Xtc in parts, worth doing?

safreek

Hi guys, a mate is looking at this, he hopes with my help (ha ha) that he can get a decent ride for cheap. It's a giant xtc 29r in bits. Seems to be missing brakes and the axle for the forks. Worth $150-200. I know nothing about 29rs but it seems cheap compared to up and running bikes$_20 (32).JPG$_20 (31).JPG
$_20 (30).JPG
Cheers for any help

John U

MTB Precision
Ages ago I bought a set of gear that needed the following added
Shifters, derailleurs, brakes, grips, cranks, pedals, cassette, chain.

It looked like an almost complete bike. Cost me $1200 to finish it off.

Your mates set up looks a lot closer to complete, and at a starting point of $200 I'd say it's a well worthwhile project.

Maybe just check how hard that axle is to get. It may be impossible to find which could result in replacing the forks.

Last edited:

safreek

Ages ago I bought a set of gear that needed the following added
Shifters, derailleurs, brakes, grips, cranks, pedals, cassette, chain.

It looked like an almost complete bike. Cost me $1200 to finish it off.

Your mates set up looks a lot closer to complete, and at a starting point of $200 I'd say it's a well worthwhile project.

Maybe just check how hard that axle is to get. It may be impossible to find which could result in replacing the forks.
Thanks mate, the axle was the bit that worried me as well. I have no idea if different marzocchi axles fit all forks or if specific ones are needed. Oh and it is 15mm apparently

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I say go for it, you'll be able to dig up an axle somewhere, and CRC had some stupid pricing on brakes with end of year bargains when I looked recently.

Just make sure the frame is the right size for whoever is going to be riding it.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm always sceptical when a bike so close to complete is sold as parts. What happened, what went wrong. The same things preventing it being rebuilt might come back to bite your friend. I def wouldn't assume it's just brakes and axle without close examination. Not sure from pics but where's the rear derailleur hanger and why isn't the der attached? How's the drivetrain, are the wheels dead etc, rear axle gone AWOL too? Discs look fcked as well. Yeah I dislike basket case projects, it might work out for you, but I wouldn't bet on it.

safreek

Cheers for that, hadn't even noticed the lack of hanger ect. May have a look at it properly in the flesh.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Also check if the chain is stretched, chain rings and cassette might be cactus. Others here might know but that headset might be a Giant propriety size also.

John U

MTB Precision
Stretched chain is worth checking but it will only be an issue if really stretched and effecting shifting. All the stuff people have listed is worth checking out but the starting price is very cheap.

The situation where I bought the almost complete bike, the fella poached pieces for another rig. Maybe ask the current owner a few questions.

$200 odd for these parts, plus another $200 for brakes, plus giving a bit of room to move on the axle if it's available, $100. $500 for a bike if it comes together would be a reasonable deal, if your mate is willing to wear some risk.

Do some research.

defy1

Likes Bikes
Personally would get the frame and wheels professionally checked out, but if all ok, seems like a good little project.