Yarra Trails regulars

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
All this talk about tyres. Tyres are for pussies, hombre.

My famous Maxxis Marks (crossmarks - cross)
2SCL6Gel.jpg

Traction is a lie propagated by the multibillion MTB companies, minimum rolling resistance is the truth
lAnX1rVl.jpg

Anyone have the misfortune of riding today in this pouring rain? Hans might be a bit slick tomorrow. And on an unrelated note, anyone got a tire they would like to spare?

Last edited:

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Bell Bird to Banksia before it tipped down. The piece of bush between the steps near Chandler and the bridge has a fence across the top so no dice for a trial to ride up.

Trails were wet but not stuffed yet; ok the ST from the annulus car park to Banksia is pretty bad.

Burke Rd Billabong is wet but very tacky once you get out from the trees.

Freeway ST has the usual puddles and the tree root for the step / roll up is very slippery.

Yarra Bend ST is it ok, normal puddles.

On tyres: HD on the front NN on the rear. The HD handles this stuff fine, NN can slide around a bit.

whodesigns

Likes Bikes
Rode out from Chandler to Tikalara via most of the ST, avoided the sections that get boggy after Banksia, Hans was great, no rain this morning and only a few out. Came back to town and they said it poured rain, it was almost sunny out riding :)

Talking tyres, I have been running Conti Mtn King front and X king rear. The X king can let go in the mud but it forces you to be smooth.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Went out for a ride downstream from the pipe bridge. Few puddles but was nice and firm in most spots. On the way back came across a park ranger trimming bushes along the path. We had a chat and he said that there are no bikes allowed on the trail all around yarra bend. The 'no bike' signs are legit. He was good about it let me keep going and said Parks Vic were looking to put in some formal MTB trails in the area and close some that are in sensitive areas. He mentioned the ones around the par 3 course were particularly sensitive.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
All this talk about tyres. Tyres are for pussies, hombre.

My famous Maxxis Marks (crossmarks - cross)
View attachment 292484

Traction is a lie propagated by the multibillion MTB companies, minimum rolling resistance is the truth
View attachment 292485

Anyone have the misfortune of riding today in this pouring rain? Hans might be a bit slick tomorrow. And on an unrelated note, anyone got a tire they would like to spare?
They are slicks. Any trail would be slippery on them.
I rode a few laps of Hans before the rain this arvo. It was holding up well.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spent a bit of time today formalising a track to avoid what we call "the Somme" , the really boggy bit after the windmill past the Rosanna Tennis courts/ dog training park. Now if you go left just near the windmill then keep right you stay on high ground along a billabong and come back out through a gap in the fence before the bike path comes close again. On this map the new bit basically goes diagonal from bottom left to top right.

Attachments

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to change tyres for the different sessions then Nuclear Powered inspired me. Now I put on a set of tyres and change em when their fucked
Yep. I too had a tyre fetish. Changed them like Imelda changed shoes...

My new process involves riding the same set until they're F.U.B.A.R... The dually has Ralph/Ron and the HT has Race King/X King. I don't ride in the slop.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Question for the Warrandyte/Park Orchards riders- how do I get from Hans to the football ground behind the Park Orchards BMX track off Stintons Rd? I need to get there by 11:00 and would rather ride than drive, the missus can take the boys. I haven't ridden out that way before, but it looks like there might be trails almost all the way there.
Looks like I need to go via Sweeneys Flats - Tikalara Park - Deep Creek Reserve - Currawong bush Park - Buck Reserve then finish at Stintons Reserve. For what I can google, sounds like the Linear Park as they call it might cover some or most of this. Should've asked last night...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question for the Warrandyte/Park Orchards riders- how do I get from Hans to the football ground behind the Park Orchards BMX track off Stintons Rd? I need to get there by 11:00 and would rather ride than drive, the missus can take the boys. I haven't ridden out that way before, but it looks like there might be trails almost all the way there.
Looks like I need to go via Sweeneys Flats - Tikalara Park - Deep Creek Reserve - Currawong bush Park - Buck Reserve then finish at Stintons Reserve. For what I can google, sounds like the Linear Park as they call it might cover some or most of this. Should've asked last night...

Better late than never. Get to Beasleys nursery on the main yarra trail. Cross the road and follow the walking trail up to Reynolds Road. You're there!

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Thanks jathanas, that's how I ended up getting there. There's some nice ST through there, like through Currawong Park. Nice ride.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Trail running through KEW boulie single track this weekend. I think Sunday. Could be good to avoid it. May also be why as posted earlier that the ranger was doing maintenance recently

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Had a look today at 101's trail under chandler hwy project. The whole area between the stairs and the bridge is fenced off with serious bollards and large diameter wire.
I reckon the only route is using the trail JD mentioned. It's a steep pinch up but that will limit its use. Down it flows well but we need to cut the tree that's fallen down. It's about 30cm thick.
I think we cut a " gate" in the wire fence with star pickets so it looks legit ( see pic)