Yarra Trails regulars

G-Rod

Squid
G'Day

Hi All,

Im from Brissie and will be spending the next 3 months in Melbourne because of work. I have brought my hard tail down and cannot wait to get some riding in down here because i have heard a lot of great things. I need to get some good rides in whilst i am down here because i have signed up for the Flight Centre EPIC in brissie which is in the month and not in the best of shape as i have just come back from overseas.

I have done some research and talking to the guys in the bike shop that are at the bottom of the apartments that I am staying in. Im staying in the CBD and unfortunately dont have a car to get to and from the trails. I have read some things about the Yarra Trail Networks and have some questions about it:
1. Are there any descent single track within the trail network that is within riding distance from the city. Some of the guys at work mentioned there are some off the trails in the boulavard region. PM me details if need be
2. Is there anyone/groups that rides from the city out there that i can ride with. PM your details if you want.
3. If anyone can give me any pointers and some direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunity i left my AyUps in brissie so night rides are out of the question for me atm until i go home to get them

I have already sussed out that i can get out to You Yangs by train and get off at Little River and ride to the main trailhead.

Is there any mode of public transport that i can take to get out to Lysterfield as i wouldnt mind checking out the Commonwealth Games trails

Thanks in Advance
Much Appreciated

Gianni

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Im from Brissie and will be spending the next 3 months in Melbourne because of work. I have brought my hard tail down and cannot wait to get some riding in down here because i have heard a lot of great things. I need to get some good rides in whilst i am down here because i have signed up for the Flight Centre EPIC in brissie which is in the month and not in the best of shape as i have just come back from overseas.

I have done some research and talking to the guys in the bike shop that are at the bottom of the apartments that I am staying in. Im staying in the CBD and unfortunately dont have a car to get to and from the trails. I have read some things about the Yarra Trail Networks and have some questions about it:
1. Are there any descent single track within the trail network that is within riding distance from the city. Some of the guys at work mentioned there are some off the trails in the boulavard region. PM me details if need be
2. Is there anyone/groups that rides from the city out there that i can ride with. PM your details if you want.
3. If anyone can give me any pointers and some direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunity i left my AyUps in brissie so night rides are out of the question for me atm until i go home to get them

I have already sussed out that i can get out to You Yangs by train and get off at Little River and ride to the main trailhead.

Is there any mode of public transport that i can take to get out to Lysterfield as i wouldnt mind checking out the Commonwealth Games trails

Thanks in Advance
Much Appreciated

Gianni
Mate welcome to Melbourne.

If you ride upstream from the city once you get to around Yarra Boulevard there is single track you can find along the Yarra trail most of the way out to past Fitzsimons Lane. Just past Fitzsimons Lane is Hans Loop which is a good ride. Riding from city out to and back would probably be a ~75 km ride. It fun to explore and pretty hard to get lost.

We are an anti social bunch around here, we just hang shit on each other online. I dont think there are any group rides as such but I am sure you will find someone to show you around. I am tied up this coming weekend but possibly week after head out if you are around.

I have always driven to Lysterfield but I think if you get the train to Tecoma Station on the Belgrave line you can probably ride from there.

FYI There are MTB crits under the west gate bridge Thursday @ 6:30pm which are close to city (need lights at the moment). If you interested hit up Full gas Peddlers on facebook for more info.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gianni - I might be able to show you around this weekend, problem is rain predicted and Yarra Trails are just drying out, so we'll see how it looks after tomorrow. I'll probably be out on Saturday afternoon, 1.30 onwards, maybe 40k.

G-Rod

Squid
Thanks

Mate welcome to Melbourne.

If you ride upstream from the city once you get to around Yarra Boulevard there is single track you can find along the Yarra trail most of the way out to past Fitzsimons Lane. Just past Fitzsimons Lane is Hans Loop which is a good ride. Riding from city out to and back would probably be a ~75 km ride. It fun to explore and pretty hard to get lost.

We are an anti social bunch around here, we just hang shit on each other online. I dont think there are any group rides as such but I am sure you will find someone to show you around. I am tied up this coming weekend but possibly week after head out if you are around.

I have always driven to Lysterfield but I think if you get the train to Tecoma Station on the Belgrave line you can probably ride from there.

FYI There are MTB crits under the west gate bridge Thursday @ 6:30pm which are close to city (need lights at the moment). If you interested hit up Full gas Peddlers on facebook for more info.

Thanks Rob for the information, its much appreciated. Hopefully it stays dry enough for a ride over the weekend.

Cheers
Gianni

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Apparently lots of trees down at present, incl about 6 on Bruces Loop
Correct - rode it Wednesday morning and had to stop numerous times to climb/scramble over some trees. Trees looked way to big for one person to clear. People have ridden around some blocked areas and created their own track.

There was one rather large puddle on a right hand berm near-ish the start but that was about the only wet area of real concern.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode the YTs for the first time in 4 weeks (Bell Bird to Banksia) and everything is mostly dry. A few puddles near Burke Rd and a lot of trees down between the paddock and Banksia St. A sharp saw and some elbow grease or a chainsaw will be required.

Managed to ride some quality trails whilst away from the YTs:
DSCN0847.jpgDSCN1078.jpgDSCN1079.jpg

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Big AC, you've just destroyed me. I've been suffering a lack of riding due to rain, wind and attitude and then you post that. Looks amazing. Very nice pics. Good riding?

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Thanks Rob for the information, its much appreciated. Hopefully it stays dry enough for a ride over the weekend.

Cheers
Gianni
The YT boys won't be off their win trainers until late October when the weather settles. It's a bit too wet , windy, muddy, cold, puddly &/or dark for them to ride the trails until then. In the meantime you can jump on a train and head up to Ballarat & ride with Moorey!

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
The YT boys won't be off their win trainers until late October when the weather settles. It's a bit too wet , windy, muddy, cold, puddly &/or dark for them to ride the trails until then. In the meantime you can jump on a train and head up to Ballarat & ride with Moorey!
G-Rod I should have warned you there are a bunch of hicks who live in the outskirts of Ballarat living in straw huts. They love to eat dick. They pretty harmless just jeolous they dont get to ride the YT. Just ignore them.