Yarra Trails regulars

JonH

Squid
Hey PB,

They are both 29ers, the Giant trance has 2013 mavic crossmax SLR's and the specialized has alloy control SL's which came with the bike. Thanks for keeping the eyes peeled wanna get them back if i can!,

cheers,

Jon

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A SG group ride sounds good. I ended up back at redesdale yesterday. Slow trip, clearing trees and shutting off a couple of new shortcuts. A few wet spots but not too bad, and the track is in pretty good nic. Should have taken the saw as theres still one tree hung up across the track. Great ride though and the same spot kicked my ass as usual.

nick1

Squid
Hi guys,
just started riding the yarra trails, getting on the main yarra trail near willsmere park, and riding the tracks around the paddock general area (I think). Is it better to head in towards the city from willsmere, or is most of the singletrack further out? Might do a bit of exploring tomorrow, but any pointers would be much appreciated.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Jon if I see anyone with your bikes ill drag them to annulus billabong, gaffa tape the culprit to a tree nude and let JD's boys do the rest. A fate worse than death.......

On a lighter note I rode the new trail near the jumps track at Burke rd today. It still needs bedding in as a lot if it is mowed grass so everyone get out there and ride it. It's quite tight but fun.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys,
just started riding the yarra trails, getting on the main yarra trail near willsmere park, and riding the tracks around the paddock general area (I think). Is it better to head in towards the city from willsmere, or is most of the singletrack further out? Might do a bit of exploring tomorrow, but any pointers would be much appreciated.
Head upstream my friend! While you can head down from there the best and most consistent riding is upstream. Go under Banksia and ride the path until you get to the tennis courts, then head right through the gate, and do 2 more turns to the right. You want to end up Dropped pin near Main Yarra Trail, Heidelberg VIC 3084 http://goo.gl/maps/mRQt2

You can then hit ST up to Westerfolds and beyond.

Good luck!

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
quick question on direction guys..

I live near the abbots ford area and been riding yarra trails a bit.. right through to Heidelberg via the tennis courts and onto the single track.
Once i get to the end of the single track its near a carpark (near templestowe) Im not sure where to go next, as you go through the gates then its a paved path on the otherside. Ive ridden up to the left and see there is bridge but not sure where to go.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
quick question on direction guys..

I live near the abbots ford area and been riding yarra trails a bit.. right through to Heidelberg via the tennis courts and onto the single track.
Once i get to the end of the single track its near a carpark (near templestowe) Im not sure where to go next, as you go through the gates then its a paved path on the otherside. Ive ridden up to the left and see there is bridge but not sure where to go.
Morkz - at that bridge you could go right, cross the bridge and turn in before the garden centre. There are a few short loops in there - go explore. Or head under the bridge and stay on the bike path till you get to the newly built children playground and sports fields - take the trail to the right at the playground and follow it around till you get to a fence on your right - head through and you will soon see ST on your right. Follow it as it caresses the Yarra north. You often come back onto the main trail - keep your eyes peeled for ST - go explore - you cant get lost, maybe bitten by a tiger snake or accosted by a leather clad gheylord

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
thanks for the heads up...

will explore more, i did go over the bridge last time but couldnt find any single track or loops.. i better look harder..

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Further to JD's directions.

After going under Fitzsimmons lane on the bike path there is a carpark on your right (this part is near Templestowe so I’m guessing this is where you are getting to), look left and you’ll see what looks like a fire road which turns into ST pretty quickly. Take this to the end and you will run into the now gravel bike path. Go straight across the bike path and ride up the ST to the ST cross road (or turn left on the bike path and ride up the ST on your right if the ST straight across the bike path is a mess because of the water from the leaky dam). This is the start of Hans Loop (5km+ of ST).

There is more ST upstream from Hans loop (you can go all the way round to the Koonung bike path).

jimspr

Likes Bikes
There is more ST upstream from Hans loop (you can go all the way round to the Koonung bike path).
I have ridden most of the single track from Fairfied Boat House to Hans Loop, however, past that I'm not sure. If there was to be a YT group ride, could we possibly do the areas beyond Hans to the Koonung bike path as Big AC has described?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
How do you get through to the Koonung bike path? I've tried a few times and always run out of path. The only way I could do it was riding through some streets and along Springvale road. Not ideal IMO.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
PB and others, here is how to get from Tindals Rd / Old Warrandyte Rd through to the Koonung bike path (I’m guessing that people can get to Tindals Rd on the bike path or fire roads).

Don’t blame me if you get in trouble for being somewhere your not meant to be (you’ll probably be fine).

At Tindals you have few options for the next section and this bit involves the most stuffing around.

1) When facing Tindals Rd turn right and ride across the bridge over the Mullum Mullum creek. Straight after crossing the creek, cross Tindals Rd. You’ll see a high chicken wire fence for the construction area where they are building the new bike path. Where the chicken wire fence ends right next to Tindals Rd there is the low metal road barrier, step over this and head down towards the creek (you should be south of Tindals and west of the creek now – look at it on Google maps and you’ll see what I mean). From here follow the creek upstream, there a white stakes in the ground where the new bike path will go and ST so you can follow these. There are two small creeks to cross, dry when I last went through. The white stakes will eventually stop, look carefully and you see the ST heading towards the creek. Once at the creek look upstream and you’ll see a wooden bridge in the middle of nowhere across the creek. Climb up onto the bridge (the end is blocked off; however, the sides aren’t very high) and cross it, jump the gate at the other end and then follow the seal bike path to Park Rd.

2) When at Tindals go straight across and down Raymond Elliot Ct, turn onto Tralee ct and go to the end (again, Google maps). There is a grassed area between the road and creek, head upstream on the grass right next to the creek until you reach the trees / scrubs. There is a track through the scrubs next to the creek (you’ll have to walk through) which will eventually come out in the open land below power lines. Ride up the fire road until it splits and take the fork heading downhill. This fire road will end at a closed gate, jump it and you will be on the sealed bike path mentioned above, take it to Park Rd.

3) Haven’t tried this one, however, it might be ok, When at Tindals go straight across and up Raymond Elliot Ct. Look for the high voltage power lines and find a way to get into the open land underneath them. After this follow the fire road steps of number 2.

Not sure it you are meant to be in the area under the powerlines; however, I think that you will be ok.

At Park Rd. Cross the road, turn right and head up the hill. The bike path goes left and down the hill, ignore it. Look on the left for an entrance with a metal gate across it saying “Trespasses will be prosecuted” – this vehicle path goes behind the ovals of Whitefriars College and no one is going to arrest you whilst you are technically on their land for 15 seconds. Take the track and go behind the ovals, the ST goes down the embankment to the left and into the trees, if you are going fast down the track behind the ovals you might miss it (the ST goes off at 90 degrees to the vehicle track). Take this ST all the way to Heads Rd.

At Heads Rd turn left onto the road and cross the creek. You will see the new sealed bike path on your right heading upstream. You can ride this almost all of the way to the Koonung bike path (there is ST between the path and the creek so look out for the ST entrance). The last part where the new bike path ends is an open grassed area, cross this and you’ll see the Koonung path down next the creek. There is a well worn track down to the path.

From here the Mullum Mullum ST close by so enjoy.

Long post I know; however, the directions above should get you through.

samlu

Likes Bikes
Anyone riding Yarra trails or Lysterfield today? I'm keen to go for a ride but not familiar with the area. Cheers