Yarra Trails regulars

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okie dokie. Well going by the mood here then it may be time to revisit the whole issue. If nothing else, perhaps this 6hr enduro has precipitated good discussion.
I agree mate and feel excited by the discussion. Happy trails on the weekend. :)

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I think maybe you are missing something George. Many would be happy for trails of the calibre of Buxton or You yangs in the area. LDTR are doing some good stuff at Lysty atm too..

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I think maybe you are missing something George. Many would be happy for trails of the calibre of Buxton or You yangs in the area. LDTR are doing some good stuff at Lysty atm too..
You must keep in mind where those other MTB parks are located, what the historical use of the land was and the proximity of homes. What we have is essentially a narrow strip along the river and the minute we fight for a pocket then that's what we will end up with. I can't see any sense of journey in doing laps of a pocket of groomed MTB trails - but heck that's why we get away and ride in the bush.

So, why don't we organise a meeting of interested parties and get our shit together - before we gob off to anyone else?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I would be more than happy to help in any way but have an agenda/ vision/ plan just like the rest of you.

I do not want groomed MTB trails anywhere along the Yarra and would not support Dirt Art or Glen Jacobs build. I do not want to have a designated area with everything else lost. Its been mentioned in the past- the beauty of the Yarra trails is that they can be accessed from home or the CBD and it is a journey rather than a destination.

I do not agree with the theory that trails should be natural and ridden in the extreme wet. I believe that trails should be closed or diverted to limit impact. I believe trails can be fortified to handle traffic and water without loosing the natural element. I would like to build some new trails out there- like a flowing trail down the powerlines. I am not a fan of big berms but some small ones would be great. I would also like to see a few technical features built as well.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I would be more than happy to help in any way but have an agenda/ vision/ plan just like the rest of you.

I do not want groomed MTB trails anywhere along the Yarra and would not support Dirt Art or Glen Jacobs build. I do not want to have a designated area with everything else lost. Its been mentioned in the past- the beauty of the Yarra trails is that they can be accessed from home or the CBD and it is a journey rather than a destination.

I do not agree with the theory that trails should be natural and ridden in the extreme wet. I believe that trails should be closed or diverted to limit impact. I believe trails can be fortified to handle traffic and water without loosing the natural element. I would like to build some new trails out there- like a flowing trail down the powerlines. I am not a fan of big berms but some small ones would be great. I would also like to see a few technical features built as well.
Okay, so we're getting stuff on the table.

Regarding wet trails and closing them. The way this has worked over the past several years is that a *proper* landscape architect is brought in to report when we are concerned about the state of the trails. We then ride the trails with one of the rangers to photograph and confirm the action required. During the last big wet we were asked to block the diversion at the pesky leaking dam that people had cut. Everything else was open.

What I'm seeing here is that the one thing that anyone involved must be open to is the advice and decisions of people who have the qualifications and authority to decide. That's the only way to deal with individuals who prefer decisions that are different.

The way new trails have been cut in recent years is that we plan the proposed route with one of the rangers, it's mapped and then the slasher goes through. We ride it often and then when ready open either end and that section suddenly appears. There's not much romance in it.

The powerline section is begging for flowing trail but that soil is difficult to work with to deliver sustainable trail. It's been looked at in the past.

Berms would be fun as would opportunities for safe air.

I have other plans for developing new trail but perhaps better discussed with a core group of enthusiasts who are prepared to work. Digging is the easy bit. With just yours and James' requirements there's already conflict. Add my histroy and it becomes more clouded and polarised. Charlie wants another Buxton. Some want a fast race trail, others technical.

If we continue to work towards a long corridor along the Yarra then there's every chance that we can achieve it all - and already have in many respects. Conversely, if we are going to make any noise about developing Candlebark into an MTB park then the danger is that we get what we wish for. So we really really do need to have our shit together.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
agreed- get our collective shit together

I personally am more than happy to take direction from those with experience. Once again I do not want to see groomed, overly designed trails along the Yarra- either does Charlie. As for the power line- that approach is spot on- rarely is trail building romantic

Lets organise a gathering in the New year to see if we can collaborate and share the stakeholder engagement with a common and consistent voice.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good conversation.

I'm happy to meet and discuss face to face over a coffee or 3. There's nothing romantic about an MTB park, it's just that I don't think it can all be official i.e. from Collingwood to Beazleys. The realist in me says we have to give something up.

Candlebark and the terrain towards Beazley's has heaps of potential. The land to the west of the power-lines is prime MTB real estate. :)

I think the trails shouldn't be closed in the wet, but signage encouraging people to stay off when muddy would go a long way. Most seasoned MTB folk know enough about trashing the trail. It's the newbies that unwittingly ride in the slop and the YTs get newbies galore. Diversions could be offered as options. Most people want to do the right thing!

I don't like overly groomed trails (hell most of my riding this year was at Smiths!), but we're not doing enough with what we have in Templestowe.

I believe in rock armoring to help trails cope with the wear and tear. Part of the challenge of maintaining the YTs is b/c there's so much trail spread over 5 suburbs. It's a logistical nightmare; then again some of it exists on flat land i.e. no run off. Not much can be done to make those trails sustainable.

I agree that the Lysterfield group is slowly but surely making progress. I wasn't so impressed when a few years ago they wanted to make a claim on Candlebark. :)

EDIT: I'd be over the moon if we were to get a landscape architect involved to provide us with a start.

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt
Good conversation.

I'm happy to meet and discuss face to face over a coffee or 3. There's nothing romantic about an MTB park, it's just that I don't think it can all be official i.e. from Collingwood to Beazleys. The realist in me says we have to give something up.
The You Yangs are almost as accessible as Hans for people living/working in the city. I agree with George that confining bikes to a short loop way out east would miss the point of the YTs.

Apparently it is quite possible to formally recognise the entire network, but the process involved would be slow and there is no political will.

Have you talked to anybody above Parks George? The new local member has his hands full right now, but might be worth a chat in the new year?

Beej1

...it's just that I don't think it can all be official i.e. from Collingwood to Beazleys.
I think it may not happen either. Especially around the boathouses. But man it would be awesome if it was.

I don't like overly groomed trails (hell most of my riding this year was at Smiths!)
Obviously not the formerly narrow but now overly well groomed parts ☺

Anyway, I've always wanted to try that cafe in the apple orchard (the one upstream from Candlebark). Perhaps a ride 'n chat over the Xmas break? George, JD and co? Up for that?

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it may not happen either. Especially around the boathouses. But man it would be awesome if it was.

Obviously not the formerly narrow but now overly well groomed parts ☺

Anyway, I've always wanted to try that cafe in the apple orchard (the one upstream from Candlebark). Perhaps a ride 'n chat over the Xmas break? George, JD and co? Up for that?
I've ridden that pebble bit 3 times tops. :) my rides there are usually around sugarloaf and happy valley.

A coffee sounds great. I'm in. I'm yet to meet JD so it would be killing 2 birds w the same stone.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I'd be happy to get together. The coffee is good at the orchard. My comment about Buxton and YY was about the quality and sustainability of the trails not building a park like them.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'd be happy to get together. The coffee is good at the orchard. My comment about Buxton and YY was about the quality and sustainability of the trails not building a park like them.
I knew what you meant mate

I am free to get together the weekend of the 3/ 4th January. I can meet you at the Orchard Café- no riding for me for a while.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Sunday 4th is good, 10am?
Excellent. First one in at the cafe see if you can grab one of the big tables please. Preferably the one furthest from the cafe so that we lessen the chances of being overheard discussing trails. This isn't the most private of places to chat but a terrific venue to meet, relax and then ride. I'll bring a draft copy of plans for the area.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Excellent. First one in at the cafe see if you can grab one of the big tables please. Preferably the one furthest from the cafe so that we lessen the chances of being overheard discussing trails. This isn't the most private of places to chat but a terrific venue to meet, relax and then ride. I'll bring a draft copy of plans for the area.
Gee, you don't get on the 'burn for a few days and miss the opening days of a revolution.

I'm keen to be involved also. I have in the past met up with George to look at plans for trails on the western side, have met JD and discussed the need for some sort of review of the existing trail where it has clearly suffering significant decline (principally the upper switch back and dam area) and, like Jim I joined Warrandyte MTB with the hope that they might take on some level of governance and trail ownership of the eastern end of the YT and in particular Hans. They have big plans for Warrandyte State Park and are sensible in restricting their focus to match available resourcing.

My "maintenance" contribution has been restricted to clearing fallen timber and large loose stones/ rocks from the trail thus far but are happy to contribute to an agreed planned and more strategic approach.

So, Jan 4, 10am at the organic cafe then.

redbruce

Eats Squid
As a regular user of the park (candle bark and westerfolds), a stakeholder you could say, like 101 said my concerns are the sustainability of the trails for an event like a 6hr race. Being a small loop having a few hundred bikes going round and round for 6 hrs will do more damage on the trails than bigger loops or point to point races
I'm going to write to the event organiser and PV to see if there is any plan
There are a few sections that are fucked already (switch backs and dam drop) and would need diversion or work prior to an event like this
Warrandyte mtb club would be the closest and logical group for PV to engage long term I would think in a similar arrangement to PG. Whether they want to is another thing
Warrandyte MTB are promoting the event to their members.

Clearly two views on this.

Last edited: