Yarra Trails regulars

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's been a couple of small dead deer on the urban fringe of the dandenong ranges recently as well, not natural causes, heads removed. Deer are pests though, so not as serious as native wildlife but all the same disturbing activity. Knowing a local ranger and the budget they have I hope police throw some resource at it. A coordinated effort with 4G motion activated surveillance cams around wildlife bedding areas would likely deter or id whoever it is and give a better opportunity at apprehension, but that costs $'s and the civil libertarians would be up in arms about monitoring.

redbruce

Eats Squid
There's been a couple of small dead deer on the urban fringe of the dandenong ranges recently as well, not natural causes, heads removed. Deer are pests though, so not as serious as native wildlife but all the same disturbing activity. Knowing a local ranger and the budget they have I hope police throw some resource at it. A coordinated effort with 4G motion activated surveillance cams around wildlife bedding areas would likely deter or id whoever it is and give a better opportunity at apprehension, but that costs $'s and the civil libertarians would be up in arms about monitoring.
While they are pests, the issue is at the minimum animal cruelty and then some. Police have been investigating a crime racket where crims swap deer heads for ice.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/d...he-body-count-piles-up-police-20150112-12memw.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nothing surprises me anymore when humans are involved.

I like koalas, they're kind of cool. I like riding too.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I don't think it will be high on the police "must do" list. I rang 000 when a Camry load of guys turned up in the parkland behind my house around 11:30 one night and began bashing all the nesting birds to death up and down the creek. I gave specific details of the car and location. They didn't even bother turning up despite these pricks being there for some time. But that response(or lack of) is pretty common in my neighborhood. About the only time I see the police is when they turn up in the park and use my fence for a toilet.
I vote we send Eastie in with a blunt stick and a snickers bar.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've tried riding koalas, they're too small, even for a short arse like me....
Too lazy to read the article so the answer may be in there........but, seriously, da fuck? I don't understand the lure of bitcoin, how in the hell is animal heads a form of tender? Fucking tweakers.
Of course, its a five minute read at most (for those challenged), more like less than 60 seconds for everyone else..

Both posts probably symptomatic of my next point.

I don't think it will be high on the police "must do" list. I rang 000 when a Camry load of guys turned up in the parkland behind my house around 11:30 one night and began bashing all the nesting birds to death up and down the creek. I gave specific details of the car and location. They didn't even bother turning up despite these pricks being there for some time. But that response(or lack of) is pretty common in my neighborhood. About the only time I see the police is when they turn up in the park and use my fence for a toilet.
I vote we send Eastie in with a blunt stick and a snickers bar.
Ummm.

They like so many publicaly funded (and voluntary) community service groups are under resourced and therefore unable to deliver to the wide range of (un prioritised) community expectations (its a priority based system after all unless you want more taxes - you do want more taxes don't you?) demanded by an increasingly educated, but without understanding the difference between rights and responsibilities/ entitlements, critical, self centered, uncompromising, instant self gratification seeking and demanding community. Police can only apply a triage system to deal with this. Also not sure what naming the manufacturer of the vehicle the miscreants arrived in (other than we know you are a Ford mechanic) has to add to the point you try to make.

While I don't condone the pointless and cruel actions by those you (and any self respecting moral and ethical self effacing people) rightfully despise, shit caning the Police in this manner is a low point (and disappointingly so) in your normally reasonable and rationale posting record.

On the other hand, they (Police) are by all accounts hot on the trail of the Deer head for ice crims.

So, on balance, how would you prioritise limited Police resources?

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Well, have you ever tried to keep your beer cold with deer heads? It just doesn't work.
Ah humour, but anything's possible.

We have a campervan, my kid's like Breaking Bad, and, I am a qualified chemist. Hmmmmmmmm.

Still no place for old men though (you've changed your avatar).

Last edited:

Markee

Likes Dirt
On a lighter note the puncture pricks blew my way today! 3 flats in half an hour. Used a tube and the two last stick on patches I had plus two bottles of gas. First thing I'm doing once I get a new job, F:censored:ING TUBELESS!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Of course, its a five minute read at most (for those challenged), more like less than 60 seconds for everyone else..

Both posts probably symptomatic of my next point.

Ummm.

They like so many publicaly funded (and voluntary) community service groups are under resourced and therefore unable to deliver to the wide range of (un prioritised) community expectations (its a priority based system after all unless you want more taxes - you do want more taxes don't you?) demanded by an increasingly educated, but without understanding the difference between rights and responsibilities/ entitlements, critical, self centered, uncompromising, instant self gratification seeking and demanding community. Police can only apply a triage system to deal with this. Also not sure what naming the manufacturer of the vehicle the miscreants arrived in (other than we know you are a Ford mechanic) has to add to the point you try to make.

While I don't condone the pointless and cruel actions by those you (and any self respecting moral and ethical self effacing people) rightfully despise, shit caning the Police in this manner is a low point (and disappointingly so) in your normally reasonable and rationale posting record.

On the other hand, they (Police) are by all accounts hot on the trail of the Deer head for ice crims.

So, on balance, how would you prioritise limited Police resources?
I expect every non bogus 000 call to be followed up on.
This is not the first time this has happened to me that the police were a no show.
October 2013 I called the local station to report a stolen excavator was parked hidden away in the park behind my place. At first they tried to tell me it was just parked there by V-Line despite being miles from the nearest V-Line tracks. When I pushed a little more officer nimrod assured me they would check it out. Well they never bothered and about 10:00pm that night the bikie from around the corner and two cars from interstate came and collected it. How do I know it was stolen, you ask? Great question. It was on crime stoppers a few weeks later asking for public help. I never rang back.
Also, late one night I busted some oxygen thief dumping rubbish, again in the park behind my house. When he and his morbidly obese wife saw me taking pictures he threatened to come and kill me. Again I dialed 000 and again they failed to respond despite me having pictures and a registration number.
Another time my heavily pregnant wife and I were victims of a violent road rage attack and were straight on the phone to 000 asking for help. They never came. When I went to the station and asked what happened their response was "oh yeah I heard that call on the radio"
When I dial 000 I expect a response, particularly when mine and my families lives are being threatened.
It's against the law to carry a weapon to defend yourself but I certainly don't feel like I can rely on police actually turning up when I need them.

I know too well that police are under resourced. My best mate is a cop and I hear about some of the shit he has to deal with between the odd exciting job.
But there needs to be some accountability. The old line of "yeah we were busy" just shouldn't cut the mustard. I know there is good officers out there but the system is joke. The crime stats are just totally bogus too. I also understand that police officers are human. They have bad days and they have days they just couldn't give a fuck. I also think the job burns people and they just spend their days looking for the path of least resistance.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I expect every non bogus 000 call to be followed up on.
This is not the first time this has happened to me that the police were a no show.
October 2013 I called the local station to report a stolen excavator was parked hidden away in the park behind my place. At first they tried to tell me it was just parked there by V-Line despite being miles from the nearest V-Line tracks. When I pushed a little more officer nimrod assured me they would check it out. Well they never bothered and about 10:00pm that night the bikie from around the corner and two cars from interstate came and collected it. How do I know it was stolen, you ask? Great question. It was on crime stoppers a few weeks later asking for public help. I never rang back.
Also, late one night I busted some oxygen thief dumping rubbish, again in the park behind my house. When he and his morbidly obese wife saw me taking pictures he threatened to come and kill me. Again I dialed 000 and again they failed to respond despite me having pictures and a registration number.
Another time my heavily pregnant wife and I were victims of a violent road rage attack and were straight on the phone to 000 asking for help. They never came. When I went to the station and asked what happened their response was "oh yeah I heard that call on the radio"
When I dial 000 I expect a response, particularly when mine and my families lives are being threatened.
It's against the law to carry a weapon to defend yourself but I certainly don't feel like I can rely on police actually turning up when I need them.

I know too well that police are under resourced. My best mate is a cop and I hear about some of the shit he has to deal with between the odd exciting job.
But there needs to be some accountability. The old line of "yeah we were busy" just shouldn't cut the mustard. I know there is good officers out there but the system is joke. The crime stats are just totally bogus too. I also understand that police officers are human. They have bad days and they have days they just couldn't give a fuck. I also think the job burns people and they just spend their days looking for the path of least resistance.
With that background I see your point, not a good, or acceptable record. Sorry for the rant.

Also have to confess to having experienced frustration at the lack of response to deal with hoons doing laps of our neighborhood at 2 am, tossers dumping rubbish in local bushland and regular drug deals done in the carpark of the local footy and BMX clubs.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Still no place for old men though (you've changed your avatar).
Yeah, I used to look like Anton Chigurh, but I got a hair cut and had some Botox and now look like Bad Boy Bubby. If you haven't seen the movie, well, just watch it. Unless you like cats.

I have filed your families potential criminality away for future reference.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes that's a sick movie. has been on tv lately. if anton was a cyclist I'm sure he'd ride downhill. :heh:

No_Country_for_Old_Men_poster.jpg

Last edited:

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
went out on tuesday night and they were nice and tacky, not dusty like before the rain. Most of the puddles had gone. Should be super today.

russ