XX1 crank vs putting a NW chain ring on the middle slot of an old triple ring crank?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there any practical difference between paying top dollar for an XX1 crank vs putting a NW chain ring on the middle slot of an old triple ring crank set?

-Andrew

Ivan

Eats Squid
Is there any practical difference between paying top dollar for an XX1 crank vs putting a NW chain ring on the middle slot of an old triple ring crank set?

-Andrew

The XX1 crank BCD allows for chainrings smaller than 32t whilst maintaining the correct chainline. Other Sram cranks with a removable spider can also do this.

I know Wolftooth do a 30t for 104bcd, but it has a 48mm chainline, so it's not perfect.

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 2 bikes set up with XX1. 1 has XX1 cranks, 1 has X0 with spiderless Wolf tooth which happens to be 50g lighter.

No noticeable difference.

The Wolftooth did a Marathon race in Italy and 3 days of Pass Portes Du Soleil in France with no issues. Did drop chain twice but with so much mud on chainring it was not really surprising.....

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
carbon? i hada triple crankset i was gonna do the same with but cheap low end sram alloy. it was gonna cost me more for a decent set of triples and NW ring than a xx1 crankset with 32T. that being said if i wanna change ring size (bigger not really keen to go any smaller at this stage... maybe a 30T if i get lazy) the xx1 76BCD rings are not cheap compared to any of the 104BCD wolf tooth, raceface etc.

spiderless is also an option as others have said if you have a GXP crankset.

22SBBGR

Squid
A question for those who have done the 1x11 conversion on a triple crankset, how was the chain line performance compared with a std XX1 crankset ? Any issue or just the same performance ?

I've got a pair of xtr m970 cranks which are very strong and light, and don't want to buy carbon xx1 cranks if I don't need too when moving to 1x11spd.

Noticed the xx1 crankset chain line is 49mm, but a triple with wolf tooth NW rings are supposed to be a chain line of 48mm (30t), and 50mm (32t+). Seems that +\- 1mm should make no difference.

Experiences ?