Y12 D&T Major Project - Bicycle Storage/Racking System

2-fast

Likes Dirt
HI Guys

So for my Y12 Design and Technology Major Design Project I am going to be making a racking system to store bicycles when not in use within an indoor setting. I believe there is a strong need there is no current Design Solution that satisfies all of my Requirements. At the moment I am leaning toward something that attaches/sits against a wall.

Weaknesses I have found with some designs include:

• The incapability of designs to store effectively different types of bikes. Because different Bikes have different wheel sizes, frame shapes, wheel widths,
  • Some designs do not effectively save space.
  • Some designs are unsightly
  • Some designs can cause damage to bicycles due to their poor design. (I.e. Bikes can swing from side to side due to lack of support. This can result in damage to Bicycles and their components.
  • Some Designs don’t offer the option of security. (i.e. Locking Devices cannot be attached)
  • Most Designs only offer storage solutions for the bicycle itself and not cycling accessories/equipment. (i.e. Helmet, Cycle Shoes, Wind Jacket, etc.

I wanted to know from the wider cycling community:

What features would you look for when/if buying a similar product/rack?
eg. Locking Capabilities, Storage of Helmet + Other Accessories, capability of storing all bikes from roady to dh bike.

What do you think are some of the problems with existing Designs?

What are some of your design Ideas?

Cheers!

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I currently use a simple bunnings wall-mounted rack which is fine for my use, although I would love something that saved space and potentially allowed 3 bikes against a wall without extra depth (to fit next to a car).

One of the big questions that comes up when people are asking about storage is for options that don't require drilling/screwing into a wall for people who are renting - ie a freestanding or leaning design. There are some around that telescope between floor and ceiling, but this could be a good option.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a stand that holds the bike as if it was sitting on its own wheels, i've found hanging expensive bikes isn't great for the seals, it takes prolonged hanging but the seals dont like being hug up for along time, id also like to see a rack that could be sat on the floor, not only for renters but also for cleaning, rearranging stuff and so on, my thinking is a track the wheels car sit in and as you slide the bike back the seat post would slide into a holder, i'll do some drawings and post them up

2-fast

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys some good ideas! I think the concept of not attaching to a wall in a manner that requires limited damage to the wall is a good one. That is an interesting idea regarding a platform to stop the bike from dangling.. Although how would you adapt it to fit different bikes.. A hook system would be out of the question as different bikes would hang lower than others.. maybe a some kind of slotting system??

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the idea in my head is god but i cant get it down, i could show you if you were in ACT, i'll try for some drawings, also with the seat post holder i'd be hoping to eliminate the need for a wheel bracket, i just dont like racks that sit either side of the wheel, 1 they're in consistent and unadaptable 2 i just hate the idea of stuff that close to the derailure and brake

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
I know this is for ute use, but I took down many notes from these designs. This is just page 2 because its in my favourites as I love riderseventy7's idea. All of these can definitely be adapted for floor use. Good luck mate. I am hoping to do something alike to what you are thinking in Grade 11 this year or 12 for next year. Good luck

EDIT - for some reason the link didnt get included
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ng-bike-have-ute-alternatives-to-in-tub/page2

Last edited:

2-fast

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys! yeah i think the hardest aspect of the design for sure is going to be finding a way of attachment that suits all types of bikes. What Im thinking is brainstorm components of the bicycle that are alike from road bike to downhill bike and everything in-between and going from there. A couple that come to mind are maybe stem and seatpost/seat.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have a delta Michelangelo and it does all the listed requirements...well it does for my uses anyway, it'll take small frames, but dunno about weird FS frames, you "can" lock to it and it has extra hooks for hanging crap. I picked one of those after my buddy had the floor to sealing type and put a hole in the roof:nono:

2-fast

Likes Dirt
i have a delta Michelangelo and it does all the listed requirements...well it does for my uses anyway, it'll take small frames, but dunno about weird FS frames, you "can" lock to it and it has extra hooks for hanging crap. I picked one of those after my buddy had the floor to sealing type and put a hole in the roof:nono:
Hi Mate! yeah Ive seen this rack before. I has interesting qualities as it seems you can easily move it around from different locations. Although my design should cater for more bikes than just two, and should be more secure yet be able to be moved around like the one you have can.. That will be the challenge.. making something that satisfies everything in my design criteria.