Yarra Trails regulars

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
yep think my little friend bowen spur road climb will be getting a visit this weekend.
I got lost on the roadie out there and ended up riding/pushing it up there and got a flat. 30km of dirt on a roadie isn't my idea of fun.
I was looking for the Humevale climb but turned off a little early.
If you search Strava for a segment called "Kinglake the hard way" you can see my ride. It wouldn't be a bad cx or 29er hard tail work out but nothing technical at all, but quite a bit of up and down.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Rode from home to Hans mostly on the road since the ST between Burke rd and bonds is all rooted. Hans is ok apart from the usual spots.did a few laps. Drained a few puddles and left the place better than when I started. Get out there and enjoy it while the suns out on Sunday people

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a few large trees down along the Banksia to Burke Rd ST section had some strong winds through there today. was dry enough to ride along freeway ST, plenty of sticks to weave through on way

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got lost on the roadie out there and ended up riding/pushing it up there and got a flat. 30km of dirt on a roadie isn't my idea of fun.
I was looking for the Humevale climb but turned off a little early.
If you search Strava for a segment called "Kinglake the hard way" you can see my ride. It wouldn't be a bad cx or 29er hard tail work out but nothing technical at all, but quite a bit of up and down.
we started at Yan Yean/Doreen and went via the dirt roads to Strathewen plenty of punchie descents and long climbs through beautiful very green rolling country side. no cars around either. eventually we could see bowden spur road climb lurking on side of KL with the zig zag road climbing below the power lines. weather was pretty good, made sure I kept enough in the tank for climb as if you go into debt early it's a true house of pain trying to pedal up 15% + sections. managed the climb comfortably a workman like effort, descended down to Kinglake east for a pie and coffee, beautiful. then back down on KL road turning off and heading back inland to Strathewen again and back along dirt roads, overall we managed 75ks and about 1750 metres climbing. can't complain!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Am due for a mtb ride tomorrow but I get the feeling the YT's is still pretty wet? Looks like a CX ride is on the cards again?

jimspr

Likes Bikes
Am due for a mtb ride tomorrow but I get the feeling the YT's is still pretty wet? Looks like a CX ride is on the cards again?
Rode from the Veneto club out to Hans today. Avoided the usual wet areas. Lots of trees down where we removed the ones we could. Hans is generally good for the weather we have had.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am assuming the Paddock is pretty much a mud fest?
haven't been in there yes usually it's a week behind other ST, rode last night from Banksia to Pipe Bridge, dry ... fast with a few wet bits that are easy to dodge and a few new tree features on sections.

[edit] bit of rain around today....

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

Anyone ridden any of the tracks between the two boathouses or around that area? OK to ride or crappy?

Cheers,

Coaster

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Rode that area this morning. it's actually in decent dry condition. Ride out to the paddock and back to Abbotsford. The paddock has lots of big trees down blocking the path. Anyone own a chainsaw?

moorey

call me Mia
Anyone own a chainsaw?
anyone, who isn't a pasty faced, silk wearing, macchiato sipping poodle walker should own at least 2 chainsaws,...electric doesn't count.
I didn't think you could further disappoint me, cheezle...

That said, cold enough for you YT boys, even in balmy Melbourne?
Rode to work in a sleeting head wind yesterday. My forehead and eyebrows were so cold they felt like they were actually on fire. Temp was 0.9, but with a "feels like' of -5.3. I've ridden in much colder weather, but never FELT so cold. Love it. :high5:

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode that area this morning. it's actually in decent dry condition. Ride out to the paddock and back to Abbotsford. The paddock has lots of big trees down blocking the path. Anyone own a chainsaw?
I can help with that. Judging by the last time I headed into the paddock I reckon it could do with a break though.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
anyone, who isn't a pasty faced, silk wearing, macchiato sipping poodle walker should own at least 2 chainsaws,...electric doesn't count.
Pasty face - I have a nice tan right now so not me :)
Silk Wearing - not me - I aint a Hugh Hefner wannabe
macchiato sipping - I'm an espresso kinda guy
poodle walker - no dogs here

no chainsaws either :( no room in the garage!

I didn't think you could further disappoint me, cheezle...
I am always try ;-)

That said, cold enough for you YT boys, even in balmy Melbourne?
Rode to work in a sleeting head wind yesterday. My forehead and eyebrows were so cold they felt like they were actually on fire. Temp was 0.9, but with a
"feels like' of -5.3. I've ridden in much colder weather, but never FELT so cold. Love it. :high5:
Were you wearing short sleeves and stubby shorts?

moorey

call me Mia
Pasty face - I have a nice tan right now so not me :)
Silk Wearing - not me - I aint a Hugh Hefner wannabe
macchiato sipping - I'm an espresso kinda guy
poodle walker - no dogs here

no chainsaws either :( no room in the garage!

I am always try ;-)

Were you wearing short sleeves and stubby shorts?
Shorts'o'course. Tshirt and thin shell, but the face was the problem, particularly forehead/eyebrows. I thought my prime ministerial eyebrows would protect me. NOT!