Yarra Trails regulars

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Running

Definitely family day out there today. I ran (yeah, yeah, I'm bimodal - get over it) from SPBH to FairfieldBH with my wife about 1.30pm. Only saw one rider out, but must have passed at least 10 couples/groups/families on the ST.

The trimming is definitely appreciated, and the difference is quite notable from the areas that are trimmed to those that aren't. I ran and rode the Andrew's Reserve to SPBH about ten days ago, and also felt that the trails were definitely developing a riverwards slope. There is some much more noticeable erosion on a couple of the retaining boards than what I have seen over the last 2-3 years. I don't think we're at the stage of recutting, but I do wonder about backfilling.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think some rotorburn helmet badges would be handy as I was out in the area at about 1ish for a quick whizz out. Very good conditions and nice quiet roads.
in the meantime, grab a paint pen and emblazon your rotorburn name on the back of your helmet :thumb:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Trails are looking better each day. Did you clear more again this morning Shake ? I recon I said g'day to you at the top of the boulevard crit coarse (monument loop ? ) after work a few weeks ago. I'm either on a green Surly 1x1, Trek Fuel ex 26er, Trek Superfly FS 9 (black, bidon cage on the seat post) or from next week a Trek Fuel EX 9 29er. Typically in shorts and a t-shirt, black peaked helmet. Happy to stop and chat to any of you blokes if we cross paths.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Ah, MelbRob, that was me. Makes sense now that you told me there was one more coming (your wife). At the time I thought 'must be a rider'...haha.

Yeah, did a few bits & pieces just to tidy up. It's possible our paths have crossed up at Monument loop as I tend to start from that end. Always up for a pow-wow. Would be worthwhile to organise another fun social roll for the southern YT riders to convene & venture upriver to meet up with the northern brothers & sisters. Am sure BigJD, Charliedontsurf & co would be interested in facilitating/mobilising a few heads from up that end.

I ride a greyish Trek ( don't hate me) hardtail. Rockin' the lycra so the chicks can check out my arse.
No hate from this black duck, Pastavore, especially if you're out having fun & enjoying the YTs. I reserve my hate for the pigs who put their bush doofs on in the middle of Monument Loop flattening the surrounding scrub & leaving their rubbish everywhere (done many a clean up for that pack of mongrels over the last couple of years), general abusers, & likewise riders who use the YTs & throw their GU/energy bar wrappers trailside! Oh, & my number 1 pet hate for the YTs- riders & fairies who carry on with their misguided territorial pissings in a manner that not only highlights their ignorance & blinker vision but also their waif-thin attempts at concealing their personal agenda, to the detriment of the greater YT cycling community & our great network of trails. Otherwise, it's nothing but love.

Last edited:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Yeah, did a few bits & pieces just to tidy up. It's possible our paths have crossed up at Monument loop as I tend to start from that end. Always up for a pow-wow. Would be worthwhile to organise another fun social roll for the southern YT riders to convene & venture upriver to meet up with the northern brothers & sisters. Am sure BigJD, Charliedontsurf & co would be interested in facilitating/mobilising a few heads from up that end.

No hate from this black duck, Pastavore, especially if you're out having fun & enjoying the YTs. I reserve my hate for the pigs who put their bush doofs on in the middle of Monument Loop flattening the surrounding scrub & leaving their rubbish everywhere (done many a clean up for that pack of mongrels over the last couple of years), general abusers, & likewise riders who use the YTs & throw their GU/energy bar wrappers trailside! Oh, & my number 1 pet hate for the YTs- riders & fairies who carry on with their misguided territorial pissings in a manner that not only highlights their ignorance & blinker vision but also their waif-thin attempts at concealing their personal agenda, to the detriment of the greater YT cycling community & our great network of trails. Otherwise, it's nothing but love.
Thought so. The clearing of the western descent onto the boulevard behind Royal Talbot looks good. Will be interesting to see how it hold up in winter. Is the spot you had concerns over in an earlier post ? I'd be up for a cruise to Hans so we can catch up with JD, Charlie and co anytime. Would be great to put a face to some names here. Was keen to get to the last meeting you guys organized but work got in the way. Regarding the free spirited litter bugs, I'm furious at how much shit gets left behind in there. Saw a couple spray painting a van at the entrance gate there last week. Interesting. I'll keep my ideas and thoughts to private messages with you and those who are willing to listen. There's a bit to much butting of keyboard keys going on here for me sometimes. I am way to lazy to have back up every sentence that's gets picked apart and misread.
Pastavore, if you're worried about getting hate for your Trek then I more than just put my foot in it

Thought so. The clearing of the western descent onto the boulevard behind Royal Talbot looks good. Will be interesting to see how it hold up in winter. Is the spot you had concerns over in an earlier post ? I'd be up for a cruise to Hans so we can catch up with JD, Charlie and co anytime. Would be great to put a face to some names here. Was keen to get to the last meeting you guys organized but work got in the way. Regarding the free spirited litter bugs, I'm furious at how much shit gets left behind in there. Saw a couple spray painting a van at the entrance gate there last week. Interesting. I'll keep my ideas and thoughts to private messages with you and those who are willing to listen. There's a bit to much butting of keyboard keys going on here for me sometimes. I am way to lazy to have back up every sentence that's gets picked apart and misread.
Pastavore, if you're worried about getting hate for your Trek then I more than just put my foot in it
Yep, that spot behind Royal Talbot is the one I'd expressed my concerns over earlier on. The monument loop certainly gets all kinds & what my eyes have seen over the years sadly cannot be unseen- dudes spraying dudes; chicks spraying chicks; nudists sun baking; couples clearly affair-fucking; trippers losing their minds; run-away kids & down-on-their-luck people camped out; cars torched; found a litter of abandoned pups in a box circa 08; a complete & picture perfect lounge room setting carefully arranged in the bush at the bottom of the monument descent; a 'wailing' circle of a dozen men & women. The works. Definitely a colourful corner of the YTs.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Nah, I'm just playing. To me, trek=armstrong, and I am most definitely not a fan.

But I am a tightarse, and my trek was cheap.
Fair enough, I feel like about certain brands. I don't following cycling as a sport so I only know him as someone that does a pretty good job of making himself look like a total a-hole.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I gotta say when I see a fuel ex, superfly, remedy or stache on the trails.I don't think of Lance at all. They are good bikes from A big company. I ride a couple of Giants. I don't have the coin to buy the bikes I want the most.
I'm keen to hook up for a ride as someone mentioned earlier. I work shift work but am out on the trails 2-3 times a week

Last edited:

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Ah, MelbRob, that was me. Makes sense now that you told me there was one more coming (your wife). At the time I thought 'must be a rider'...haha.
Oops, I need to change it to 'One more runner' then. I know what a pain in the arse it is when you move aside for someone, and just when you take off, someone else appears. I generally try to let people know how many more are coming, running or riding.

Nah, I'm just playing. To me, trek=armstrong, and I am most definitely not a fan.

But I am a tightarse, and my trek was cheap.
This I can relate to. I ride a ....... Shit, I literally just had to go check (well send my son to the garage to check)...... A Kona. Means nothing to me, but it was cheap..ish, and I'm having fun on it.

I gotta say when I see a fuel ex, superfly, remedy or stache on the trails.I don't think of Lance at all. They are good bikes from A big company. I ride a couple of Giants. I don't have the coin to buy the bikes I want the most.
I'm keen to hook up for a ride as someone mentioned earlier. I work shift work but am out on the trails 2-3 times a week
I'd be keen for a ride as well. Not fast, not skilled, but I am interested to know what's out there as far as trails go. At this stage I have every other Monday and Friday off.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Oops, I need to change it to 'One more runner' then. I know what a pain in the arse it is when you move aside for someone, and just when you take off, someone else appears. I generally try to let people know how many more are coming, running or riding.

This I can relate to. I ride a ....... Shit, I literally just had to go check (well send my son to the garage to check)...... A Kona. Means nothing to me, but it was cheap..ish, and I'm having fun on it.

I'd be keen for a ride as well. Not fast, not skilled, but I am interested to know what's out there as far as trails go. At this stage I have every other Monday and Friday off.
I do the same mate. I do find that I'm always quick to pull over and let others pass. Just easier than going though the whole 'am I stopping ? Are you stopping' to and fro. I always stop for walkers even if they wave me through I make a point to let them go past me. Easier for a walker or runner to get past a stationary bike on a narrow trail than vise versa. Regarding not knowing or caring what you ride, there is something to admire in that. We can all get caught up in the fancy gear but at the end of the day we all love to get on the dirt. I couldn't even tell you what half of my mates ride. You've got the right attitude mate.

Pm either me or Shakes with your details and we'll try to organize a ride.

Last edited:
Plus one for a social ride if its going ahead. I ride from abbotsford a few times a week albeit slowly....
(When it is finally sorted out at the shop, I will also be on a trek superfly! I love it)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Northern tour

I am happy to host our brothers and sisters from the Southern Chapter of the YTA for a tour of the Northern sector

Could do an evening or weekend- but not this weekend.

Anyone local let me know if you have a good quality kids bike for a 4 and 7 year old- they have grown out of theirs. PM me thanks.