XTR spare parts

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
Hello,
I recently got a new chain and it skips on the old XTR cassette. Predictably it only happens on the smaller two titanium cogs. These are available as a spare part but they are ridiculously overpriced. The pair costs more than an XT cassette and well over half a whole new XTR cassette.
I almost never shop online but thought in this case it might be worth it to get an extra season out of the cassette. Anyone know who sells them cheap?

I've tried the ones I've overheard people talking about like wiggle, torpedo7, chain reaction and probikekit with no luck. I found an aussie site but prices were astronomical.

The whole idea of titanium sprockets seems a bit stupid anyway, tiny weight saving for massive extra cost and reduced life...

floody

Wheel size expert
Normally the ti cogs wear chains, not the other way!

I thought the 4 ti cogs were fixed on a spider?

akashra

Eats Squid
My advice would be to switch to XT cassettes, and just retire the one you're trying to replace parts on, since the cogs will be worn at different rates. You're saving what, 20g?

It's much the same with all replacement XTR parts. For instance, I needed a new cage for an XTR RD about 2 years ago - from memory price was close to $200 just for the cage, more expensive than importing an entire RD.

Also, as below, the Ti cogs are the low gears (the larger cogs) - the 11T etc aren't Ti. Yes, they're on a separate spider.

frensham

Likes Dirt
My advice would be to switch to XT cassettes, and just retire the one you're trying to replace parts on, since the cogs will be worn at different rates. You're saving what, 20g?
+1 for moving to XT - the weight difference is minimal and can be made up by (next time) getting a SRAM hollow pin chain.

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
I will be switching to an XT cassette, just being a bit of a greenie trying to eke out what I can out of what I have. The rest of the cassette is fine, kinda dissapointed it only lasted one chain (checked regularly with chain checker). Previous XT cassettes last at least three chains under the same conditions.

I saw a reference to the part I was after being 40USD, would make sense at that price but not much more.

Ti is softer than steel (as opposed to titanium nitride coatings), seems to be a poor choice of material for a sprocket to me. But then again top end stuff is rarely designed for durability.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Ti is softer than steel (as opposed to titanium nitride coatings), seems to be a poor choice of material for a sprocket to me. But then again top end stuff is rarely designed for durability.
Yeh, when you consider that XTR is really designed for elite racers who rarely use the 'bigger cogs' it make sense to make them lighter but less durable......

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
FWIW it isn't over-priced. Manufacturing of titanium bits is expensive, and the big cogs would constitute atleast half of the cost.

Cycling is not an expensive hobby. Having nice stuff is. Wait until you have to get chainrings!

+1 for XT or SLX.

And chain checkers don't really do much. I can make a brand new Dura ace chain show as worn with a park tool chain checker. Best way to judge it is with the odometer on your cycling computer, and replacing more often than might strictly be needed.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
$40 from cambriabike. Shipping was about $20 but I bought a stack of other stuff at the time.

Jensonusa were blowing out some Yumeya versions for much less as well.