XT shadow with Tiagra STI

shakes

Likes Dirt
I'm sure it will work fine together, some confirmation from someone would be nice though. Have heard a whisper that the STI doesnt play nicely with the shadow stuff...

9speed XT shadow M772 RD with some older 9spd tiagra STI (4400? maybe) shifters on an 11-32 SLX cassette

conversely same shifter with a slx FD on a mtb triple.

Last edited:

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
Shakes, I ran the XT shadow with Ultegra 9sp STIs on a red and white bike for a while, it works fine. Just remember to put an inline barrel adjuster in there somewhere, as there isn't one on the road shifters or the Shadow derailleurs.

Good luck,

Charlie

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
I had the opposite experience tried to use xtr 980 rear derailluer with ultegra 10 speed sti and could only get about 6 gears, some of them twice.

shakes

Likes Dirt
so turns out the XT shadow and Tiagra works great together.

Tiagra and XT front mech on SLX not so much. Is my issue I'm running mtb crankset, or an mtb derailuer? or a combo of both?

If anyone has the chainring spacings of a road triple crankset they could post up that would be awesome, I cant find much info on it anywhere.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
so turns out the XT shadow and Tiagra works great together.

Tiagra and XT front mech on SLX not so much. Is my issue I'm running mtb crankset, or an mtb derailuer? or a combo of both?

If anyone has the chainring spacings of a road triple crankset they could post up that would be awesome, I cant find much info on it anywhere.
You may have to use a road triple derailleur to get this right. I've never tried an mtb F derailleur with a brifter.

Charlie

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, you need a road front derrailleur. I like the feel of shimano shifting better, but sram runs all the same indexing which makes life so much easier.

redbruce

Eats Squid
You may have to use a road triple derailleur to get this right. I've never tried an mtb F derailleur with a brifter.

Charlie
From my own experience, mtb front mechs worked with my bar end shifters because it was a friction set up. When I upgraded the bike to STI brifters it didnt index and had to go to a Shimano 105 triple FD.

From Sheldon Brown:
"The ratio of cable movement to derailer movement differs with Shimano's "road " vs. "MTB " front derailers. This can cause indexing problems if you use a "road" front derailer with upright handlebars or a "MTB" front derailer with drop handlebars. This is a concern if you are running an indexed front shifter, such as Shimano STI or RapidFire shifters."

http://sheldonbrown.com/front-derailers.html