Yarra Bend Park - MTB trails

Beej1

In the meantime ...

... it would seem ParksVic REALLY don't want MTB riders between Chandler Hwy bridge and Fairfield Boathouse pipe bridge. The new gate & fence under Chandler Hwy is so difficult to get your bike through that it's easier to just skip that section now. And there's 2 no bikes signs you'd have to miss anyway.

Pity, I really liked riding along that section of the river with it's steep drop offs.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... it would seem ParksVic REALLY don't want MTB riders between Chandler Hwy bridge and Fairfield Boathouse pipe bridge. The new gate & fence under Chandler Hwy is so difficult to get your bike through that it's easier to just skip that section now. And there's 2 no bikes signs you'd have to miss anyway.

Pity, I really liked riding along that section of the river with it's steep drop offs.
it's not too hard to lilft bike over fence, nice workout! They have done the wrong thing here, mtbs have a right to use this section (have been for 20 years with no issues!!), won't be long before there are some B lines made which won't be good for surrounding bush. Eitherway excluding bikes is discriminatory and will ruin any consultation process, hopefully mtbers have a backbone on this issue and stand up for themselves.

akashra

Eats Squid
In the past it's not been uncommon for 'friends of' groups to go doing this kind of stuff, and putting up signs. If you like, I can give Parks a call and find out for certain whether it was Parks or someone else, but I'd prefer it be coordinated so they don't get six calls.

Beej1

it's not too hard to lilft bike over fence, nice workout!
This is my normal tactic, since 99% of the fences I encounter are the standard waist high variant. However, this treated pine job was about my shoulder height (I'm 6ft), if not taller. The V-configuration fence can fit one adult human through at a time - no chance a bike can get through it I reckon. It's been specifically constructed to keep bicycles out. Lifting over would be a tough ask since you'd have to scale the bottom of it carrying your bike to get it over.

B lines are an option, as the fence goes back to the aforementioned waist high about 4 or so meters either side of the new fence/gate, but it's in scrub and I pretty much figured for now I'll leave it be and see what others think about it being there.

Akashra thanks for the offer - I really think it was a concerted effort by a large organisation. I've never seen a such a fence so robustly built to be honest. There was actually a sign from memory, but I didn't read it because I figured it would just annoy me more. It may have said Parks Vic on it, I don't know - I'd turned around to walk up the steps and pick up the same trail 1km later by that stage. If you are good at making phone calls to bureaucracies without losing your temper (this is my problem) then it would be good to find out more about it.

I honestly think it's pretty stupid not to let bikes through there, since I would say over 3/4 of the traffic through there is MTB. The inner-vandal/prankster in me wants to go down there at night with a sabre saw and cut an MTB-rider shape silhouete out of the fence and spray paint "FAIL" in big letters. I would never do this - given what the consequences would be - but it's the first thing that springs to mind when I see such idiocy.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can get bike over no problems ... got to hold bike mid-frame, sure you know all that anyway.

Apart from mtb access what about the disabled dude who wants to go say down to river or general bush experience? No access. They had a similar issue with entrance to banyule flats, some dog head wanted gates, problem was disabled user groups then had no access, so gate had to go!

T-Ride

Squid
For me, I don't see it as a right that we can use this path, but I think there needs to be a sound reason for why access is blocked. I assume this is erosion, but it's disappointing that the fence has gone up prior to the consultation process through which these kind of issues could be debated.

I use this route purely because it means I don't have to stop/get off my bike to go down the steps/cross Chandler Hwy. The solution (if it's that important to protect the lower trail) would surely be to reconstruct (properly this time!) a path down from the Boulevard to the bottom of the steps - this way there'd be a legal dirt track to ride up to the Boulevard with only a small amount of sealed track to ride along.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

While I agree it's a great bit of ST, do you not think that riding it while there is a consultation process around the use of Yarra Bend is like shooting ourselves in the foot? Walkers, twitters, etc already have us branded as crazed hooligans flying blindly through the bush, the fact that we're using a newly fenced off area is going to give them ammo to keep us out of the other areas we can ride now. We can argue the crazed hooligan part because that's just complete crap, but it's pretty clear we shouldn't be there (right or wrong) and it's gold to their argument.

I know, I'm sounding like a prude, but I love riding the tracks around Yarra Bend and don't want us kicked off them all because we can't restrain ourselves from riding 2km of it.

Let the flaming begin........ otherwise I'll see you out there.

Cheers

Coaster

akashra

Eats Squid
I feel like I need to say something that shouldn't even need saying, but if there's 'no bikes' signs around, please use your heads and don't go riding there, whether you agree with the decision or not.
Let it get sorted out through the proper channels.

Regarding my earlier offer to get in contact with Parks, I just wanted to point out that while I can still do this (I haven't had time to yet), because I haven't seen this myself I'm not in the best position to speak. Someone who has seen what's been done would be better, or if someone can provide photos that would be a good start.

Also I've just been told that apparently there's a document doing the rounds that shows the damage and erosion mountain bike trails 'cause'. I've only been told of it though - if anyone can find this or provide a link, I'd like to examine this (and, if possible, write a response tearing it to shreds and discrediting it, if necessary).

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I feel like I need to say something that shouldn't even need saying, but if there's 'no bikes' signs around, please use your heads and don't go riding there, whether you agree with the decision or not.
Let it get sorted out through the proper channels.

Regarding my earlier offer to get in contact with Parks, I just wanted to point out that while I can still do this (I haven't had time to yet), because I haven't seen this myself I'm not in the best position to speak. Someone who has seen what's been done would be better, or if someone can provide photos that would be a good start.

Also I've just been told that apparently there's a document doing the rounds that shows the damage and erosion mountain bike trails 'cause'. I've only been told of it though - if anyone can find this or provide a link, I'd like to examine this (and, if possible, write a response tearing it to shreds and discrediting it, if necessary).
there are plenty of documents around showing how much damage walkers do too. Check out the IMBA website

akashra

Eats Squid
I'm not talking about in general, I'm talking about one specifically related to this particular area.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
Hi,

While I agree it's a great bit of ST, do you not think that riding it while there is a consultation process around the use of Yarra Bend is like shooting ourselves in the foot? Walkers, twitters, etc already have us branded as crazed hooligans flying blindly through the bush, the fact that we're using a newly fenced off area is going to give them ammo to keep us out of the other areas we can ride now. We can argue the crazed hooligan part because that's just complete crap, but it's pretty clear we shouldn't be there (right or wrong) and it's gold to their argument.

I know, I'm sounding like a prude, but I love riding the tracks around Yarra Bend and don't want us kicked off them all because we can't restrain ourselves from riding 2km of it.
I'm with Coaster on this. Just because it has been used for 20 years does not mean that the owners/controllers of the land may not change how they want it used. In addition, the signage around here is very clear, they don't want bikes. Yes it is good riding, but can we get over the attitude that it is our right? It isn't. If I want it to be OK to go berko at walkers on the trails at Lysterfield becuase they are bike only, then it is also reasonable to expect there to be walker only trails. Yes, walkers cause erosion, but most of the erosion damage around the boat houses is caused by riding, and as Coaster points out, why on earth should we be listened to if we can't actually follow the rules for an existing management plan? Sustainable trails are made by design, not by creating B-lines around fence lines that have been put in to stop cyclists (and walkers) from going in.

And I regularly walk here, and as a mountain biker am tired of the number of riders who go past me and my kids without slowing down, without giving way, and without even acknowledging that they've ridden past a sign that says no bikes to actually be there. I just ride east of Chandler Highway or around Dights Falls. Yes I miss some really good trail, but I think we need to learn to share the park and not just treat some of these trails as our right, it is arrogance that just puts land managers' noses out of joint and will bite us in the longer term.

joe79

Likes Dirt
I just ride east of Chandler Highway or around Dights Falls. Yes I miss some really good trail, but I think we need to learn to share the park and not just treat some of these trails as our right, it is arrogance that just puts land managers' noses out of joint and will bite us in the longer term.
I believe pretty much everything from Richmond to Chandler highway, including Dights falls is actually off limits. I know there's 'no bikes' signs around that whole area.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe pretty much everything from Richmond to Chandler highway, including Dights falls is actually off limits. I know there's 'no bikes' signs around that whole area.
I ride around that area quite a lot. I keep off the trails that have a no biking sign (but god it's tempting) and ride the ones that don't, like that farker of a rocky climb up to the loop road but also the ST on high side of the Boulevard. No one's ever had a go at me, and Parks have seen me riding and have never stopped me. I presume that if I ride a trail that is posted (like dogs on leash) and doesn't have the bike crossed out, it's a goer.

Still worried we could get kicked out of there. Great spot.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
I ride around that area quite a lot. I keep off the trails that have a no biking sign (but god it's tempting) and ride the ones that don't, like that farker of a rocky climb up to the loop road but also the ST on high side of the Boulevard. No one's ever had a go at me, and Parks have seen me riding and have never stopped me. I presume that if I ride a trail that is posted (like dogs on leash) and doesn't have the bike crossed out, it's a goer.

Still worried we could get kicked out of there. Great spot.
This is where I sometimes ride too. The rocky climbs and the dirt road from the loop down to Dights Falls all seem to be OK to ride (have never seen signage) and the bit of single trick above the Boulevard (my loop is usually down the dirt road, up the rocky climb at the falls, along the bitumen, past he boathouse on path, along the river until you find the sign that says no bikes, turn right, up the climb to the Boulevard, cross it, up a bit more then pick up the singletrack that comes out just by the Studley Park Rd bridge, back along bitumen to repeat. It is quite short, but as far as I can tell tolerated by Parks.

al_

Likes Dirt
If the concern from council relates to the tracks being damaged, maybe the mtb community should propose restricted hours, or limited tracks?

I think asking the bureaucracy to do a 180 and allow bikes back immediately is unlikely - perhaps if the usage was restricted it would be a good opportunity to prove we should be allowed back all the time? It would also keep bikes and walkers/dogs apart, which i think is a concern for councils.

I use the yarra trails further out regularly, but it would be great to have access to some in this area. Concentrating the bike traffic to specific times isn't great either, but it might be a way to negotiate a way in

I would image most go out early or late, so an hour before/after sunrise/sunset might be a good start. It would be better than nothing anyway, and still allow them to think they are in charge and sensible/eco-friendly/safe etc etc, while not banning a fairly positive activity. They obviously have some interest in mtb - it all just seems a bit hard, so nothing happens

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Yarra Trails update from Parks Vic

Just received this update about the management plan for the Yarra trails in an email from Robin. I've attached it if you haven't been part of the debate.

I'm really disappointed that Parks Vic say that "a draft plan will be available for comment in the next few months", when the reality is they have already erected several large fences designed to keep mountain bikers out, as well as covering up several trails completely to prevent use.

Seems to me that they are simply paying lip service to making the consultation as open as possible, when they clearly have their own agenda.

Attachments

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm really disappointed that Parks Vic say that "a draft plan will be available for comment in the next few months", when the reality is they have already erected several large fences designed to keep mountain bikers out, as well as covering up several trails completely to prevent use.
yes, not only did these park idiots erect large fences/gates $$$ they have now removed gates ... suspect due to pressure from bikes, runners, walkers, people with prams and would you believe disabled users who couldn't access banks or river trail. Appears Parks already have a position of prohibition and the consultation is merely trying to appear as best practice.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
I have been told from a friend who deals with land management that the council would like to close the MTB trail next to the Freeway. He wasnt sure whether it was the off camber stuff that is right next to the yarra or the section that is next to the golf course. My mate seems to think that it won't happen, but there is always a chance.

Just a heads up that it isnt only VicParks that wants to close the MTB trails along the yarra down!

Also from my engineering role I totally understand where VicParks and the council are coming from. If someone gets injured or killed they are liable for a BIG payout expecially if they are aware of the problem (which they are)