XTR 10 speed shifters with adjustment?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I can't seem to find any 10 speed shifters that have the in/out adjustment that my 9 speed XTR shifters have. Did they ever have this or did Shimano ditch the idea when they went to 10 speed?

See the pic below how the shifter pods can slide in and out on the brackets:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
My I spec Xt shifter me have it too.
Oh...and I love the alloy shift levers of the 9 sp Xtr shifters.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Strange. The ones I see online for sale all seem to be like this:

It looks like some of the I-Spec ones have the adjustment, but I'm not running Shimano brakes so I-Spec is of no use to me.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
That's precisely why. The adjustment is only to position the shifters relative to the brake levers with Ispec mounting. They are effectively joined so need some adjustability. Bar mount can be moved wherever you like so no need for the adjustment.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I really like the adjustment on the 9 speed versions and they are not I-spec. It means you can run them inboard or outboard of your brakes and get them right where you want them depending on the width of the brake clamp.

Did they ever make non I-spec versions that have adjustment like my 9 speed ones? Silentbutdeadly - have you got a part # for your 10 speed non-ispec mount version?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I reckon there was a mid-model change that dropped the lateral adjustment on the non-i-spec shifters. The 2012 product guide (which I just looked at) shows the adjustment on both types, but I suspect when i-spec-B was introduced around 2013 the separate clamps got modified to take that adjustment out.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Silentbutdeadly - have you got a part # for your 10 speed non-ispec mount version?
Can't tell you for sure. There are/were two different models (SL-M980 and SL-M980-A). The former RH version has a part no. Y6T798010 while the latter is Y6T798070.

And the SL-M980 does (according to the Shimano manuals) have the adjustable clamp cover http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-SL-M980-3083.pdf while the SL-M980A doesn't http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-SL-M980-A-3310A.pdf

I bought mine last year from Wiggle and the order data doesn't give me a part no (but it gives me the same photo as the one you posted)...so until I see the bike I can't tell you for sure.

All that said...regardless of the adjustment capacity on either clamp or ispec version...I haven't used it. The ispec version is shoved hard into one end of the range on the Twinzer, pretty much as it came, to get 1 finger braking but easy thumb access to the shifter. The clamp version I didn't adjust laterally either - except on the bar and the shifter is mounted between the grip and brake lever (again so I can get 1 finger brake lever actuation).

So you might be worrying about a non-problem?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Thanks so much for the part numbers.

So you might be worrying about a non-problem?
Possibly, but my bars are not wide, so I have limited room before the taper begins. I run my shifter clamps in-board of the brake levers and then use the adjuster to slide the pods outwards.

I wonder if I couldn't use my slotted 9 speed XTR clamps with the 10 speed shifter pods? Probably too much to ask based on previous experience with Shimano changing things simply for the sake of change...