XTR Pedals

Hi Guys and Girls

Just purchased a new set of XTR Pedals.

In the process of easing off the the tension hex head to remove the plastic platform I managed to stuff the hex head (almost round now).

The hex head lookes really soft (unlike my M520).

Does anyone know what my options are or are they ready for the bin before I have even put them on my bike????

Regards,

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
If you can get the bolt out somehow can you then transplant one of the old bolts from your previous pedals? You just need a method to extract the stripped bolt. In the past, my dad and I Dremel'd a slot into a frozen bolt head to allow us to get a screwdriver in and extract the bolt.
Good luck with whatever happens.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
I have found that if you use a thin screwdriver, you can slip it in next to the pedal and lever back the portion of the pedal that retains the cleat and the plastic pedals will just pop right out.

I can't help on the buggered allens key though :(

edit: Although, perhaps you can sacrifice a cheap allens key and use glue it in place to get some traction.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should be able to get a replacement bolt. Get your LBS to check the exploded view diagram on the Shimano dealer site.

Good idea on the 'sacrifice cheap allan key' to get it out also.

64ponty

Likes Bikes
drop into your local hardware and buy a bolt extractor for about $10. It's basically a screw with a reverse thread on it. Screw it into the allan key hole and the bolt will wind out.

Great little tool to have

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just so you don't have to visit the LBS, i just checked webshop...the tension adjust bolt isn't available as a spare part. use one of the methods mentioned above to get the bolt out and then steal one of your old pedals or visit a bolt shop to get something that suits.

Mays86

Likes Bikes
you can get a tool called an outie or somthing like that! you can get rounded off nuts out of anything! I used one too get a cleat out of my shoes that had been there for years

akashra

Eats Squid
It's not a part that can be replaced, it's part of the main assembly - I've done the same thing, and tried to get the parts. Shimano's answer is you need a new set of pedals.

You can't put a replacement bolt in either due to the way it's inserted. Or maybe you can, but it'd be a bloody difficult transplant.

davzab

Likes Dirt
Yeh I have done the same thing, tis a shame to have pretty high end stuff fail in such asimple way. the shallow allen key holes are very difficult not to round out on most shimano spd's..

sacrificial allen key and glue, then grab and old one if you can should get you through..

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...and a lesson to all to invest in a good quality set of allan keys.

Never used to be able to understand the fuss about Park Tools, but having seen the damage poor quality tools can do, they are worth every cent.

craigb

Likes Dirt
i have an extreemly expensive set of allen keys and still managed to do the exact same thing to my new xtr perals about 2 years ago. Wasnt happy about it but what can you do? Just use them on what they are set at i havent had a problem since

Dicko74

Squid
I have had the exact same problem with a new set of xtr pedals this week, couldnt undo the tension screw on the the platform side of the pedals and had to lever off the platform, but this means that one side of the pedals is set to max tension and is to hard to unclip from while riding.
Contacted shimano this morning and they said they hadnt heard of this problem before and to take my pedals back to my LBS to send back to them.
Kinda of sucks as i could send the pedals to them now (shimano) but have to wait another week until i can get back to my LBS.
I think this is a major design flaw as the 2.5mm hex screw is clearly not up to job of coping with force exerted by the tension spring.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...and a lesson to all to invest in a good quality set of allan keys.

Never used to be able to understand the fuss about Park Tools, but having seen the damage poor quality tools can do, they are worth every cent.
And making sure its the right size too

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
definatly the rite size and definatly a QUALITY set of alenkeys. Any other ideas besides bad design?
I've never had any issues with any of my XTR pedals.

That said they are alway stiff straight out of the box and I find they are much easier to adjust the tension after you've clipped in and out a few times on each side of the pedal.

So my only advice would be with new ones is

Install them on a bike, clip in and out a few times before adjusting and if they feel a bit stiff to adjust spray a little something around the tension bolt area so that there is some lubrication as they may have been sitting in a box for a reasonable amount of time.