XTR and SRAM

josh123

Likes Dirt
I'm considering gettin' a new XTR rear derraileur and have SRAM X-7 shifters, would the shifters be compatible with the XTR derraileur?
Would it be worth getting new shifters aswell, does it make any difference in the shifting efficiency?

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no, they are not compatible. You can get sram rocket or attack triggers that will work with shimano's 2:1 ratio

bhipsley

Likes Dirt
sram to shimano on the rear... NOPE

sram to shimano on the front... YEP (i ran sram x0 shifta's to shimano deore front derraileur for about 2 days...)

bhipsley

Likes Dirt
bighitter said:
You can get sram rocket or attack triggers that will work with shimano's 2:1 ratio
Im pretty sure we know you can get compatible ones, not his x7's tho

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously he doesnt, seeing as he wants to run X7's with XTR which arent compatible

learn to read fuck stick

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
bighitter, you are wrong, step down. its ok.

let's clarify. you have X-7, you are unable to use these with a XTR rear derialluer. you need to buy new shifters if you want to use a shimano rear derailluer, whether they be XT, XTR or sram attack/rocket.

why the shift (excuse the pun :p ) to XTR? my advice would be to get a rear X-9 derailluer instead, saves you buying a new shifter and is still a great upgrade, and it keeps the bike nice and shimano free.

i use XTR myself, yet if i could afford to i'd swap over to SRAM, after having ridden bikes with sram.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Im not aware of the prices on the rocket/attack shifters but wouldn't it be cheaper to get the attack/rocket shifters than a X9 deralleur? And i good advantage of shimano is deralleurs are SOOO much easier to take off (for the main reason they move fowards), I found this out today, whilst trying to put my wheel back onto my bike fitted with X-0....although if you take the deralleur off its a lot easier. But i would keep the XTR and run the sram shifters, because, why get rid of a perfectly good top of the range shimano derraleur? at least break it and replace it...

IMO sram feels a lot better than shimano, but the XTR's are actually quite nice....

wtr

Likes Dirt
Ruckus_Lord said:
Im not aware of the prices on the rocket/attack shifters.
Attack shifter: $69

Ruckus_Lord said:
IMO sram feels a lot better than shimano, but the XTR's are actually quite nice....
Wait till you've tried an Attack with 105 on short 909.;)

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
if you are wanting to go xtr at the rear may i ask why?

if for the bling! X0 has more bling.

but the X9 works better than the XTR and is compatable.

and for the rest the easy way is sram parts (shifters) with NAMES are shimano compatable and the ones wirh numbsrs are sram only. any left hand shifter will work with aby front mech.

udi

swiss cheese
luckyphil - nothing bighitter said was incorrect. ;)

josh123 - if you are getting XTR rear derailleur, make sure you hunt down an M952 (ie: non-rapidrise) unless you are keen on the idea of rapidrise. Again, if you are buying XTR I assume you know the difference.

As for shifters, the SRAM rocket is an X9 equivalent that is compatible with shimano RD's (and attack is the X7 equivalent), if you prefer to stay with the dual thumbshifters.

However my recommendation would be a righthand XT, Saint, XTR, or even an LX. They all work great, and will keep working great forever.

Either way you'll have to buy a new shifter (obviously). And yes shifters make a big difference, because the "brains" as such are at the shifter end - a highend unit will make all the difference in your shifting. Money spent at the derailleur on the other hand usually goes towards lighter weight and higher strength. (XTR, X0, etc)

bazza

look at me
wtr said:
Wait till you've tried an Attack with 105 on short 909.;)

im with you. best dh bike combination possible. on a tiagra or above road cluster as well. OMG............GOT CRISP. but does limit the gearing range. but meh.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have these set ups.

sram rocket to xtr.
sram rocket to dura-ace
sram x9 to sram x9
xt to xtr.

sram rocket to dura-ace is best. scram rocket to xtr is next.

this is all stated in the context of it being my humble opinion based on my experience with my current 4 bikes with gears.