loose when in the smallest gear

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm going to pick up a spare hanger today, going to take a few pics of the derailleur to see if its all off center etc.
The pull my hanger off and see if it bent.

i have adjusted the cable a heap, twice now i have found it very loose when in the smallest gear
Cable can be loose when using the smallest gear, as your derailleur is most likely on it's limits (set by the limit screws). Don't stress about this.
If it was a demo it is possible the cassette is stuffed, but your symptoms sound more like misalignment to me.

You won't be able to 'see' if the hanger is bent, but having a spare isn't a bad idea (your hanger is about 40mm long, so even a 0.25mm deflection on the hanger - which will not be noticeable to the naked eye - is about 1mm at the bottom of the cage). If you change it and it doesn't fix it, you have ruled something out, and you have a spare.
The vid above is good - watch it twice...
The other trick I use, old school but it works - is to use a rubber band / Velcro strap / hair band on the lever to drag the rear brake so it spins about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, this places load on the gears so you get a better handle on where things are going wrong.

Al..

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
twice now i have found it very loose when in the smallest gear
This is not right, it should be finger tight or just slightly loose, but not very loose. Are you attaching the cable when the chain is in the highest (smallest) gear and the shifter is released all the way to the same highest gear?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Quick question for the n00bites among us - what's the difference in derailleur cage lengths for?