Yarra Trails regulars

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's scope for raising that part of the track up closer to the fence line however I am hesitant to do anything without first scoping the levels out properly first. That whole area is built upon black river silt and it's hard to make it sustainable if there's any chance of water pondage on the track surface.
OK, new theory, what about going inland through the trees and bypassing that whole bit?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, that's what I really meant to say... But with a couple of turns in it to keep the speed down.
I mean the other side of the fence...there's a track off to the left just after the windmill on the riverbank.

And certainly turns are good!

Where the trees are inland of the fence it's a lot more open, less chance of head-ons (which I'm paranoid about on that section) Should we call that section "birdwatchers track"?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I mean the other side of the fence...there's a track off to the left just after the windmill on the riverbank.

And certainly turns are good!

Where the trees are inland of the fence it's a lot more open, less chance of head-ons (which I'm paranoid about on that section) Should we call that section "birdwatchers track"?
I rode the other side of the fence the other day and there are soft patches there as well so it's not ideal. I think that up near the fence on the river side of the fence will be out best bet. But I fear that it will be temporary because there's very little gradient to run water off the track.

Let's have a better look over the next few days.

Birdwatchers - yes I think that we've all disturbed them from time to time. They do like a chat though so if you come across one, stop and ask about what they are looking at. It takes the sting off us scaring the birds away from them.

Have you seen that massive native bee hive in that area? The thing that looks like a cow hide hanging off that dead tree?

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't seen the bee hive, but we were talking to a lady there the other day who was Platypus -watching, while we watched there were 2 !

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Just returned from a fun ride on Hans. The place was pumping with plenty of riders out there. Catching my breath at the top of the winding track up from the dams and Jim pops over on his very tasty new 29" specialized just dripping with ultra top-end stuff.

He still rides like an out of control teenager with no fear :rolleyes: But boy oh boy can he climb....
The dam diversion track (DDT) is bedding in well but there is one spot that needs realignment. After following Jim I can see where this spot can be awkward for a fast rider. I bet you thought you'd put your first mark on the frame there Jim didn't you.....

Oh and one more thing I wanted to post a couple of days ago on the giggling annulus topic...... MTB101, your slight of hand humour didn't go un-noticed...cracked me up.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just returned from a fun ride on Hans. The place was pumping with plenty of riders out there. Catching my breath at the top of the winding track up from the dams and Jim pops over on his very tasty new 29" specialized just dripping with ultra top-end stuff.

He still rides like an out of control teenager with no fear :rolleyes: But boy oh boy can he climb....
The dam diversion track (DDT) is bedding in well but there is one spot that needs realignment. After following Jim I can see where this spot can be awkward for a fast rider. I bet you thought you'd put your first mark on the frame there Jim didn't you.....

Oh and one more thing I wanted to post a couple of days ago on the giggling annulus topic...... MTB101, your slight of hand humour didn't go un-noticed...cracked me up.
Thanks George. It was great to run into you. You must be the most social bloke on the planet, both times we've met you're making new friends. :) One of the young blokes we were riding with washed out, other than a sore shoulder he should be fine.

That S-Works 29er is the wrong bike for Hans Loop, especially in the tight stuff, but it's so much fun :)

I'd like for the dam diversion track to be known as "George's Extention" or some other term that acknowledges George's effort to make it happen. BTW: that off-camber section nearly got me, twice!

During the second lap I met with Bruce who is organising the Woodend event taking place on the 3rd of April. What an inspiring bloke! He's 60 odd years old but he goes like a bat out of hell on his S-Works Epic.

I haven't had such a fun arvo for ages. I love mountain biking.

Cheers, Jim

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's Bruce of "Bruces Loop", fast rider !

His son has been National trials champ a million times...

Hud

Likes Dirt
I've just been reading a lot of this thread. So If I park at Beasley's nursery is there now singletrack from there down to the Hans loop area? Or at least part of the way? Nuke, do I need a tour?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just been reading a lot of this thread. So If I park at Beasley's nursery is there now singletrack from there down to the Hans loop area? Or at least part of the way? Nuke, do I need a tour?
Hey Hud!

There's the cool way of getting to Hans, which involves following a trail along the high tension powerlines and jumping a couple of fences... or you could follow the standard walking trail and jump on the track that follows the boardwalk.

The cool way requires you to climb up the gravel road that ends at Beasley's instead of riding along the walking track that starts at the swings.

I'm not explaining this too well am I?

J

vogmae

Likes Dirt
I do know that gravel road. :)
I don't! Is Beasleys the nursery on the river on Banksia St or is it somewhere completely different? Keen to find alternatives to the usual trail out to Westerfolds as too many near misses with head ons....

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Beasley's is opposite the Caravan Park out on Warrandyte rd at the end of the Yarra Trail.

The Greenery is near Banksia st.

Beej1

I'm assuming the fences you mean are the ones on the path leading to the Homestead near Mullum Mullum creek? I've approached those from that side and they look kinda 'keep out' - plus i was advised here not to go to that area. In any case, if it's well ridden, I'd like to hear more.

Hud the way I've gone with Sime when we did an extended ride after Hans/PR, followed a singletrack on the non-river side of the trail, and went up high towards a fenceline. Nice bit of track. Nothing much from after here to the nursery, so perhaps the other way they're talking about would be more interesting. Once on Warrandyte Rd, there is roadside singletrack all the way to the top of the hill before you head down into Warrandyte. It's awesome to ride back down.

Happy to meet up for a ride sometime. Been ages.

P.S. rode out at Hans/PR with my wife today - mostly the firetrail going through the centre, including the big climb from MYT. She's gettin' faster, it's awesome watching a beginner improve.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm assuming the fences you mean are the ones on the path leading to the Homestead near Mullum Mullum creek? I've approached those from that side and they look kinda 'keep out' - plus i was advised here not to go to that area. In any case, if it's well ridden, I'd like to hear more.

Hud the way I've gone with Sime when we did an extended ride after Hans/PR, followed a singletrack on the non-river side of the trail, and went up high towards a fenceline. Nice bit of track. Nothing much from after here to the nursery, so perhaps the other way they're talking about would be more interesting. Once on Warrandyte Rd, there is roadside singletrack all the way to the top of the hill before you head down into Warrandyte. It's awesome to ride back down.

P.S. rode out at Hans/PR with my wife today - mostly the firetrail going through the centre, including the big climb from MYT. She's gettin' faster, it's awesome watching a beginner improve.
Yep that's the one.

Follow the singletrack from Hans that's on the non-river side. At the end turn left instead of right, head back towards Han's Loop and until you get to the gate I'm talking about. It's a fun way of getting to Warrandyte Rd.

Hud

Likes Dirt

Good to hear Sal is getting into the singletrack scene! :)
My GF has done her 2nd commute to work today since her crash (the 1st was yesterday). I'm hoping now she has manged to get back on the bike things will only get better from here! :)

I know the track you mean on Warrandyte Rd. I've done it a few times when we have extended our Wonga Park/Warrandyte loop to take in the Hans/PR tracks. It is a fun descent. I like to cross to the left hand side of the road before the big road cutting (before Beasley's nursery) a bit better on that side from that point.

I might search for the directions for that loop and repost them here , it's not bad if you are looking for a more substantial ride. Though I'm not sure about the condition of the Gold Memorial Drive singletracks, they frequently get overgrown, however they are trimmed from time to time.
This is a cut and paste of a ride I used to do a while ago, not sure how the trails have changed since.

"G'day Orsk. The ride Nuclear_Powered and I did that time started at Wonga Park near the bottle shop at the roundabout (Homestead and Brysons rd.) Don't park opposite the shop or old mate will come out and give you what-for.
Head down ST along edge of Brysons (towards Warranwood) trail peters out then restarts on the RH side after the creek, nice techy ST climb. Turn right into Reids lane ST RH side. Ride on footpath beside Wonga rd - which becomes Croydon rd. Fast trail beside croydon rd. Cross Ringwood/Warrandyte rd at the shell servo and head down to Warrandyte on the ST on the left hand side of R/W road. Turn right onto Jumping Ck. rd. keep your eye out for the entrance into Warrandyte State on the right about 400m up J. ck. rd. Easy to miss. I believe these trails are legal to ride, no signs contrary, though I've seen sticks placed across trail by [irate locals?] Horses are alowed in there.
A maze of trails in here including some nice ST. You'll have to explore. Pretty steep in places but I normally do a figure 8 type loop in there. When you've finished in here go out the gate about halfway along Haslams track, there is a track along the edge of Haslams trk - Johansans rd which will give you a screamer back to R/W road. Continue into W/dyte, follow shared path on rivers edge. make your way to Harris gully rd at the other end of W/dyte. Head up gold memorial drive. There are about 5 sections of singletrack along the right hand side, some easy to miss. climb the gravel road pinch at the end (becomes Hussys lane). You're back at the shell servo, retrace way back to Wonga park. "

However doing it from the Yarra Trails end you could come down into Warrandyte, turn right into Harris Gully Road, Left into Gold Memorial Drive (Singletracks on the rh side - conditions unknown. It becomes Hussy's Ln. Once you come out near the Shell servo cross over and go along the left hand side of RW road towards Ringwood, left into Hall rd, left into Colman rd. Left onto Croydon rd. Fun descent back to the Shell. Cross over again and once you cross the exit driveway of the Shell there is a ripper descent back down to Warrandyte. Follow the riverside trail through Warrandyte and then make your way back to Beasleys nursery.
All these tracks are well used by mountainbikers so should be in good shape.

Last edited:

Beej1

Good to hear Sal is getting into the singletrack scene! :)
My GF has done her 2nd commute to work today since her crash (the 1st was yesterday). I'm hoping now she has manged to get back on the bike things will only get better from here! :)

I know the track you mean on Warrandyte Rd. I've done it a few times when we have extended our Wonga Park/Warrandyte loop to take in the Hans/PR tracks. It is a fun descent. I like to cross to the left hand side of the road before the big road cutting (before Beasley's nursery) a bit better on that side from that point.

I might search for the directions for that loop and repost them here , it's not bad if you are looking for a more substantial ride. Though I'm not sure about the condition of the Gold Memorial Drive singletracks, they frequently get overgrown, however they are trimmed from time to time.
I didn't know she had a stack (unless you told me, in which case sorry I'd forgotten). Bad one?

Yeah I think I might make a decent ride in the next few weeks and head from my place to Hans/PR, then along the route jathanas just explained, then up the hill (yes, I do the opposite side to nursery as well, though the steps are more fun down than up), cross over about half way to the other side till top. Then cross again for short ST section linking to a street going back down to the servo near Gold Memorial. Take this to top (assuming not too overgrown), then left and down that wicked roadside ST back to Warrandyte, along the river and back over the hill to Hans/PR. Should be about 80km with 3 decent climbs.

Thanks George for the ride yesterday. I must say, the legs were hurtin this morning. Not my usual 'ride with friends' pace. But enjoyable, absolutely.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rode over a snake yesterday past Banksia Street where track comes out onto gravel trail - out of first section down river.

Kept thinking, I wonder if snakes are still around as it was a sunny evening, and there he was about 1.5 metre, looked silverish laying along the track, I came around bend and reckon I went over part of the body, quickly unclipped and lifted legs up, thinking I'm ready to bail if he's caught in spokes or frame, but nothing, he was gone.

keyatch

Likes Bikes
I rode over a tiger snake (big bugger) on the fire road up around hans' last weekend... lucky i was already wearing brown shorts is all i can say.

Hud

Likes Dirt
I didn't know she had a stack (unless you told me, in which case sorry I'd forgotten). Bad one?
She was getting along pretty swiftly when the trail dropped down smoothly but a bit steep. I'm tipping she didn't move her weight back and kind of went OTB. Lots of grazing and her elbow took the impact. It was the same day I arrived in NZ at the end of January. I was looking forward to a fortnight of riding with her, but it wasn't to be...
She's fine now, but only just getting back on the bike. This is also due to house sitting for a month out of town, earthquakes, and a case of getting out of the groove.