Yarra Trails regulars

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so you're talking about single track that goes directly off the boulie crit loop, it looks like you can drop straight down (more a mini cliff) however you need to go left and around. the drop straight down is rideable but scares riders cause its lose at the bottom and you have to be really back on the seat to be successful and all this has to happen with no warning.

if you ride off the boulie the line takes you down that, suspect some DH guys have been pumping down it.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
so you're talking about single track that goes directly off the boulie crit loop, it looks like you can drop straight down (more a mini cliff) however you need to go left and around. the drop straight down is rideable but scares riders cause its lose at the bottom and you have to be really back on the seat to be successful and all this has to happen with no warning.

if you ride off the boulie the line takes you down that, suspect some DH guys have been pumping down it.
I don't think russ is talking about that bit as the instagram pic is more west.

You can definitely drop straight down that "mini cliff". The option to go left and around is now a bit easier as the tree on the corner appears to have been pruned back a bit.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well I could see 2 little image squares on map and know that cliff is near start of crits. otherwise he's talking about the area with some drop ins behind dights falls.

anyway because mtb usually involves low speed crashes its your typical banged up elbows, knees and worst of all ego.

sometimes I have to say I love a good crash getting up dusting yourself off and thinking now what did I learn from that?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The other thing I love about the Yarra, Even though I've ridden it for years stuff keeps popping up! Will be checking it out.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other thing I love about the Yarra, Even though I've ridden it for years stuff keeps popping up! Will be checking it out.
there's a better one than that, on crit road head around the loop about 50 metres (drop in behind a fence) there's the knarlyiest bit of single track that weaves along the cliff line with a nice steep descent to finish. I've even tried going up it and got about 3/4s up. first part st dips up and down, don't stuff it up otherwise you'll have some single track named in your honor.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
there's a better one than that, on crit road head around the loop about 50 metres (drop in behind a fence) there's the knarlyiest bit of single track that weaves along the cliff line with a nice steep descent to finish. I've even tried going up it and got about 3/4s up. first part st dips up and down, don't stuff it up otherwise you'll have some single track named in your honor.
Yup that's the bit I was referring too :)
But I ride it the other way ....ie climbing up that steep section....I have only cleared a handful of times.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
well I could see 2 little image squares on map and know that cliff is near start of crits. otherwise he's talking about the area with some drop ins behind dights falls.

ahh I was not looking hard enough - I only saw the instgram square to the west. Didn't see the one near the mini cliff - my bad :smow:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahh I was not looking hard enough - I only saw the instgram square to the west. Didn't see the one near the mini cliff - my bad :smow:
yes well wouldn't want to fall down that one. if you hit it in too big a gear your downward legs steers you off the the edge. kudos for getting up that steep climb.

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
yes well wouldn't want to fall down that one. if you hit it in too big a gear your downward legs steers you off the the edge. kudos for getting up that steep climb.
Yes the first part of the climb is manageable. Near the top there is rather tight left with some rocks and loose gravel that really requires the perfect line as it's pretty tight!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode down from the hills through mullum mullum to westerfolds and back this morning. Great day for it. Stuffed around with seat height, swapped stems around and settled on a 70mm, generally dicked about with shock and fork pressures. A few folk even slowed to offer a hand. Awesome morning.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kew Boulie shit is still happening....

A mate riding into town got two tacks today near Johnston St bridge- instant blowout at 40 km/h , split rim etc........bastards!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Speaking of the Boullie I noticed something on all the cycling signs so stopped to check it out.

Taped to every cycling sign is a tube with a @cyclingkarma sticker. I found the details on Facebook and looks like something organized by the Hells500 and donated by The Freedom Machine. Not only are there tubes but there's also emergency first aid kits.
So the idea is if you use a tube you replace it as soon as you can. Or if you use something out of the first aid kit you let them know so they can replace it. They actually prefer if you replace the tubes with your old repaired tube rather than a new one, as long as it's usable. Great idea. Let's stand together and show these pricks we're not going away.
They have also placed tubes on the 1:20, Arthur's Seat and Mt Donna Buang.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Speaking of the Boullie I noticed something on all the cycling signs so stopped to check it out.

Taped to every cycling sign is a tube with a @cyclingkarma sticker. I found the details on Facebook and looks like something organized by the Hells500 and donated by The Freedom Machine. Not only are there tubes but there's also emergency first aid kits.
So the idea is if you use a tube you replace it as soon as you can. Or if you use something out of the first aid kit you let them know so they can replace it. They actually prefer if you replace the tubes with your old repaired tube rather than a new one, as long as it's usable. Great idea. Let's stand together and show these pricks we're not going away.
They have also placed tubes on the 1:20, Arthur's Seat and Mt Donna Buang.
This sort of thing makes me feel like such a selfish prick.

Kudos to all involved.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tubes, that's been going on for a few months now, I've noticed they're usually gone so plenty of riders still getting flats, on a positive lots still riding boulie and have seen other riders stopping to offer help, so brings out the best in humanity.