Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
this evenings Tour De Yarra

Im doing a run of the Yarra trails from the city through to Bonds Rd. I will be the tall beefie handsome bloke on a black Yeti hard tail with the widest bars in the world and should be in the Park across the walkbridge at the end of Gipps Street around 5:30. If you are around lets hook up for a ride.

Oh and dont be alarmed when you see me- I tore my pants on the ride in today, I dont usually ride in the nude.

Last edited:

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I dont usually ride in the nude.
Come on JD. Who are you trying to fool? The myth of the larger-than-life Thor, God of Thunder look-alike, riding clothe-less Strava runs through Annulus is no myth. Step forth and claim your crown, man!

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I road the southern trails today from Burke rd to abbotsfords. In really good nic. What's the issue with royal talbot trails. I couldn't see anything different. Is it the stuff on the sandy bermy climb that has a tree down?

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Im doing a run of the Yarra trails from the city through to Bonds Rd. I will be the tall beefie handsome bloke on a black Yeti hard tail with the widest bars in the world and should be in the Park across the walkbridge at the end of Gipps Street around 5:30. If you are around lets hook up for a ride.

Oh and dont be alarmed when you see me- I tore my pants on the ride in today, I dont usually ride in the nude.
Already been riding at Warramate today JD. The bacon egg muffins and choc ice cream on waffles I just smashed are making it very hard to get off the couch to meet you anywhere mate. Hopefully next time. Enjoy the trails.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I road the southern trails today from Burke rd to abbotsfords. In really good nic. What's the issue with royal talbot trails. I couldn't see anything different. Is it the stuff on the sandy bermy climb that has a tree down?
yeah thats the stuff Charlie- Shake has done a good job of closing it off and cleaning it up- it was a disgrace before.

If you didn't notice anything different then that's a good thing. Someone had had a rush of blood to the head & some time in the last couple of months had started cutting in a new section down to the exit of the RT facility- for any of their perceived good intentions, it was a Barry Crocker of an effort. Yeah, according to Matt C the downed tree was across the sandy bermy 'descent' (generally I tend to climb up the other side) on that southern part of the hill. Going by the size of the tree by the trail edge it would've been an absolute doozy to unsuspectingly run into if you had been coming down there at pace. Props to Matt C for dragging it off. Apparently it was a bit like crocodile wrestling. Sadly I could actually see where a significant amount of riding traffic had actually ridden around the downed tree rather than moving it from across the trail- even appears like someone at some stage wrapped some red/white hazard bunting around it. MTBers are a weird bunch sometimes.

yeah thats the stuff Charlie- Shake has done a good job of closing it off and cleaning it up- it was a disgrace before.
It wasn't me that closed the bulk of it off. I originally discovered it purely by chance courtesy of a discrete nature call- went a few meters into the bush to do my biz & it was the uniformity of the debris on the slope that gave it away. Wandered further in & then backtracked the length of it to the top before realising the extent of the work. Going by the 4x4 tyre marks in the grass I suspect it was PV that spied the new works & put all the debris across it at the bottom.

Wow so the southern trails are alive today! Went for a brisk midday roll to sort out a particularly nasty rock (to both walkers & mtbers alike) I'd dubbed 'Clipper', between the PB & SPBH. On my way back towards the SPBH I got a massive blast of glare from something on the riverbank a ways off in the distance. Closer to where I thought the source was I look over the edge & sure enough there was a fellow laid out reading a book in the sun & dressed in a Cling-Wrap ensemble (shit you not) from chest down to below his waist- thankfully I could make out that he was at least wearing underpants underneath it & going by the pile of clothes next to him he'd clearly (no pun intended) donned his Danoz Direct weight-loss system upon arrival at his sunning spot. The weird shit you see on the YTs truly never ceases to amaze. Highlight of the day- coming across a trumpeter & saxophonist laying down a killer jam session above Dights Falls. Was so rad I actually pulled up for 10min to listen to them. Only crossed paths with 3 other riders & 2 pairs of walkers in the 3hrs I was out on the trails- mint!

Out at crack of dawn this morning and came across the elusive kangaroo! Seemed to be a happy soul as he skipped his way past me. Otherwise only came across one rider at about 7.30am by the pipe bridge and many runners.
Any news of a meet?

Matt C

Likes Dirt
I can be at Burnley st bridge by 6:45 - 7pm most nights. Day off this Tuesday so can meet wherever is convenient for most.
Shakes, you have a habit of coming across some bizarre stuff out there. I I think I know the rock you had dubbed "clipper". No doubt it's collected a few quick releases or derailleurs here and there.

Am working from home pretty well all of next week so I should be able to meet with you for a cheeky spin on Tues if you like, Matt C.

Slow and Useless, sounds like a different rock. There's quite a few sniper rocks out there on the trail edge. The one I hammered out was like a big finger of rock that poked smack bang in the middle of the trail. If it weren't for the fact that the neighbouring tree trunk leans into the trail then I'd have left it. The one in question, coupled with the tree leaning in, was 600mm wide with a 450mm high vertical face either side which meant that you effectively were left with a 100mm wide track to get around it, or you had to brush your head & back up against the trunk in order to get over it. Going by the marks on the rock & crumpled foliage on the low side there'd been no shortage of peeps who had smacked it pretty hard with a pedal or derailleur & been jettisoned over the edge. Likewise the tree trunk had developed marks from bars & general scrubs where people had tried to avoid the rock outcrop. Easiest solution was to break out the bulk of the hazard vs continuing to mark the tree or compromising the trail shoulder.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
10am at the pipe bridge suits me too.
The rock Shakes described is the one I was thinking of. I like the rocky sections on the Yarra trails but that little bugger I'm glad to see go. Cheers mate.