Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah all good thanks Shakes. Didnt mean to give Mars a hardtime- just wanted his perspective on the problem areas. I have invited him to join in......................:tea:

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Yeah all good thanks Shakes. Didnt mean to give Mars a hardtime- just wanted his perspective on the problem areas. I have invited him to join in......................:tea:
No sweat Big JD, only took it all as positive. I think it is good to see such commitment. Presently my time gets spent working on SG and surrounds, although getting tired now and wanting to ride more, but trail work just makes you feel really good inside which is why I keep going.

Gotta get you guys up there for a trundle soon, just give me a hoy when things suit.

velolove

Likes Dirt
Likewise that climb/descent that you're referring to heading down river from the Pipebridge; it's a perfect example of what uninterrupted water flow down a high-volume mixed user trail does. Poor thing catches all the water that sheets off the hillside then gets an uninhibited 250m downhill run along the length of the trail. Worst part is that it all then pools inslope in a 1.5m deep x 7m long culvert on the LHS (heading d'river), fills, then turns a 10m section of trail at the foot of the slope to toast as it overflows & seeps into it in turn becoming that ridiculous bog (Big JD loves this particular bog).
What do you think about using the dirt from the bog hole that you dug out to build a water bar or 2 to divert water from that corner?

What do you think about using the dirt from the bog hole that you dug out to build a water bar or 2 to divert water from that corner?
A couple of small rolling grade dips that encourage the water to move away from the trail would be the ideal solution, however given the track is one of PVs "designated" trails (though entirely devoid of up-keep by them), vs the string of informal trails heading east incl Candlebark that are frequented by riders, I simply won't touch it beyond cleaning out the years of silt & neglect on the original culvert & trying to reinstate the original edging in the very bad areas to allow the standing water to gently move off trail. The presence of the cement storm water lid nearby is also another reason why I'm not prepared to go & do any major digging etc up from where the bog was cleaned out.

Literally have sent countless comms to PV since 2002 imploring them to invest some time & energy into looking after & correcting the trail between SP boathouse & the Chandler. Sadly the problem is deeply rooted & clearly so confronting for the organisation that I don't see PV investing any time or energy into fixing any of the issues on the trail if the last 15yrs are anything to go by, & they're worse off financially now than they were then. Nearest thing to ANY quantifiable work that has been done specifically to the trails by PV or any other contractor or organisation between SPBH & the Chandler is the horrible half-baked resurfacing from the bat colony viewing platform in a straight line down to where the ground levels out at the small wetland area on the LHS, the installation of the timber railing further along closer to the Eastern & a 4m section of retaining wall near the foot of the long stairs over near SPBH. Beyond that they've screwed in a few plates to hold together old retaining work.

To give you an idea of just how crazy the situation has been, with the exception of the 4m section near SPBH (with the I-beam saddle post holding them in) & the two dips between the Pipebidge & the Chandler, almost every section of retaining work that has been installed or (in a handful of cases) replaced between SPBH & the Chandler was put in using the almost 250m of scaffolding planks that were scored through an old-school Greek neighbour I lived next to for 10yrs in Abbotsford who donated them to me when he retired, and then the generosity of the brothers who used to own the old timber yard (88 Queens Pde) opposite the Council depot on Queens Pde who gave me 40 star pickets & 200 of the plastic yellow caps for the tops of them- once upon a time every single star picket between the Chandler & the bat colony had a cap wired onto the tops. All done by the cold light of head torches & a few like minded people who were prepared to get off their arse in the dead of night & actually do something to curb the rapid deterioration occurring not through bike wear but just the nature of these silly & dated lines of trail that have been in place since before the 70s. All of the retaining work between the SPBH & the Chandler was done over a 6yr period between 2002 & 2008, & was only ever done after reporting trail slumps & them being left longer than a month without being fixed by the powers that be- & they were only EVER meant to be temporary measures until the powers that be extracted the digit & fixed the cause of the slumps in the first place....and surprise surprise, every single one of those "temporary" retaining sections are still there & PV gladly go back & slap tech-screws & plates on joins in the retaining work rather than actually doing it properly as they have the 4m section at the foot of the long stairs. Naturally once all of the lengths of scaff were exhausted & it was abundantly clear PV were not going to do ANY trail works to correct issues then unfortunately it was the death-nell as far as I was concerned & subsequently I stopped investing huge amounts of time trying to stem the deterioration through the organisation's inaction. It's a thorn in the side for me & until PV get real about respecting & understanding just how bad it's gotten in the last 4yrs & that trails are just like roads ie they need care & maintenance, then I can't keep going & doing major remedial works on their "designated trails". The reality is that with a great deal of considered work the standing puddles between the bat colony & the Eastern have been reduced from a total of 28 standing water sections to just 6, but yet if a PV person came across me do you think they'd even take a second to appreciate what's been preserved by using trail guidelines of the USDA, USFD & IMBA to create technically sound & applied solutions to the very real & growing problems with their designated trail network? Hell no, they'd throw the book at me in a heartbeat.

They need to start owning the fact that these designated trails aren't deteriorating because of bikes, they're deteriorating badly because they get absolutely sweet FA care & maintenance. And it has been that way since I started using the trails in 2000. In this southern/western pocket every ounce of effort these days just feels like a band-aid solution to a situation that PV aren't actually genuinely prepared to address, be it because of finance & resource shortages, complexity of state legislation, or purely because they don't want the liability.

Either way, it's an intensely messed up situation.

Last edited:
The GF Long Weekend Friday Social (2/10/2015)

On a much more positive note, I've only just realised that some monkey in a tie has given the state a public holiday tomorrow!

I know it's late notice & undoubtedly many of you will already have plans, however I thought I'd put the call out to the RB community & organise a low-key social roll of the YTs. Proposing a 2-4hr ride departing from the western end of Pipebridge- direction to be determined by numbers & feels. Depending on the turnout & how much stig people have packed, then if need be (for other users' safety) we'll break it down into a couple of small groups to ensure that everyone gets a fun roll in without having to worry anyone else. And yes, no one gets left behind.

Those who wish to join, please don't rely on your fellow Burner to get you out of trouble- pack water, spares & a great attitude. Depending on how people feel a post-ride beer may be called on to close the day's social affair.

The tempo will be social & more than anything just a great way for like-minds to get together. Temps will be in the high twenties so please remember to slip, slop, slap & to pack the fuel you need to tide you over for a few hours. Attitudes & egos are absolutely to be left at home, as too your GU & Powerbars. If you're intending on using tomorrow for a haul-arse ride, this is not the social ride for you.

If you're keen to join then please give a shout-out so I've a rough idea of numbers to expect.

Big Wheel Jump1.jpg

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Damn. Poor timing for me. Our house goes on the market in a few days and needs a complete rebuild in the next 3 days.
Last time I organized a yt social ride and bbq, 2 riders turned up and it PISSED DOWN. Hope yours is better.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Would love to join but currently sitting on the beach of a tropic island.. enjoy the ride hope you have a good turn out.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coasters back! Was on Magnetic Island. Awesome.

Can't ride tomorrow but mucho kudos to Shakes for organising. Good on you mate. I would if I could but My boyo is playing cricket in the morning so am there for the am. Will wonder out at some point over the weekend I hope and in the spirit of Shakes organisation will let people know. I think it might be good if we all post when we're riding, we're clearly a good group but don't hook up much. Maybe this summer we can, if it doesn't work we're no worse off but if it does we get to know a fellow rider a bit more.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Good on you Shakes. I've already organized a ride at the Youies with all the staff as public holidays are the only chance we get to head out together.

Shakes is a great bloke folks. If you don't already know the Yarra Trails like the back of your hand, it'll be well worth tagging along. While you're out there, keep in mind he is one of a very few trail fairies (please don't call him that, you may end up having a sweet solo ride tomorrow) that is responsible for the maintenance of what we are very lucky to have in our backyard.

You lucky bugger, Coaster. You too Rob_74. Not that I should complain, I'll be on a beach in Qld for 2wks by the end of next Wednesday- can't come soon enough. Sun, surf, trails, fishing, surf, trails, fishing, surf, trails, fishing, surf & more trails- aaargh, the anticipation is making me as giddy as Beiber groupie.

Without question that is indeed the priority for you tomorrow, Coaster. All the best to your youngin'. Quality time spent that money can't buy, & memories he'll relish when he's older & wiser himself. Can say that from experience having been sent off to boarding school(Nhulunbuy, NT was home then) 3500kms away when I was 11 through until I graduated high school. There wasn't a weekend through those formative years & into my teens that didn't go by where I wish my Dad could have been there for those moments (he & Mum might've been able to make it down for 1 or 2 rugby games a year)- even though I know & absolutely understand he would've been there for every single one of them if he could've. The tyranny of distance. And as candid as that may sound, that's no bullshit. The time unfortunately flies by & it's the string of these fleeting moments from those years that help shape & give foundation to who we are.

To be honest if anyone from the RB clan turns up given the late call it'll be a surprise:cheer2:, but I thought I'd put it out there all the same given it'll be a cracker day & a work-free Friday for many. As it stands there's 2 other friends that have confirmed they'll be coming for a roll, but with this said the pair are currently being somewhat reprimanded (read: deep shit) by their significant others for making the snap call to stay on in Tas for "a couple more days of riding", as in 5 days longer. I've no doubt there will be a turning of the scrotal vices (rightfully- yeh, I might be a tad jealous they had the balls to make that call in the first place), if not already, once they announce they're off for a roll again in the morning, having only arrived back last night.

Either way if I gotta roll solo tomorrow then it won't be much different to my cheeky mid-week spins, but any company with a love of the mtb is certainly welcome company.

Generous words, Matt. Top chap yourself- must get together for spin again sometime soon. Enjoy the day out at the Youies, should be pretty primo out there tomorrow & plenty of happy heads about. If I wasn't having to do a bright & early run down to Geelong to pick up these exchange students for 7am I'd realistically probably be here too...& yes, there was a side of me that genuinely thought to myself, "Hmm, could I fit 5 bikes on & in the wagon with passengers & take them for Yangs fang on the way back to Melbourne?"

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coasters back! Was on Magnetic Island. Awesome.

Can't ride tomorrow but mucho kudos to Shakes for organising. Good on you mate. I would if I could but My boyo is playing cricket in the morning so am there for the am. Will wonder out at some point over the weekend I hope and in the spirit of Shakes organisation will let people know. I think it might be good if we all post when we're riding, we're clearly a good group but don't hook up much. Maybe this summer we can, if it doesn't work we're no worse off but if it does we get to know a fellow rider a bit more.
Hey I was at Maggie!

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Snake Season

First snake sighting for the season, a little one in the Somme.

Road Burke to Bonds and the ST is all dry a rock hard. Some of the corners out near Bonds are already loose and sandy.

Thanks to the trail fairies that have done some work in Bruce’s loop, the lack of ruts from 2/3’s of the lap onward makes a big difference.

Plenty of people out, I met Redbruce and Co at the fallen tree in the dipper and regaled them with stories of feet not pointing in the right direction – I think some of Bruce’s crew might be going to sell their bikes and take up golf now.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I sneaked in a late arvo blast. Very few out. Trails dusty as. Like summer. Sleeping all morning so couldn't make shakes ride. Shift work. Fucks alot of things up in life.
Sorry for scaring your neighbours and children in uniform last night JD