Yarra Trails regulars

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Commuter Cycles shop ride leaves the west end of the pipe bridge (= bluestone wall?) 7pm Wednesday nights. Usually a very varied mix of bikes, from duallies through CX to SS. They usually head all the way out on ST to Hans for a loop, then return via gravel/tarmac.
That's a decent haul, how many klicks is the round trip?

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Regarding reporting info re tacks on the yarra boulie you can contact

Paul PALIAGA

D/S/C 33031

Boroondara Criminal Investigation Unit

34 Harp Rd

Kew 3101

Phone:8851-1155

paul.paliaga@police.vic.gov.au

They monitoring twitter (not that i use that) #boulietacks

On the theme of group rides, dies anyone now of a group ride on Mondays 5.30ish onwards? Or Thursdays any time?
Really keen to start riding with others, as I ride 90% on my lonesome....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
On the theme of group rides, dies anyone now of a group ride on Mondays 5.30ish onwards? Or Thursdays any time?
Really keen to start riding with others, as I ride 90% on my lonesome....
Perhaps your username slow and useless is isolating you. You've picked the two evenings I know of zero group rides.
Why don't you put it out there and see if you can start your own.

I would be happy to ride with ya mate but can't commit to an evening

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
That's a decent haul, how many klicks is the round trip?
From the Commuter Cycles shop (where they depart 6:30) its about 60 clicks return if they do Hans. But as I said, the return leg is pretty much all gravel/mainly tarmac, so its not as huge as it seems... And the outbound leg doesn't utilize all the ST available, for times and sanity sake. Usually back at High St Northcote 9:45-10pm?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Ride for Parkinsons Event is go

Righto you lot.

I hear your concerns about an event at Hans and let me tell you- Stu from R4P, Warrandyte MBC and a few loyal RB regulars are on to it. As George said, this is a great opportunity to highlight MTBing @ Candlebark, to proactively engage with Parks and most importantly step up and show what we can do as a collective. This isnt just in relation to the R4P event but gives us the opportunity to establish a plan/ stratagy for the future of the trails in the area. Building relationships and trust is half the battle- we need to put our best foot forward.

Parks rangers, Stu and George will all walk through the course and detail areas of concern and course route in the coming days. From there we will coordinate working bees pre event to fortify and manage event impact. There will be trail fairy prescence during the event and an assessment post event to retify any damage. Also the event team will cap the number of entrants to limit impact, have a wet weather plan in place and have Parks support.

I dont need to tell you that this is a fund raising event for a very worthy cause and your support and entry would be so apprieciated. We all have concerns because we care about this amazing resource so I ask that you please trust that there are many people engaged and proactively working to ensure it is a successful, fun and responsible event.

So what can you do?
1. Have some faith and give us your support
2. Enter the event, form a team or go it alone.
3. help at a working bee- dates and times will be posted ASAP
4. volunteer your time on the day to marshal or be a roving fairy. This is what I will be doing (dont laugh).
5. i will thing of something.......................

I personally dont like formal group events, large gatherings of people or having to be overly pleasent for long periods so it is unlikely that i will ever enter a MTB event but that shouldn't stop you. All you strava loving, group shop riding hipsters, XC whippets, SSers, bearded fixie types and Euro enduro Yarra Regs get involved will ya!

Will keep you all posted

Your ex- Dicktator

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I'll be happy to help if I'm available on the right days.
Just hold that thought for a bit Sundy.

We'll be building a register of enthusiasts who are able to assist with logistics and labour along the whole Yarra Trail corridor. A couple of things to tidy up first before it's launched but not long now.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
All you strava loving, group shop riding hipsters, XC whippets, SSers, bearded fixie types and Euro enduro Yarra Regs get involved will ya!
This bit is important - the event is also aimed at encouraging riders who have never competed in an MTB race before and I think the perfect opportunity to dip the toe in and have a go. It is amazing how motivating it can be from the moment you hit the submit button on your entry to a race.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Ill be away with family at the time of the race but will be helping with working bees before and after the event. It's definitely an opportunity to put something back into the trails and a good cause

The long grass & overhangs between the pipe bridge & the Studley Park boathouse were starting to get pretty rowdy & messing up the sight lines, so since I'd had to can racing at Falls Creek I thought I'd get out for an early cruise & a tidy up since it was such a beautiful morning to be on the trails. Cutting back the tussocks of grass in that stretch of riverside ST between the stairs down from the boulie & Studley Park boathouse I found a Lezyne rear light a multi-tool. Found in different areas in that section of ST, but neither of them looked like they'd been there particularly long so. If anyone thinks either the items might be theirs please PM me with a model/description & I'll get them back to you.

Southern end of the YTs is running beautifully at the moment so get out amongst it! Have a ripper Aus Day weekend.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
The long grass & overhangs between the pipe bridge & the Studley Park boathouse were starting to get pretty rowdy & messing up the sight lines, so since I'd had to can racing at Falls Creek I thought I'd get out for an early cruise & a tidy up since it was such a beautiful morning to be on the trails. Cutting back the tussocks of grass in that stretch of riverside ST between the stairs down from the boulie & Studley Park boathouse I found a Lezyne rear light a multi-tool. Found in different areas in that section of ST, but neither of them looked like they'd been there particularly long so. If anyone thinks either the items might be theirs please PM me with a model/description & I'll get them back to you.

Southern end of the YTs is running beautifully at the moment so get out amongst it! Have a ripper Aus Day weekend.
Thanks heaps Shake. I've been riding that section on my commute home for a few weeks and last night thought ' that's it, next ride I'm bringing something to cut all this back'. I look forward to not bringing home an armful of grass seeds. Cheers.

Thanks heaps Shake. I've been riding that section on my commute home for a few weeks and last night thought ' that's it, next ride I'm bringing something to cut all this back'. I look forward to not bringing home an armful of grass seeds. Cheers.
Hahaha- it was a boxthorn-in-shins-while-grass-seed-whips-at-my-eyes moment on Wed arvo that was the clincher for me. Only slashed back the encroaching stretches of long tussocks on high side of the ST & neatly pruned back a few problematic spots. Had actually been waiting for all the heads to brown right off before cutting it back just so I could shake all the seed along the fall side- evidently I succeeded in creating a banquet for the birds. It'll certainly be much easier to see through a couple of those corners now without the head-high grass obscuring the trail direction & outreaching foliage in your face.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Hahaha- it was a boxthorn-in-shins-while-grass-seed-whips-at-my-eyes moment on Wed arvo that was the clincher for me. Only slashed back the encroaching stretches of long tussocks on high side of the ST & neatly pruned back a few problematic spots. Had actually been waiting for all the heads to brown right off before cutting it back just so I could shake all the seed along the fall side- evidently I succeeded in creating a banquet for the birds. It'll certainly be much easier to see through a couple of those corners now without the head-high grass obscuring the trail direction & outreaching foliage in your face.
I've been trimming branches and moving falling trees from Burnley St to Chandler but there is still more to do. There was huge fallen branch on the single track heading down toward the Royal Talbot. I pretty much had to deadlifts the branches to break them and get them of the trail...haha. Better than have everyone go around it and create an unnecessary line. The trails are in great condition at the moment. I don't get past Burke road that often but seeing as I'm riding everything the city side 3 or 4 times a week it's about time I did my share of maintenance.

The other reason I want to clear the tall grass is last week I had a bird fly out of a tussock and hit my back wheel. I looked back and his wing was pretty messed up and he couldn't fly. An immediate internal debate started about whether I should put it out of its misery or not. It may have been the wrong decision but I went back to do it and it hopped down the side of the cliff out of reach and was not going to let me get near him. I'm glad the decision was taken away from me but shit, that was a somber ride home. Felt pretty bad.