Yarra Trails regulars

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Is this the ST up on the fence

I hope it ain't the fast run down to the boulevard- it's pretty fast and hard to pull up for an obstacle
I'm not sure of the bit your talking about JD but if you look at the strava map it's the ST (red line) to the right of the boulevard. You can even see a little blip where I walked a few logs away

Last edited:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Completely trivial question Charlie, but why didn't you do all of the teardrop on the left? It doesn't matter, just curious.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Completely trivial question Charlie, but why didn't you do all of the teardrop on the left? It doesn't matter, just curious.
I was still a bit sore from the weekend coaster so taking it easy. That's all. That screen shot shows my turnaround point and from there I headed to Bruce's and finished at Burke rd( where I started)

Yeah, you're on the money CharlieDontSurf- that's the section.

The individual/s responsible have certainly been very active the last couple of months & I just hope they don't up the ante. Some may remember a period in 05/06 where this was being done through that same section & the ST above the Studley Park boathouse, but when it was being cleared as quickly as it was being dragged across trail, the nutter responsible (presumably) then upped their game & started putting strands of fishing line across trails (fast descent on legal ST down from boulie to SPBH, the ST that cuts through crit loop/turnaround above SPBH/Dights Falls & along the ST behind that lone Jesuit Soc house near hospice on SP Rd- often at HT height or 60cm off ground i.e. not to take you head off but definitely to try & send you OTB), dropping bags of smashed glass (ST where new bench overlooks the convent & children's farm) along lengths of the trail, offcuts of timber with nails through them buried (also on ST behind Jes Soc house). Made several reports with supporting images to both Parks & police & they were very proactive about monitoring the area when it was happening, so yeah it's definitely not a situation I'd like to see occuring again- particularly given the rider numbers are now 5-6 fold on what it was back then for the southern YT network.

That was when the first lot of really proactive dialogue started with Parks & Libby Jude (Ranger in Charge at time)in that Yarra Bend area re mtbers as a recognised user group & useful/credible public monitoring & volunteer labour service similar to the Friends of the Yarra group. Powers shifted, agendas changed, resources eroded/redirected & unfortunately it lost momentum as a result of restructuring & new appointments in Parks Vic. And while I respected the position of the new chap, sadly it was like stepping back into the dark ages for mtbers being recognised as a legitimate & conscientious user group in the area.

Really encouraging to see how things seem to be transpiring out at Candlebark. Hopefully it's a good indicator that with Brendan Sullivan's appointment at Parks in turn there's an equally progressive team of Rangers (clearly going by the CB developments) & a cultural shift that recognises mtbers as having a great deal to offer, not only as a responsible user group & labour force but also as part of the social knit that ties these parklands together & makes the parks themselves viable & easily justified as worth retaining/formalising as a key link or piece of open space for the public to enjoy.

redbruce

Eats Squid
He's still at it. This is today. I moved these logs a few days ago. I moved them further away this time
Looks like a nice erosion candidate (is that a fall line track or my imagination). While I don't condone the anarchists actions, maybe rerouting the track might address potential concerns.

Last edited:
So did I pass any of you guys today on the southern trails.... A group of 3 at the tear drop, then said hello when stopped above studley park boathouse descent. (One beardy tattoed gent and two others?)

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I didn't see anyone else on the trails between chandler and abbotsford. I think you bumped into a mate of mine riding in a group of 3 who fits that description.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Trail champs

A reminder folks- if you would like to help along the Yarra Trails - please let George know ASAP @ Yarratrails
Cheers

Rode this evening from Chandler Highway to Bellbird picnic area. Fairly muddy and lots of puddles. Little nerve racking next the river on a track that slippery.

I don't know much of the singletrack at that end, so if anyone is riding down that way over the weekend, and doesn't mind some (slow) company, let me know.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Trail Work Session Sunday 14th

Hi Guys,

The next trail work session for the Candlebark trail network is scheduled for Sunday 14th June. This time starting a little later at 10am. Hopefully a Sunday session will give those who have other commitments on Saturdays the opportunity to participate as well.

This time we'll do things a little differently. The work will primarily be continuing with the winterisation of the trails so nothing exciting. This will however be an opportunity for those who are keen to become more involved with trail management and development to meet and learn more about what is expected of us as trail enthusiasts with responsibility for our trails. We will also use this as a training session and properly assess and grade problem spots for good drainage, asses bike tyre pressure points upon the trail and the concept of fixing a problem spot by making adjustments to the trail 10m before the problem spot. We must lead by example and discourage people from digging unsightly and unsustainable drainage trenches into the trail. These will be strategies that will be useful when managing your particular part of the trail.

We would also like to invite you to bring your own trail tools to this session. There will be the odd spare one to use but please do bring your own.

If the weather is kind and we're not too tired form the work we may very well throw a leg over a bike and do a lap. This is actually a very important part of the education exercise because riding the trail after work has been done uncovers all sorts of potential issues that are not immediately obvious when working on that trail. We will expand on this in future sessions as well.

So if you would like to participate on Sunday the 14th, please let us know at: http://www.yarratrails.com.au/volunteer.html

kwikee

Likes Dirt
These signs have been put up around the area behind the Somme where you turn off at the windmill. Looks like some new trails/jumps have been built and Parks Vic don't like. I assume we can still ride through there in the wetter months though?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yes mate just stick to the main trail. I have often seen Parks in there when riding and had a chat. Go idea to keep out of the Somme in the wet.

Any new stuff has been closed and repaired as much as possible. Now only the one access trail through to the Main Yarra Trail.

If you are in the area please just keep an eye on the paddock and ensure no new stuff is happening.

My only fear is that the signs might draw awareness to the area where it was rather ignored in the past. Mention jumps to the kids and it is their rebellious right to get digging.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Tell me about it, JD.
Emerson, this sort of thing placed at points around the trail helps funnel some of that element to put their energies toward the improvement of the trail network.

And of course positive action to add validity......

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Hi Guys,

An email just went out to all who are on our trail maintenance email list. If you didn't receive an email and think that you should be on our list then please let me know.

I rode the trails earlier this week and the efforts of everyone who have contributed are making a huge difference to these trails that have been starved of appropriate love over the years. This next work session is more basic work to improve the sustainability and longevity of the trails and to enable us to move to the next phase of trail management and development.

A brief description of the scope of work for this Sunday is here: http://www.yarratrails.com.au/trailwork/2015-06-14/candlebark-work.html We may not get through it all on Sunday but with a few good hands make a decent go of it.